extreme cold and hydration bladders

Shrek

WKR
Do you have trouble with your bladder and lines freezing ? I have never hunted in exteme cold. How do you deal with it ?

Rackmastr

WKR
I've mountain hunted in -37 celcius before, and its no fun...for anything! Haha.

One thing I've done with my bladder (usually I'd use a bottle in this cold weather) is if I drink out of it, I'll hold the mouthpeice above my head and squeeze it, allowing water to drain back into the bag. Usually the bag has got some clothing, etc near it and wont freeze AS QUICKLY, but will still freeze in that cold weather. I actually do the same in really hot stuff, to keep that first 'gulp' of water a bit cooler than heating up in the blazing sun.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bladder generally doesn't freeze it is the water in the line. To avoid this, when done drinking just blow back into the mouth piece to clear the tube.

jmez

WKR
I do similar to Rackmaster except I just blow the water out of the tube back into the bladder after drinking. It will freeze pretty quickly in the tube and once it does your done. I haven't had my bladder freeze in my pack.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks ! Just doesn't get that cold down here. Two years ago we had a week strait of 14*to 17* mornings but it warmed up quick when the sun came up. Thats as cold as I have hunted.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
During an avalanche course the other day several people had problems with freezing hoses and valves on the hydration bladders. And it wasn't even that cold.

Frans

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the nalgene bottles for cold weather, there are even insulated cases available to keep your water from freezing...I know rei and OR make them, and probably others.

The very best thing about a nalgene bottle for cold weather trips is, at bedtime you can boil water and pour it in, then screw the lid tight and throw it in your sleeping bag! Works like a charm, i woke up about 5 hours after we went to bed and it still had some heat to it....