Expensive Packs

So as a lot of you have done I have sat and studied packs for weeks / months on end...I have made a comparison table and looked at all the pros and cons...and to what end? I feel like a dog chasing my tail.

So I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a pack that costs in excess of $650.00 when I can get a MR Terraframe 80 for under $400.00...that money saved can go towards a sleep system or a tent.

So can anyone tell me why I should buy one of these more expensive packs in lieu of the MR Terraframe 80?

Geewhiz

WKR
My opinion? Unless you just have a pile of money you want to spend, don't. Buy a good pack and use the rest of your funds for other things. People always want the very best of the best, and don't get me wrong, I like nice things too, but 95% of guys probly don't need it. MR makes some great packs.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
You can get an awesome pack for $400.

There’s honestly not much difference in performance between $400-600 packs. You are really dialing in the fine details at that point.

Compared to the major difference in $200 and $400 packs.

mlgc20

WKR
I have an old school Terraframe pack that is 20 years old from back when it was Dana Designs. That pack is still going strong. It's just a fantastic design. So, I would never tell anyone not to go that route. But I will say, I got an EXO Mountain Gear pack and I prefer it. For packing elk quarters, I really like the meat hauling capabilities of the EXO. If that part isn't important to you, I think you'd be very happy with the Terraframe.

I bought the Terraframe 50 this year and figured if it didn’t fit well I could return it to Sierra.com where I paid $229 and get either a SG or Kifaru.

It has exceeded all my expectations. I find it carries great and easily carries all I could ever want. I packed out 3 field dressed whitetails ranging from about 80-140 pounds. It’s a great pack. Get the 80 and don’t look back. Then take the money you saved and either save it or get more stuff for your hunts and be confident you have a great setup

85e571b04c71cd3e5c6fdb0bfd3e16b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
Packs come down to fit. I bought my "expensive" pack because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I was fine with my MR and the pain it gave me was of no concern. That is, until I started feeling what the others could do.
Packs are like boots. If your feet feel great in a pair walmart specials, more power to you! In fact, I'm jealous of you! Spending $400 a pair in an attempt to pacify my mamby pamby feet doesn't please me in the least.

wyodan

WKR
I think you’ll be just fine with the MR. I have a couple of the top brands, but there’s a couple things I miss about my old MR. I’m pretty sure you can pack meat between the frame and bag with a Terraframe.

All personal preference.
One thing that rings pretty true though...

"Can't complain about creating American jobs, if you never buy American made."

Seek Outside, Kifaru, Exo, and Stone Glacier
Three USA made. High quality products. Will pay a little extra if it helps out here. Especially during these times.

Last edited:

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
It's crazy to think that MR is referred to as it's some sub-par product. I remember when they were considered among the best. I imagine it's because they import a lot of packs now, but I've only tried MR and Kifaru and I'd still prefer MR, less expensive or not.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
You're in the zone of diminishing returns. Don't worry too much about it. I own one of the expensive packs, and I like it a lot. But, I was psyched to spend the money on it because.....well, because I was. If you're not really psyched to spend the cash on that, don't. The MR pack will work fine and you can put that money to something that you *want* to.

Marble

WKR
I can't comment on the MR Terraframe 80 pack.

I can say that I went through several packs in 30 years and i always was sore, uncomfortable and frustrated with my pack fit and function at 50 pounds or less.

After getting a Kifaru pack, I haven't been sore or uncomfortable ( with the exception of carrying 100 pounds) since.

I doubt the OP would be unhappy with the pack he's thinking of purchasing. I just can't say if or how much happier he would be with a different pack.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Like mentioned, packs are big on fit. In the past few years I have hauled a lot of heavy loads with mystery ranch (both guide lite and pop up) kuiu, horn hunter full curl, exo k1 and k2, and seek outside

I carry a lot of critters out of the woods every year, so why not seek out that pack that does it best... once you find the best one for you, it lasts.

I just got a kifaru, and have not put it through the paces yet, but I like how it rides with 70# so far, I think it’s going to be on my back a lot in the future.

besides the kifaru, my exo k2 is the stand out, I can flat out carry more weight with it vs the rest I listed, and I can haul a lot of weight in relative comfort... it’s a keeper

the kifaru has potential to equal or exceed that, time will tell, but I like what a perfect fitting pack offers... just buying an expensive pack doesn’t equal a good purchase or a better pack than a terra frame, but buying a kifaru, exo, or stone glacier gives you good resale if you don’t love it... besides those 3, resale is pretty rough.

starting expensive gives you options for resale without much loss in value and you can try others without spending a lot of additional money... buy a MR and not like it, you take a bigger hit selling and have to add quite a bit of money to try a higher end pack.

no right or wrong answer, just what makes sense to you, whatever you can justify

drmatara

FNG
There’s honestly not much difference in performance between $400-600 packs.
The Terraframe 80 is a really solid pack. It has exceeded all my expectations. I find it carries great and easily carries all i want. You won't be disappointed. Use the money you saved for other things, like getting more stuff for your hunt.