Factory Rifle that likes 77gr TMK?

Which Factory 223?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I doubt it really matters for what you want to use it for. Most of the reports I’ve seen both are usually accurate. I don’t like the stock on the Ruger myself. And there are probably a few more aftermarket options for the Howa. But if keeping it completely stock I would pick the one you like best.

I did consider them. Tikka makes a great rifle, no doubt, but I'm just not sure what value I'd be getting for the extra money. If it were up to me, I'd buy another Savage. Most of my rifles I've built myself off of Savage actions. But their twist rates are too slow for my needs. I also want to make the purchase through Cabelas (Ive got GC's to use), and they don't have that model Tikka in that price range. I feel that one of the above rifles will kill a deer just as dead as that Tikka would.

You will absolutely get the additional cost value over the Ruger or Howa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

eric1115

WKR
I've owned gen 1 RA, Howa mini, and T3x. Absolutely the T3x is worth the price difference vs equivalent RA, and less dramatically but still worth it vs Howa.

The Ruger tends to shoot fine, but reliable function is their real weakness. Magazines, cycling, fair-at-best triggers, flimsy stocks, bolt that binds when cycling, the list goes on. People talk about the "zipper" sound the bolt makes, but for me that's way down the list about what I didn't like about the one I had and the others I've handled/shot.

Howa has similar weaknesses, but they're less severe and more easily remedied.

Tikkas typically feed/function very very well, magazines work great, triggers are wonderful and and safe/reliable, Tupperware stocks are stiffer and more functional than most, smooth bolt that doesn't bind, basically all the things I didn't like in the RA are non-issue or strength with the T3x.

If I was given a RA tomorrow in a cartridge I needed/wanted, I'd sell it and put the money toward a T3X. I'm done dealing with headache rifles.