Exo Mountain K4?

JNDEER

WKR
Okay - I’ve actually read all 136 pages now. I’ve been using SG for 10 years but at 5’8” I’m intrigued by this new exo frame, specifically due to the 23.5” option and stay shape. The only thing that’s ever bugged me with SG is the stay height at 26” so exo has some nice options there. After reviewing a lot of the excellent content exo puts out on their systems I’m curious for some user feedback on two specific things I’ve noticed but have no experience with.

1) loads: I’m used to the “load shelf” SG uses to elevate loads on the frame. How well do the load straps on k4 do in keeping meat backs high on the frame? Does the bag connection at bottom help much in keeping loads up?

2) compression: the bottom of the bag looks like a unique/clean way to compress. But there’s no connection at the top of the frame back to top of bag (I’m used to this with an SG) - it appears the lid is designed as that bridge point. How well does this work? With the bottom and only 2 side compression straps, I can see the easy/fast load access for frame being a feature.

It obviously works based on some of the user photos in the thread - if anyone has used both pack systems a bit of compare/contrast would really be appreciated!

1- I have always favored the ability to use a meat shelf over the bag so I can adjust the meat higher to fit my frame and curved back better. I was disappointed when I saw the new meat shelf was Soo long- however after some testing - for me maximizing the height of the meat shelf fit perfect for me not only in test weight but animal weight too.

2- never once have I felt the need to attach the very top of the bag to the frame. The top - side compression straps and angle up to the frame hold everything as snug as I want it. IMO you won’t need to attach the top of the bag back to the top of the frame.

You can see in the photo the side top compression strap is almost to the top and holds the bag up nicely while the meat in the photo is in the shelf

Attachments

• IMG_8019.jpeg
    IMG_8019.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 72

MT_Wyatt

WKR
1- I have always favored the ability to use a meat shelf over the bag so I can adjust the meat higher to fit my frame and curved back better. I was disappointed when I saw the new meat shelf was Soo long- however after some testing - for me maximizing the height of the meat shelf fit perfect for me not only in test weight but animal weight too.

2- never once have I felt the need to attach the very top of the bag to the frame. The top - side compression straps and angle up to the frame hold everything as snug as I want it. IMO you won’t need to attach the top of the bag back to the top of the frame.

You can see in the photo the side top compression strap is almost to the top and holds the bag up nicely while the meat in the photo is in the shelf
awesome reply, appreciate the feedback.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
1) - Yes, keeping meat high on the shelf is not an issue, you can use the bag connection, two independent frame straps, or the crib to accomplish this depending on how you want to do it.

2) - IMO compression works fine/great. The bottom compresses really well. The top you can run with or without the lid. The upper straps do a good job of compressing the top of the bag. The bag does have slots and sits on top of the stays at the top. Personally, I don't love top straps, my wife's mystery ranch has some and they always bugged me a little but YMMV.

Where you at in MT? I have a K4 in the Kalispell area if you are curious to see...

Edit to add - I'm 5'7" and have both the 22 and 23.5 stays on hand. I cruise around and day hunt in the 22" and if I know I'm carrying a heavy load have the 23.5". I have the 2200 and 5000 bags and my wife has the 3600 on an EXS frame, so a bunch of options for you to check out if you are close...
I'm in Great Falls - very much appreacite the offer.

Stay height - I'm shorter torso and I noticed that the selection chart kinda goes 50/50 at my height between 23.5-25" stays. I didn't even consider those 22s for day hunting but have to imagine that works slick.

Can I bug you for one more question - when you trade out to the 22s, where is that extra 1.5" of fabric for the stay sleeve going? Does the stay sleeve get compressed? I'm imagining shoving a shorter stay in there, and it just ending at the top around where the load lifter and bag connect. I can't get my mind around how that would work well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Can I bug you for one more question - when you trade out to the 22s, where is that extra 1.5" of fabric for the stay sleeve going? Does the stay sleeve get compressed? I'm imagining shoving a shorter stay in there, and it just ending at the top around where the load lifter and bag connect. I can't get my mind around how that would work well.
Replying to myself - I see they have a video explaining how the upper is not connected to the belt so it can slide down to take up the slack from shorter stays. So that's easy.

Replying to myself - I see they have a video explaining how the upper is not connected to the belt so it can slide down to take up the slack from shorter stays. So that's easy.
Yep, you figured it out :)

It's slick and super easy to change them out.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

wnelson14

WKR
Does anyone know where to obtain buckles like these or what they are called, need a couple for a K4 add on.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26

twall13

WKR
Does anyone know where to obtain buckles like these or what they are called, need a couple for a K4 add on.
That's a gatekeeper of some sort, not sure the exact name. I'd reach out to Exo and I'm sure they will send you some for a reasonable price. I've done that with extra buckles, etc. with them before and they've always been super accommodating.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
It’s a single gatekeeper.