EXO K3 or Kifaru backpack

I've narrowed my thoughts down between an EXO k3 series and Kifaru pack for a backcountry archery elk hunt. Tons of advice and opinions, too many options turns into buyers remorse. I haven’t found any store in Georgia where I can try on a pack for proper fit. I’ve gone through you tube many times. So I’ll ask on specific question.

How have those of you in my similar situation approached your pack purchase and what’s your advice on either of these packs to look out for with fit and function?

I have no problem packing out 100# at a time. Been there done that with a borrowed pack and it was not a fun experience.
Thanks for your help.

JNDEER

WKR
If you have the funds- buy both and test at home for the 30 days then return the one that doesn't fit as well as the other.

If you don't have the funds you could try asking on GON if anyone has one of them locally for you to try on and test out.

If you don't have the funds- best advice is to find reviews from non-sponsored people who are similar in size and shape as you and roll the dice. If that option scares you then stick with what you can do and only buy what you can actually try on and test. Sure the outdoors stores in GA have badlands, sitka and Eberlestock packs you can actually try on and do some in store testing to see how the fit and feel is. Not saying they are as good or better or worse then EXO or Kifaru, but the fit and feel from person to person should lead you to the final choice.

Scotto

WKR
^^^This is probably best advice. Years ago, I attended a Sheep Show and was able to try on multiple pack brands with weight. Pack frames and belts are such a personal fit thing, like boots. Kifaru offers different stay options also. Aluminum stays can be modified to your back.

Maldavis

FNG
I’m in same situation as OP. Have read many posts where Kifaru’s CS is second to none. My first step will be to call directly and ask as many questions as I can’t think of.
That being said it appears that the resale value on the Kifaru is not much less than new. So worst case if you don’t like what you get you can sell and not be out much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
@JNDEER has the right idea; buy both and see which you prefer, if possible. I know EXO has a 30 day "try it out" policy, I'd bet Kifaru does something similar as well. Throw 40lbs or so inside, fit them properly, and take a walk to see what feels best to you. Either way, you are getting a top tier pack with top tier CS.

@JNDEER has the right idea; buy both and see which you prefer, if possible. I know EXO has a 30 day "try it out" policy, I'd bet Kifaru does something similar as well. Throw 40lbs or so inside, fit them properly, and take a walk to see what feels best to you. Either way, you are getting a top tier pack with top tier CS.
this. also if you don;t you're always going to wonder what the other felt like. its best to be sure and see what fits your personally the best.

OP
sahunter06
That is the the plan. I don’t need a new pack for going out west once per year. A good used one would work just fine. Thanks for the input.

10ringer

WKR
Before going down the rabbit hole of which bag is going to be perfect make sure you get the proper frame. EXO has one option and Kifaru has two composite stay options and aluminum stays. Makes all the difference in the world when the frame fits your geometry.

Great video Aron and Dayna put together on frame options at Kifaru:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRock1986

FNG
Kifaru by a long shot! I made the move from EXO to Kifaru Muskeg and haven’t looked back.

Dibenes

FNG
I have the Kifaru reckoning and I will tell you the amount of adjustments to personalize it to you is tremendous. I would highly recommend watching all the videos on the proper adjustments and that pack will carry anything comfortably

Best advice when comparing is load them up with at least 80 - 100lbs to see how they feel. A lot of packs feel good with 50 - 60 lbs, but when I put 90lbs in a them that's when I can tell which ones don't fit me or don't feel as good as others. It was real easy for me to decide when putting heavy weight on the frame.

I've narrowed my thoughts down between an EXO k3 series and Kifaru pack for a backcountry archery elk hunt. Tons of advice and opinions, too many options turns into buyers remorse. I haven’t found any store in Georgia where I can try on a pack for proper fit. I’ve gone through you tube many times. So I’ll ask on specific question.

How have those of you in my similar situation approached your pack purchase and what’s your advice on either of these packs to look out for with fit and function?

I have no problem packing out 100# at a time. Been there done that with a borrowed pack and it was not a fun experience.
Thanks for your help.
I have a k2 and a kifaru... the kifaru is a new addition and I haven’t put it through the paces yet, but it feels good with weight In it, I think I will really like it.

the best of the 2 for you will be a personal fit thing, you seriously can’t go wrong, personal fit aside.

both packs are top shelf backed by customer service that is second to none, both high quality USA made packs.

may K2 hauls heavy loads better than any other pack I have used, but that’s on my back.

min hunting mode, I think exo are the most comfortable as well. Exo seems to ride that perfect line of lightweight and durable, and are very comfortable empty or loaded heavy.

seriously cannot go wrong, you have narrowed it down to some great options

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both packs on extended trips . My favorite by a long shot is kifaru . I always felt like I needed more space in my exo . Not a big fan of exo belt pouches as well . The kifaru gives you the ability to add so many different options to customize what you need. Go kifaru and don’t look back !

1000% buy both and return one!! Once you step up to these high-end packs. They are all built extremely well. So it's basically what fits you best is the bottom line. What fits me might not fit you and so on. Picking two and trying both of them will definitely give you your answers you're looking for. Throw them on a credit card and return one and just get credited

Yes, buy them both and compare them side by side. You’ll see the Kifaru is a better made higher quality pack. Once you see them together there’s no question. But.....it’s more important how the pack fits your back and carries weight for you than it is to have a certain maker of pack on your back.

*zap*

WKR
no one can decide for you how a pack frame will fit your body.

having a frame in your possession for a number of weeks and doing many hikes with different weights while fine tuning the fit is the only way you will know if it fits you well.