Factory ammo

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's not really about "need" when you reload, it's about options. I don't shoot much anymore (I shoot my bow), but I still reload and I also still buy some ammo's when I find it for the right price.

KenLee

WKR
Personally I've moved over to Federal Premium for everything. I realize it's not the most accurate out there, but it does everything I need. I don't really enjoy target shooting, and similarly impose max shot distance.

Seems like every physical retailer stocks it, and can even be found online for $30/20 rd box for magnum loads. I have really enjoyed eliminating the variable of worrying about ammo.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I haven't seen any recent production of Federal NBT in the calibers I buy

Macintosh

WKR
I reloaded for sporting clays, about 5,000 rounds a year for a decade. Realized I was spending so much time reloading even with progressive loaders, etc, and I didnt really enjoy loading, so I sold it all. I've been more into rifles, rifle hunting, got into casual PRS/NRL matches, etc the past several years and have a much steeper learning curve there, so its been fun...but the ammo is nowhere close to the weak link for me, my rifles are in common cartridges (6.5cm, 270win, 30-06, etc) so I dont see any benefit whatsoever to reloading. I'm sure I could roll my own "premium" ammo for less$, but at this point its more about time than anything else--I like shooting and guns, not reloading, and I dont have nearly the time I'd like. I dont feel handicapped by this even a little.

Overdrive

WKR
For me I just really enjoy sitting down and loading my own, some of the calibers I own factory ammo is $100+ a box for a premium bullet and that limits my amount of shooting thru the year.

I personally have 1 rifle set up for long range that uses factory ammo, at the time finding good 6.5 high BC bullets was tough, now that I have some, I'm developing a load I like.

Crusader

WKR
For me I just really enjoy sitting down and loading my own, some of the calibers I own factory ammo is $100+ a box for a premium bullet and that limits my amount of shooting thru the year.

I personally have 1 rifle set up for long range that uses factory ammo, at the time finding good 6.5 high BC bullets was tough, now that I have some, I'm developing a load I like.
I'm in the same boat. I started out reloading to "save money" and to improve on factory ammo accuracy, tailor ammo to my rifles. I am pretty sure I saved money (did a lot of shooting) but now that I've had all the gear, I KNOW I'm saving money. Would be kinda silly at this point to quit reloading and go back to factory. For me it is a fun hobby and very satisfying, knowing I've produced outstanding accuracy in my rounds. Maybe it's not critical for hunting but still a cool feeling.

I had the crazy busy life back in the day too, but my kids are grown and I'll retire next year. For some of you younger guys, yes your life is very busy but one day you'll be where us older guys are and you will have more time to reload so I'd say just stay the course, hang onto your gear and use it again some day. Nothing gets less expensive with time!

Laramie

WKR
I can make more money in my free time doing things I'm good at than I can save by reloading. I keep 2-3 years worth of same lot factory ammo for all my rifles. I am very comfortable to 500 yards with all of my big game rifles with factory ammo.

All of that said, I maintain the ability to reload because at some point, that equipment and those skills may be needed at some point in the future.

Weldor

WKR
There are days I wonder why I spend all this time reloading, then I go to a store and look at the prices of 6.5 PRC and a few others and keep at it. I also like to horse trade components powder etc, so it works for me. I have also found out through the years, find what the rifle likes than load up all the brass ,powder and bullets for that particular one. Then restock. If I am lucky I can manage to shoot about 500 to 700 rds a year. I think it's worth the time IMHO.

MaddMatt

FNG
Both. I'll hunt factory ammo until I have a suitable amount of brass put back, then I start rolling my own.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with factory ammo . I found a couple of brands that shoot really well out of my rifle. I make a dope chart once i'm at my hunting spot-ish. I just tape it to the stock. I do reload but its mainly because I shoot at home and its cheaper that way. I have some really accurate loads but once all of the stuff became hard for me to get I just buy factory . I have been lucky with my rifles in that they all take 1 of 2 brands very well.

I found when I reloaded I just shot more ammo. Lol.
Then I got a ammunition sponsor and I shoot way too much.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I use factory - looked at reloading but could not justify the up front expense based on round count. Plus, I am not certain I could improve beyond my currently shooting ability if I did. There is always the option to go with 'premium' ammunition these days as well...

If you have the equipment and loads you want - before liquidating, load up all the rounds you can to the point of running out of a given component(s); presumably, you have it all because you already worked up the loads you like?

The one suggestion I’ll give you if you go this way, once you find that load, stock up and always keep at least a 2 year hunting buffer, better yet 3-5 years. Ammo supplies can get crazy.
I agree with this ^^^^ and will expand on it - I had a pet 'premium' factory round a rifle shot far better than others. Every so often, I'd grab a sale priced box since it was a spendy offering [relative to others]. That particular round is no longer offered from the factory. Discontinued. Thankfully, I have several boxes but will run out eventually.

I only shoot factory and there us a couple combos that work the best in my rifles so I just stocked up on that particular type. Shoot better than most... drop everything I want it to

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good points made for both sides of this. I got into reloading back in the mid/early 90’s simply out of necessity. I certainly don’t do it because I enjoy it, it’s a task in a series of tasks that is required to achieve my desired end results. Factory components and QC were terrible thus factory ammo was just junk. I don’t think that’s the case these days. That being said, I’ve found myself going 100MPH down a never ending rabbit hole chasing the best possible groups and never being satisfied. It can always be better. All of it is my fault and all of it could be prevented. But it is what it is, when I step back and look at things and what my objectives are and how much I shoot, reloading just doesn’t seem necessary.

At the end of the day I want to shoot and ethically kill an animal at under 500 yards. At this point in my life all the shooting I do with rifles capable of doing this is simply in prep for the hunt.

kevmarks11

FNG
Classified Approved
Dabbled in having friends reload for me and went back to factory. Shoot 243 and 300 mag so there's plenty of good choices. Picked what I liked and shot good. Stock up every year

Maz7869

FNG
I wouldn’t get rid of the equipment I like the option if or when there’s another shortage, but I see the temptation if only shooting to 500yd. I started reloading about 4 years ago when I shot a good amount of PRS and couldn’t find my preferred ammo, while I don’t shoot PRS anymore I still shoot out to a mile on occasion so for me reloading is worth it I let the brass pile up then load a years worth of long range ammo on a rainy weekend sometime leading up to the season. The only round I come out ahead on is probably 30 Nosler but I got used to hole in hole accuracy on long guns. I did narrower reloading down to 3 calibers 6 creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 30 Nosler. I buy factory ammo for everything else.

I’m your run of the mill eastern deer and hog hunter. I use standard chambering 270, 7mm08, 30-06, 308 And 350 legend.
I have always used factory ammo. In the course of 40 years I have had good luck. I had a box of 7mm08 hornady whitetail with a few bad primers and a few boxes of 270 remington coreloks that I suspect where messed up as they were shooting erratic groups. I currently shoot Federal with nosler bts Nosler bts in 7mm08s, norma whitetail in 270s, Winchester deer season in 350 Legend and Remington coreloks In 30-06. They all kill deer and hogs at the 20-220 yard ranges I shoot. I don't shoot other than for checking zero and hunting.
I sort of wish I had gotten into reloading years ago. I probably have a lifetime supply of hunting ammo for every rifle I use. And probably some I dont…..

Factory rifle ammo has been sub-moa for me and super solid out to 400 yards that I've practiced at.

I did need to start trying out 5 different factory loads to find out which best matched my specific rifle. The best was about .75moa and the worst about 1.75moa, so there was a notable difference.

I actually load handgun rounds but with factory loads being so accurate I never found the need to load rifle rounds for hunting purposes. Some friends just enjoy it as a hobby to geek out on how accurate they can get their shots, which is very cool if that interests you.

Luked

WKR
Let me know and ill drive to KY to take that reloading stuff off your hands and give you some more garage space :D
I had a ton of reloading stuff a year ago. Got rid of it to fun another project that turned into a nightmare. That nightmare is now gone and I have no reloading stuff left. So now I am back at trying to gather reloading equiptment. Guns and hunting are about the only "hobby/past time" i have left now after the night mare project is now gone.