Expandable broad heads VS Fixed

Bergara

FNG
Hello! This post was not meant for guys to argue about which is better. I am simply gathering data. That being said, if you have a picture of an entry/exit wound of your deer, please give me details on the broad head spec, location of the shot, how much blood, how far did the deer run? Whatever you’d like to share pertaining to the effectiveness of the broadhead. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
No pics but the Kudu fixed have killed multiple deer and elk for me and my buddy. I use 100 gr, he uses 125.
The are nasty!
Up until not that long ago fixed were only legal broadheads in our state

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
Fixed…. There isn’t a debate! If you have to question your gear before it performs, then on ethics alone adjustments should be made.
I’ve used helix and they work but just are not that sharp, take a lot of effort and time to get sharp. Now I run iron wills, unfortunately I don’t have an elk harvest report with them at this time.

I don’t have any pictures of entry/exit holes, but I used to shoot rage broadheads and they did their job amazingly, until they didn’t once. I always heard about mechanicals not opening up but didn’t experience it until I did. I’m not sure if it was a fluke, a blade bent, or what. But it didn’t expand and that was the longest deer that I ever had to track. That was also the last time I used a mechanical broadhead.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Screenshot_20221012-232315_Photos.jpg
Exit wound. Fixed 100 grain G5 Montec. It was a broadside shot. The entry was a little higher since I was shooting from a treestand. Thankfully she only went 30 yards because there was almost no blood.

I've had good luck with G5 T3s. I guess now they are megameat, but I will say I shoot FMJ or Axis Arrows that out penetrate most. I actually shot a 240lb nebraska buck quartering 2 in front shoulder and the only thing left in deer on other side was fletchings. I used to shoot rage, and if you hit in the ribcage they are devastating, but dang near disposable and not cheap. I actually killed my elk with a 2 blade rage and watched him fall 30 yards from where I shot him. That was after losing one ealier in the week with a thunderhead 125. Seems like everyone is going to the massive 2 blade COC single bevel heads now. I understand the physics behind them, but I'm just hunting southern deer at the moment so I'm not willing to go into one of those heavy ranch fairy setups yet. Im not a speed junkie, but I don't want to be shooting much under 300 fps because i like 0-30 on my first pin. That takes about 98%of judging out of normal hunting shots. I do agree with the other poster about fixed being one less thing to worry about, but I don't question my mechanicals yet, and ass you know no matter what kind you choose the best medicine is good shot placement.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Fixed - Kudu Point 125 gr. Shot the buck I got last year with a high and back double lung hit. He went roughly 50 yards from where I shot him and piled up. Due to shot location and angle there simply wasn't much of a blood trail.

Rich M

WKR
Using Chines Rage Knockoffs these days - they make a nice hole and if it goes into the rib cage I usually find a dead deer nearby. No pics, blood trails have been pretty good.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot several deer with both fixed and mechanical. I can not be a 100% certain, but if I did not get a deer the broadhead was not the point of failure. Poor shot placement or an oversight on my part was the issue. I had a lot of success with rage, muzzy, NAP, and G5.

However, this year I switched to a single right bevel 125gr Kudu broadhead. The first day this year I shot a doe at 15 yards hard quartering away. The arrow went in behind the ribs on the right side and exit the left armpit. When I field dressed her there was a clean slice through the heart.

After I shot the deer was the most interesting part. She went 40 yards and stopped. Looked around the field like she wasn't hurt, which made me question the shot. She took a few more steps, bedded down, and expired. I believe the clean pass through and a sharp broad head was the reason she did not make a 100+ yard death run.

The arrow was sticking in the dirt about 6-7 inches. I took it home, washed it, rehappened the broadhead, and put it back in the quiver. I plan on using it again this season if an opportunity presents itself.

Zdub02

WKR
I've shot deer with both mechs and fixed blades. I've used G5 Montecs, QAD Exodus, and Rage hypodermics. Overall, I've always had passthroughs with the fixed blades but the blood trails have been poor despite good shot placement (behind the shoulder). My best blood trail was a hard quartering away shot on a doe with the exodus. Shot went behind the last rib and came out her offside shoulder. Blood trail was present but not impressive. Thankfully I watched her crash after a short run.

Mechs have left a better blood trail and larger entry/exit holes but I don't have as many pass throughs and they can be a pain with opening in the quiver, through thick brush, etc.

Travis907

WKR
Fixed - another vote for Kudu Point. I’ve shot a bull elk and antelope with them. The Elk ran roughly 50 yds from where I shot him and the antelope 20 yds.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex 125 steel. It's an over the top expandable, I don't worry about it 'not' working. They just work. I do shoot 72lb 31 inch draw so that does factor. I have also shot iron will 125 with great success. Like mentioned above, the deer shot with a sharp fixed like the IW don't react like they've been shot, instead look around for a minute then tip over. The 'punch' from the mech head makes them take off at full speed, but the blood trail is always good.

These are from 100 grain g5 t3. I’ve been using them for at least ten years I’d say, never had the first issue with them and always do their job well. I’m on my last pack of replacement blades this year, so
I’m going to have to get new heads. I will stick with g5, either dead meat or megameat. I think most of the issues with mechanicals stem from blade opening design. Stick with one that the blades open straight back and independent from one another, and there’s not much that can go wrong.
59632A77-5C76-4900-9AEC-73231714943B.jpeg4A5747E2-16AB-42D6-81B6-62AE0C8E995E.jpeg

I have shot several deer with both fixed and mechanical. I can not be a 100% certain, but if I did not get a deer the broadhead was not the point of failure. Poor shot placement or an oversight on my part was the issue. I had a lot of success with rage, muzzy, NAP, and G5.

However, this year I switched to a single right bevel 125gr Kudu broadhead. The first day this year I shot a doe at 15 yards hard quartering away. The arrow went in behind the ribs on the right side and exit the left armpit. When I field dressed her there was a clean slice through the heart.

After I shot the deer was the most interesting part. She went 40 yards and stopped. Looked around the field like she wasn't hurt, which made me question the shot. She took a few more steps, bedded down, and expired. I believe the clean pass through and a sharp broad head was the reason she did not make a 100+ yard death run.

The arrow was sticking in the dirt about 6-7 inches. I took it home, washed it, rehappened the broadhead, and put it back in the quiver. I plan on using it again this season if an opportunity presents itself.
I've noticed this with super sharp fixed blades as well as long as they don't smack big bones they almost act like what was that... big cut mechanicals they know they are hit and make a death run much farther than if that same shot was with a fixed killed plenty of deer with both and keep both in my quiver but usually reach for a sharp iron will wide first

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I’ve always shot fixed. Up until this year I’ve always shot Thunderheads and they have performed flawlessly, this year I’m trying out the Slick Tricks.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using 100 grain Rage broadheads for the past few seasons, and have had outstanding results. 4 shots, all double lung, and zero deer that made it further than 100 yards. Not all were pass throughs, but the blood trails have still been huge.

I can appreciate the concerns with mechanicals, and the heavy arrow trend is very compelling, but I won't switch until I have a reason to.

TSAMP

WKR
Hello! This post was not meant for guys to argue about which is better. I am simply gathering data. That being said, if you have a picture of an entry/exit wound of your deer, please give me details on the broad head spec, location of the shot, how much blood, how far did the deer run? Whatever you’d like to share pertaining to the effectiveness of the broadhead. Thank you!

Why are you gathering this data? Where will it be used?

Maz7869

FNG
I settled on hypodermic / trypan for deer and vpa 3 blades or ram cats for hogs. Haven’t had any penetration issues a fairly fast 500 grain arrow definitely helps. Here’s a black buck with a hypo and a whitetail with a ramcat. 5E8B2D5C-A37A-4858-930C-9E06C8CD4438.jpeg

Attachments

• 99ED8624-B7D4-4754-80A7-F3679AF1AACB.jpeg
    99ED8624-B7D4-4754-80A7-F3679AF1AACB.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
Bergara

Bergara

FNG
View attachment 462957
Exit wound. Fixed 100 grain G5 Montec. It was a broadside shot. The entry was a little higher since I was shooting from a treestand. Thankfully she only went 30 yards because there was almost no blood.

That’s funny. First buck I ever shot was the same broadhead. Same results.

Noogman

FNG
Shot a buck last week with a QAD Exodus that ran all of 20 yards. Also took a doe last year that ran a little further, but was dead within 30 seconds.

4ce53465c3191a2f742e69f410b1b0bc.jpg

347e3dd143fdbc9230b583bd461906bc.jpg

The entry wound on both were very impressive for a fixed blade (as you can see in the pics), and both were pass-throughs.