exo mountain pack

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Ha yeah that would be dicey, brown blends in really well in Nevada. I like foliage but have a late season in that color and a dt3 in highlander.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
For what its worth, I played with a buddies prototype down in AZ last weekend. No weight, just tried the frame on. Vastly different fit, feel & size from the 26" duplex (what I have). I will be interested to see how people compare them with weight!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you explain "different"? Did you feel it was comfortable?

Sorry I missed this. I am trying to think of the best way to explain it. But yes, it was comfortable. I believe the biggest thing for me was the Exo being shorter than the duplex. Just gave it whole different feel, IMO. I also got the impression that there was maybe a slight bit of flex compared to the Duplex. Please keep in mind I have a very limited time with it. Seems to be a great pack though!

They shipped the first batch at the beginning of the week. We should start seeing some initial thoughts soon.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
I ordered an EXO the other day. I too am hoping it has ample attachment points. I have Kifaru, MR, and HPG gear I would like to try on the frame if possible.

My DT3 would not slide over the top of the frame. If you really stretched and squeezed the exo frame you would be able to slide it over. There are enough attatchment points that you could attach the bag to the frame. It wouldn't attatch like it was designed for it but can be done. However the exo bag is really nice so I don't see a need to have a Kifaru bag on an exo frame

Last edited:
NVCHUKAR, let us know this pack does for you when you get some miles on it. I'm anxiously waiting for some field reviews. This could be my next pack.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Will do! I am really pleased with the bag and its layout. Very similar to a dt3 but has an better access to the main bag. Having a lid with a pocket standard is also really nice. I don't want to make any judgments on its ability to hand weight until I have put some solid miles on it. I can tell you that the waist belt and lumbar pad on the kifaru are a little bit beefier, which is something I personally prefer. If you guys have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer. I can give comparisons to kifaru bikini, duplex, and Late season. You won't get any 150# loads out of me but I will load it up with 75-100 and let you know how it feels.

eltaco

WKR
How many days of gear do you think you can fit inside? Wondering if I can make the 3500 work. Figuring I might need to use the load shelf for my camp gear, though.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Depends how lightweight you go, what is nice is the fact you can fill the pack with all your gear and easily detach the upper portion of the bag to slide in the meat. If I get my act together I will post a couple of pictures of the pack loaded so you can try to visualize. Do you have a late season or timberline?

eltaco

WKR
Depends how lightweight you go, what is nice is the fact you can fill the pack with all your gear and easily detach the upper portion of the bag to slide in the meat. If I get my act together I will post a couple of pictures of the pack loaded so you can try to visualize. Do you have a late season or timberline?

I have a timberline 1 right now, and don't fill anywhere near the full bag for a 5 day trip, but I like the extra size for packing a quarter in when needed. I know I can get by with a smaller bag, just not sure how much smaller. If I can put my camp bag in the load sling and dump it for the 5 days, I'm most likely sticking with the 3500, though. I don't ever hunt with camp on my back. I just need to get it up the mountain.

I'd love to see pics. Steve just posted an ASAT shoulder harness picture, so I feel like it's getting close!

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I have a timberline 1 right now, and don't fill anywhere near the full bag for a 5 day trip, but I like the extra size for packing a quarter in when needed. I know I can get by with a smaller bag, just not sure how much smaller. If I can put my camp bag in the load sling and dump it for the 5 days, I'm most likely sticking with the 3500, though. I don't ever hunt with camp on my back. I just need to get it up the mountain.

I'd love to see pics. Steve just posted an ASAT shoulder harness picture, so I feel like it's getting close!

Eltaco if you do not fill anywhere near a T-1 for 5 days you can probably work with the 3500 for 5 days. I have had both side by side to mess around with. Anything over 5 days you will probably want the 5500. As others have said it all depends on the bulk of your pack when loaded. My plan for extended stays was to get both bags and load most stuff in the 5500 then pack the overload into the 3500 and put it in the load sling. Once in camp I would drop the 5500 and put on the 3500. Good luck brother.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Ok guys I just grabbed a bunch of random gear and started stuffing the pack. I think you could do a week no problem. It seems bigger than a dt3 due to the stretchy pockets.
sleeping bag, pad, clothes, food, binocs, 64oz thermal walled growler, coat, trekking poles.

After its loaded lots of room left

Adding more stuff

Still have the lid empty and room left in slot pockets.

Few more things

Pack is pretty much full but lid has some room and could stuff a few more things or strap stuff on.

This reaffirms my decision. I was about to pick up an Osprey pack for camping. When I really started looking at the Exo I figured I couldn't go wrong picking it up for hunting and at the very least using it for weekend camping trips with my buddies. Now the wait for foliage.