External GPS phone Antenna

MTHokie

FNG
Anyone know of a backcountry-friendly external GPS receiver that can boost an Android phone's GPS reception? They make lots of them for cars, but I can't find one suitable for the woods. The goal is to increase GPS capability of the phone so that I can use OnX more consistently. I can consistently get GPS signal on my inReach when my phone can't. Of course, the Garmin phone apps and OnX don't talk to each other, so I just want to boost reception of the phone itself. Hopefully, I explained the goal???

budmen

FNG
Following this one I too would be very interested in such a device

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bad Elf GPS Pro+ but I don't think Bad Elf makes that product anymore. You could also look at the Garmin GLO 2. They say it is works with IPad, IPhone and android devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
That GLO 2 looks interesting
I agree. I just don't know exactly how to verify that it will work with OnX. It should as it is just receiving the GPS signal and transferring it to the phone. I may have to do an Amazon order/test/return.

Reactions: BLJ

Jethro

WKR
@MTHokie are you sure there isn't something wrong with your phone? Either in settings or something physically not working. I've never used an android, but your post is the first time I remember anybody saying their phone gps couldn't get a location.

11boo

WKR
@MTHokie are you sure there isn't something wrong with your phone? Either in settings or something physically not working. I've never used an android, but your post is the first time I remember anybody saying their phone gps couldn't get a location.
Came to say that. My iPhone + OnX is pretty reliable out west. Heavy tree cover will gag it for sure, but not for long.

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. But I have been hunting the same general area for the past 6-7 years. I never loose satellite coverage with my inReach, and, in a certain portion of the area, I always loose satellite coverage on my Android phone, as does my buddy who has a different phone (not sure what kind he has).

Meanwhile, after researching a little on Garmin's website and OnX's, it does not sound like the GLO 2 will work. OnX specifically states that their app is not designed to be compatible with external GPS receivers.

EdP

WKR
No GPS signal (satellite) or no phone service (tower)? Even where I can get phone service to download OnX map data, I download an off-line map ahead of time because it works much faster. I have never had a problem getting a GPS satellite signal so I can track my location on an off-line map. Using a Samsung S20.

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
No GPS signal (satellite) or no phone service (tower)? Even where I can get phone service to download OnX map data, I download an off-line map ahead of time because it works much faster. I have never had a problem getting a GPS satellite signal so I can track my location on an off-line map. Using a Samsung S20.
No GPS signal when using offline map.

OP
MTHokie

MTHokie

FNG
I am surprised you guys don't have issues with spotty satellite reception on your phones hunting out west. If cellphone GPS receivers are so good, why do they still sell the Garmin eTrex, Montana, and other GPS handhelds? I always assumed it was because the GPS reception is better on those units than on a phone - just like it seems to be on my inReach. Unfortunately, no OnX on those devises as OnX has now discontinued their Garmin chip.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I am surprised you guys don't have issues with spotty satellite reception on your phones hunting out west. If cellphone GPS receivers are so good, why do they still sell the Garmin eTrex, Montana, and other GPS handhelds? I always assumed it was because the GPS reception is better on those units than on a phone - just like it seems to be on my inReach. Unfortunately, no OnX on those devises as OnX has now discontinued their Garmin chip.
It depends on the phone, low end phones will have less processing power and or chipsets that arent programmed for all the international GPS signals (eg GLONASS, Galileo, etc.). The reason people still buy dedicated GPS devices is because of marketing and most people arent buying high end phones so they think the phones are not "real" GPS devices. My guess is someone will balk at the idea of a $800 phone but buy a $200 phone then buy a $600 garmin. I started buying high end flagship model phones for this reason (and their cameras...) years ago, and do not have spotty GPS reception issues.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Garmin GLO 2 to use with my wifi-only iPad and it works great when I don't have a data connection. I didn't know it when I bought it, but the wifi-only models don't have a GPS receiver, only the cellular-capable models. That said, I have never seen a cellphone have issues with offline OnX use and I have relied on my smartphone as my primary navigation device for a few years now.

11boo

WKR
I have a Montana, i even carried it the first year I started OnX on my iPhone.

Have not touched it since. Both lose service in heavy cover. Both matched up my location so close, I didn’t see any point to carrying the Montana.