Explain Trekking Poles

Why would I buy premium Trekking Poles over say a Carbon Fiber option via Amazon? I'm going on my 3rd elk hunt this season, I lost a cheap pole on my last trip, looking to buy new but just not sure the main difference in the poles? All I would use for is rough terrain / pack out.

Beendare

WKR
Many times I pack my trek poles…only using them for packouts (of game)

Thus, packing around a lighter pole goes with the UL trend.

I’m a big guy, 6’3””, 240. I bent a quality BlackDiamond UL pole last year when I slipped on some gravel on a steep downhill. I caught myself but bent the 7075 pole. I didnt think the flex I was getting was a big deal- ugh, yes it was.

I went to the big boy stronger Amazon Carbon poles and they are so much stronger its crazy…..and less than 1/2 the price…They are probably heavier though. These are better for my shelter poles too- stronger.

Doepee

FNG
We ordered some Amazon Cascade Mtn Tech poles to try but I did not like how much they rattled. Found some a great deal on some Black Diamonds on Campsaver and they are silent.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Carbon is for light weight, might get a small increase in durability for the weight with more expensive ones.

If in really rough country (basketball to washing machine sized rocks piled up), aluminum will hold up much better at a few ounces weight penalty. My BD Aluminum poles have seen over 7 years of use, to include a friend falling on one and bending it, then straightening it back out.

TaperPin

WKR
I have had 6 different pairs over the years - I have the hardest time with cheap grips - kind of a silly thing to make decisions on, and probably mostly a warm weather thing when used without gloves. The second thing is how easy the pole is to point where you want it. Heavy or clunky poles just require a little more effort. I’d buy cheap poles if they were light enough and felt good in the hand.

Big guys probably need bigger heavier poles, and girls with girlie arms seem to like the lightest poles available. Carbon fiber tubes are so inexpensive now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we all go that route, just like it has taken over tripods.

The extra short poles seem like a good idea until going down a steep slope with a lot of weight and they are too short for maximum benefit,

The best way to sell someone on the high dollar poles is to be backpacking up a rocky trail for a few hours, trade poles for a few hours, and trade back.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a pair of the Cascade Mtn Tech carbon poles for 5, maybe 6, years now. Hiked hundreds of miles all over the country on backpacking trips, used them to pack out around 15 big game animals, and they're still going strong. I think I paid $40 bucks when I originally bought them but see they are up to $55 a pair. I am the guy who can always talk himself into buying the premium version of something because it's made in the U.S.A, but after my experience so far with the Cascades, I don't think I could justify $200 on a pair of Black Diamonds.

Poser

WKR
I don't foresee using full carbon poles again -broken too many of them. I do like the poles with aluminum lowers and carbon upper sections as its almost always the lower section that snaps. The pure carbon poles are trail bunnies.

CorbLand

WKR
Higher end ones generally have better locks and better handle materials.

Trekking poles are kind of like waders, either buy once/cry once or buy cheap and buy often. Both routes work, just depends on what you want to do.

I have a pair of 50 dollar ones I bought 10 plus years ago that are still going strong, other than you cant collapse them anymore. The locks are jammed up. They rode around in my pickup bed year round for pretty much all of those 10 years as well. Sometimes you get lucky with the cheap ones.

ni7ne

FNG
I suspect you can find a similar scenario to bicycle components.

Above a certain price, you start to get weaker and more finicky components, because you are paying only for weight savings.

While light gear is justifiable, there is a whole zone of diminishing returns where truly neurotic ultralight consumers are viewed as a cash cow by manufacturers.

OP
mobohunter
Really appreciate the quick feedback from all. Agree buy USA as much as possible, great to hear about the carbon vs aluminum pros & cons. Definitely helping me narrow down my search.