Exo with just lid and crib panel

just.mark

FNG
Has any one tried just running a lid and the crib panel only. Can't travel this year so I will be archery elk hunting close to home and just need a small day pack but will need to haul all that meat a couple miles to the car by myself. I was thinking this might make for a perfect day pack set up for the thick timber Rosie's like to live in.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear an answer for this also. I would also like to know how necessary is the crib load panel when bag is attached. What is the benefit?

I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t. That is my setup for training. I just add a bag of cured concrete in my crib panel.

Drenalin

WKR
I'd like to hear an answer for this also. I would also like to know how necessary is the crib load panel when bag is attached. What is the benefit?
No, it’s not needed - the load shelf works great without the crib. The crib does hold the load up a little higher though, which some may prefer. But it’s primarily for when you want to go without the bag.

Drenalin

WKR
Has any one tried just running a lid and the crib panel only. Can't travel this year so I will be archery elk hunting close to home and just need a small day pack but will need to haul all that meat a couple miles to the car by myself. I was thinking this might make for a perfect day pack set up for the thick timber Rosie's like to live in.
Yes, it works fine as long as you’re good with the space the lid provides.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t. That is my setup for training. I just add a bag of cured concrete in my crib panel.
That’s my exact training set up. I put in 3.5 miles this morning rocking that.

I’d say the same think. The lid is small. I’d make sure you could fit everything in it before I took off. The hip pouches probably make it more feasible.

OP
J

just.mark

FNG
I have vehicle access to private timber company land and there are roads every where. I figure ill probably be going down into the thick coastal brush after them and I'm looking to go light. Don't need much more then a kill kit, game bags, headlamp and some snacks and of course a water bladder. It all seems to fit. I have one hip pouch that ill run as well.

OP
J

just.mark

FNG
I went ahead and ordered the crib and the 1800 straps to secure the lid. I was considering the slurpy stalker but I think I can just secure the bladder to the frame. I'm curious how much storage you get with the stalker. Kind of hard to judge on the internet.

TheTone

WKR
I’ll probably do that exact thing with every load after the first one. No sense in carrying the 4800 bag just for meat runs

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 1800, 4800, slurpy, crib panel, and lid. I rigged up the lid to work with the crib panel. Its been a few months and I cant remember exactly but I think I just used the 1800 lid straps and looped them through the crib panel or a loop somewhere on bottom of the frame. Im going to use the crib panel slurpy stalker and a lid on early season whitetail hunts this year I believe. I got the slupry stalker at the end of last season so I havent had a chance to get it in the field yet setup this way.

Rt_nevada

FNG
For training hikes I just run the crib with some weight, and then the lid to carry two nalgenes and whatever else I may need for the day. It could definitely be done, especially if you have at least one hip belt pocket, two would probably be more ideal. I also have the k2 frame and lid, so I’m not sure if the k3 lid has more volume or not.

I frequently used the k2 with lid and crib for load hauling. I think anyways.

Have the k2 crib on my k3 now, pretty certain I can still drop the bag and use the panel and lid only. Haven't done it for my foggy recollection.

md126

WKR
I use the crib to train but also to secure a stand when whitetail hunting.

The panel with a lid and slurpy stalker would be great. I use a Sherman pocket also

OOSWLC

FNG
I have the 1800, 4800, slurpy, crib panel, and lid. I rigged up the lid to work with the crib panel. Its been a few months and I cant remember exactly but I think I just used the 1800 lid straps and looped them through the crib panel or a loop somewhere on bottom of the frame. Im going to use the crib panel slurpy stalker and a lid on early season whitetail hunts this year I believe. I got the slupry stalker at the end of last season so I havent had a chance to get it in the field yet setup this way.

can you comment on the storage capacity for the slurpy stalker?

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
can you comment on the storage capacity for the slurpy stalker?
I havent loaded it up yet. But it has enough room for maybe a jacket and some small things with a bladder inside. using a lid with a hip pouch and the stalker should hold a decent amount of thigs for a day hunt.

choovhntr

WKR
I really like running the crib panel for training hikes, and actually use it with the bag attached as well. It really helps keeping the load high in the meat shelf area. Especially if the meat is boned out. Another option for water instead of using a bladder would be the hard side hydration setup. There are some people around making nalgene holders for the exo. I have one and it works great!

If it fits what you need in the lid, it will be a good setup for light and fast

I would drop the lid down on the frame, I hate lids chasing roosies because the taller profile is constantly hung up in the brush… I use my 3500 without a lid in September on the coast, or more often, wear my kifaru frame with the Stryker xl.

If the lid doesn’t fit what you need (it wouldn’t for me) they do make a good day hunting bag… if just the lid works for you, it will be a great setup for you.

I’m looking forward to their next iteration of EXO packs, I will be ordering one as soon as released, the k3 is the only one I haven’t owned, I put a k3 belt on my k2 and couldn’t justify the full upgrade, but will justify the k4 or whatever they call the next version.

I really appreciate that EXO isn’t trying to expand into a huge company, they seem content doing what they’re doing, which is very good for us, I have liked all of their packs to this point and they are as good as it gets for customer service, and staying small, they are also very consistent in customer service.