External Frame Packs

stephen b

WKR
I will 2nd ( and 3rd, 4th etc) getting the Barneys frame. Best one as an external that I have used. I use to think the Dana frame was the best out there; and for me it was, until I used a Barney's.

I bought just the frame. And though it is not cheap- for around $290 ( plus shipping) - it really is fairly reasonable for what you get. I already had a old REI bag from a frame that is identical in size and shape, and it fit on perfectly. Plus you can lash and secure any load to that frame.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They are built like tanks but also the most uncomfortable pack I've ever worn. The frame is just too short to get any lift at all.

I've packed a lot of meat with my Bull-Pac, and it's actually more comfortable for me than a lot of the fancy, internal frame, load-lifting packs that I've tried.

mmw194287

WKR
I picked up a Kelty Cache Hauler this summer for my moose hunt--worked perfectly with loads of 100+ lbs. The harness adjusts easily, I got positive lift out of the load lifters at 6'2", and loads strap in quickly and securely on top of the load shelf. I can't testify to longevity, but I got it on sale for under $100 (frame only) and I couldn't be happier with it.

OP
Liv2Hunt

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies! I have now plenty of ideas to try out.

stslide

FNG
I've been pretty happy with the comfort and weight transfer of the Dana Short Bed. I went with it over the Long Bed since the bag can be removed and still leave harness and frame in place. The magic wands do wonders for transferring weight. The harness is a little squeaky but not terrible.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Paradox packs. Carries heavy loads the best of all the packs I have used and I have used a lot of them.

I recommend you check out Paradox Packs as well. I haven't had first hand experience with them yet, but I just ordered mine a couple days ago. They have simple modular design that looks promising and the reviews have been solid for both light weights and heavy meat hauling. Pretty excited to test it out.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Evolution and just finished putting together a 4800 cubic inch Cuben bag on a Paradox Unaweep frame. 3 lbs 1 oz with the side zipper and a Cuben Talon.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Ed,

I ordered the Evolution with a 4800 roll top bag in XV21 stone grey, and then a base talon and pocketed top lid in X33 multi cam.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've been using the Evolution and just finished putting together a 4800 cubic inch Cuben bag on a Paradox Unaweep frame. 3 lbs 1 oz with the side zipper and a Cuben Talon.

Very cool Ed!!! How do you think the cuben will hold up for hunting and hauling meat?

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Luke,
Not sure of the specs on the cubic tech fabric they are using but it is a lot more burley than my Granite Gear or Zpack Cuben stuff sacks.
I guess I'll find out :)
I still have my Evolution but it may become an endangered species with having the Unaweep.

kodiakfly

WKR
I did that with my Wife when I got my Barney's. She asked, how much will it carry? I said, get in... My wife is a petite lady, but the point is, I carried a human in it. That's pretty decent.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
2blade,

I have handled an Exo, tried one on with weight, but haven't carried one any distance.
They do seem to be a very good pack.