Extremely Impressed - Savage Timberline 280AI

SloppyJ

WKR
Wanted a lefty bolt gun, wanted a 280ai, found one on the classifieds a while back. I thought it was a longshot but I got a deal on it and put some nice glass on. Figured it was worth a shot.

I loaded up about 6 or 7 different loads all with 160gr Partitions and hit the range. These were my results at 100yd. Not sure I could ask for much more. The worst group was barely over 1". I tried 4831sc and RL23.

Is the bolt the absolute smoothest ever, no. But who cares if it's reliable and shoots like that. Can't wait to do some seating depth testing and then some 10rd groups. I have guns that are MUCH more expensive that don't shoot half this well. 20230527_100141.jpg

20230527_110256.jpg

Chuckybmd

WKR
That’s awesome!

Any idea on the total gun weight? I have a friend that swears by 280 Ackley improved. I’m still riding the seven mag bus.

Any idea on what kind of muzzle velocity you are shooting with the 160 grain partitions?

Gen273

WKR
Savage rifles may not be sexy or cosmopolitan, but they are usually absolutely shooters! And they don't break the bank to boot. I will take a group like that all day long. Congratulation.

Great bullet (Partition) and great cartridge! Savage' (French pronunciation) are shooter rifles too. One of the snipers on our SRT team had his own personal rifle he used which was a Savage' and it shot as good as the rest of our rifles.
I get 3186 fps out of my 280AI with 140 gr. Accubonds and 3230 fps with 140 gr. Partitions. They both shoot great and to the same point of impact also.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
That’s awesome!

Any idea on the total gun weight? I have a friend that swears by 280 Ackley improved. I’m still riding the seven mag bus.

Any idea on what kind of muzzle velocity you are shooting with the 160 grain partitions?
So I just started reloading this year. I'm currently trying to research chronos before I buy so I don't have hard numbers. Nosler data says 2962fps with a 26" barrel. Mine is 22" so I'm hoping high 2800s. I had no pressure signs so I might sneak it up just a bit more and maybe pull it a hair back off the lands just in case.

As far as weight, she's not light. Published spec is 8lbs bare rifle and the scope is beyond heavy as well. I looked at a savage ultralight but the stock on them was a joke, I could touch it to the barrel with minimal pressure. This setup has their aluminum bedding block and is much more robust. When it comes time I'll put a proof barrel on it but not touching it if it continues to put up groups like that.

ra3043

FNG
Love the 280ai, cartridge was way ahead of its time. PS works great on big mule deer too!

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Savage rifles may not be sexy or cosmopolitan, but they are usually absolutely shooters! And they don't break the bank to boot. I will take a group like that all day long. Congratulation.
This is only my second savage but the first one is a shooter too. They're doing something right. Combine that with the fact I can buy a prefit and swap the barrel myself and it's a no brainer.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Great bullet (Partition) and great cartridge! Savage' (French pronunciation) are shooter rifles too. One of the snipers on our SRT team had his own personal rifle he used which was a Savage' and it shot as good as the rest of our rifles.
I get 3186 fps out of my 280AI with 140 gr. Accubonds and 3230 fps with 140 gr. Partitions. They both shoot great and to the same point of impact also.

This is my first year using the partition and I have a very good load worked up for my 30-06 with 165gr accubonds. Poor bullet performance and lack of consistency during covid pushed me over the edge to start reloading my own. Can't wait to get out in a few months and see how they perform.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Love the 280ai, cartridge was way ahead of its time. PS works great on big mule deer too!
When I was researching calibers I kept landing back on the 280ai. It is the perfect balance of performance, recoil, and the ability to shave a few inches off the barrel to spin on a suppressor. After shooting it for the first time last weekend, I'm beyond happy with my choice.

ra3043

FNG
When I was researching calibers I kept landing back on the 280ai. It is the perfect balance of performance, recoil, and the ability to shave a few inches off the barrel to spin on a suppressor. After shooting it for the first time last weekend, I'm beyond happy with my choice.
Ironically enough I hadnt heard much about it until my grandfather handed me his (he loves building rifles for himself in the winter and reloading). He really wanted a point and shoot rifle- for most scenarios- that didnt beat him up. This was probably at least 5 years ago if not longer. I filled my tag with his rifle that year and was bit by the 280ai bug instantly!

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Ironically enough I hadnt heard much about it until my grandfather handed me his (he loves building rifles for himself in the winter and reloading). He really wanted a point and shoot rifle- for most scenarios- that didnt beat him up. This was probably at least 5 years ago if not longer. I filled my tag with his rifle that year and was bit by the 280ai bug instantly!
That's cool that it has that stigma of "grandpa's" rifle for you. It seems to be a niche caliber that not too many hunters know about. At least here in the "mountains" in the south.

I came across it a bit and then this winter I started listening to the backcountry hunting podcast and JVB has nothing but great things to say and it pushed me over the edge. I would have never considered it before I started reloading. That opened a lot of doors too.

This is my first year using the partition and I have a very good load worked up for my 30-06 with 165gr accubonds. Poor bullet performance and lack of consistency during covid pushed me over the edge to start reloading my own. Can't wait to get out in a few months and see how they perform.
You will be very pleased with the Accubond and the Partition. The Accubond 140 grs. is what I shot my grizzly bear with.

WCB

WKR
I have currently 8 Savages all newer (6 yrs old and newer). 300wm down to .17 Hornet. All of them are tack drivers and have had ZERO issues with any of them. "Buttery smooth bolt" the least of my wants or needs in a rifle. When actually working a bolt like a guy should I feel zero difference between my Savages or the semi custom 700s I have or the M70s I've shot, or the Tikkas I've shot. It is 100% a none thought in my head.

TheHammer

WKR
Welcome to the 110 club! This is what I’ve come to learn from all of them. I’m up to 10 110s. I’ve had 300yd 5shot groups that look like this out of my 300wm. After shooting it some the bolt will smooth out.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
I have currently 8 Savages all newer (6 yrs old and newer). 300wm down to .17 Hornet. All of them are tack drivers and have had ZERO issues with any of them. "Buttery smooth bolt" the least of my wants or needs in a rifle. When actually working a bolt like a guy should I feel zero difference between my Savages or the semi custom 700s I have or the M70s I've shot, or the Tikkas I've shot. It is 100% a none thought in my head.
As much as I want to build out a Tikka, I'm not sure it could get any better. I think I'll be stacking up a few more 110s. However, there's a soft spot in my heart for Model 70s too and I can never pass one up but I've never had one that shot like that savage.

Harvey_NW

WKR
So I just started reloading this year. I'm currently trying to research chronos before I buy so I don't have hard numbers. Nosler data says 2962fps with a 26" barrel. Mine is 22" so I'm hoping high 2800s. I had no pressure signs so I might sneak it up just a bit more and maybe pull it a hair back off the lands just in case.
My load is pretty close, I'm at 58.4gr H4831SC behind 162 ELD-M in a 24" Bartlein barrel. At 160 rounds down the tube I'm avg 2820 right now, but I built it on a Tikka action and used the factory mag so I'm jumping a country mile. If you can put up an optical chrono without it being a pain and want to save some coin, I have been extremely happy with my ProChrono DLX. The bluetooth is convenient and the app is user friendly. It hasn't missed a single shot with the diffusers on, and was on par with what I was getting from my Magnetospeed sporter.

Chuckybmd

WKR
My load is pretty close, I'm at 58.4gr H4831SC behind 162 ELD-M in a 24" Bartlein barrel. At 160 rounds down the tube I'm avg 2820 right now, but I built it on a Tikka action and used the factory mag so I'm jumping a country mile. If you can put up an optical chrono without it being a pain and want to save some coin, I have been extremely happy with my ProChrono DLX. The bluetooth is convenient and the app is user friendly. It hasn't missed a single shot with the diffusers on, and was on par with what I was getting from my Magnetospeed sporter.
That’s pretty good speeds. I’m at 2960 with 168 gr Berger in 7 mag. That’s a very small difference. I wish I had considered the 280 AI when purchasing a rifle.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
My 110 Storm in .223 is almost boringly accurate with loads it likes ( when I`m not screwing up the shot! ). No, the bolt doesn`t lift as easily as that of the holiest of holys, a Tikka, but a larger bolt knob really helped that become a non-issue for me, anyway. No functional issues with extraction, ejection or feeding either.

Really looking forward to the arrival of my Model 12 LRPV in .223. It`ll be my main range gun for targets.

Unckebob

WKR
This is only my second savage but the first one is a shooter too. They're doing something right. Combine that with the fact I can buy a prefit and swap the barrel myself and it's a no brainer.

Why would you want to do 10 shot groups with a hunting rifle? The barrel isn't really designed with 10 shot strings in mind.

Love my similar Savage High Country btw. The Acusstock isn't the lightest but the adjustability and stiffness make it a very good stock for the price point,