Extending vestibule space

Do any of you use a tarp to create a dry area right outside your tent for getting out of the weather before entering your shelter? I’ve been thinking about a new shelter but my issue last year was getting out of the pouring rain and into my shelter. Once I opened it up, the rain got into everything and my soaked gear was only making things worse. Most tents have tiny vestibules that aren’t really suited for gear and clothing staging in inclement weather. I’ve been thinking of ways to better do this while still using a double wall tent. What do you guys do? If you have pictures of your set up, please share them. I know this is easier with tipis, but I’m not going that route so I’d like to see what’s out there for tent set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this and I like it a lot. My dogs can sleep in the larger vestibule and not get my sleeping gear dirty. They also sell a UL version for almost double the price but the fabric seemed like it might get damaged by my pups. Might be a solution for you if you cant rig up a tarp over your tent.

OP
O

I have this and I like it a lot. My dogs can sleep in the larger vestibule and not get my sleeping gear dirty. They also sell a UL version for almost double the price but the fabric seemed like it might get damaged by my pups. Might be a solution for you if you cant rig up a tarp over your tent.

How is its durability and performance in bad conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following along to see what yall creative people come up with. Truck camping I'll typically use the Alaskan Guide which has a large covered vestibule, have to sit down to undress but it works well. Wife bought me a 10x14 Kodiak for my birthday though, no vestibule there so I've been wondering the same thing... haven't used it yet so unsure if it'll be an issue or not with that awning it has. For backpacking I always want to setup a lightweight tarp like a DD but I don't like to setup near trees so I'd have to pack poles or cut some limbs to setup, gotta be a better way.