EXO K3 bag on K4 frame

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
To go further, I swapped the frame attachment method. It seems like EXO uses squadron (500d laminated to 1000d cordura) for these pieces. I already had 600d cordura and seam grip so I “laminated” my own together by spreading the adhesives and clamping between 2 flat surfaces for a day. I’d recommend using squadron from rockywoods at the link below. I found that after I already had the other stuff.

1723644345084.jpeg

1723644666484.jpeg

Next was making a template of K4 attachments and cut it out of my “squadron”.

1723644740849.jpeg

(Random cardboard measured and cut out)

The K3 bag is wider than the K4 bag. I made up for this by making these attachment pieces slightly wide so the frame would sit into the bag properly.

(1/2” wider for each piece to make up the 1” size difference between bags)

Cut these with scissors and hit the edges with a lighter. Squadron is typically cut with a laser so the edges are sealed when being cut. Sewed a piece of Velcro on to this and it’s ready to go.

Next, took the seams apart to be able to sew the squadron straps inside the bags seams to have the proper strength and look.

IMG_6464.jpeg

IMG_6453.jpeg

I sewed it into the gray back panel first then resewed the seams back together and then another stitch line over the grosgrain (webbing type material that contains all of the layers).

I don’t use water bladders so I sewed the opening completely shut and was easier to do this anyway. I think that’s about it. If you know what you’re doing this would take maybe an hour from start to finish. Probably took me 2-3 hours of the taking apart/sewing part of the project that I did over a few days. Once I got into it it was easy.

IMG_6476.jpeg

Anyway, changed the buckles and you can make it work 😂

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
I did something similar with black buckles to carry my K2 bags on a K4 frame. 5% of the work to get 95% of the functionality. I admire your dedication to get the details ironed out!
100% haha. I wanted a little project and figured it’d be easy enough. Wasn’t bad but glad it’s done. I am happy it works like a K4 bag, looks clean

100% haha. I wanted a little project and figured it’d be easy enough. Wasn’t bad but glad it’s done. I am happy it works like a K4 bag, looks clean

This is awesome. So in summary, swapping out the buckles will allow you to use a k3 bag on a k4 frame, but you need to sew in the top attachment points in order to get full functionality. Is that right?

It looks like you removed the original top attachment Velcro "wings" from the k3?

The bottom of the bag attaches to the frame the same way?

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
This is awesome. So in summary, swapping out the buckles will allow you to use a k3 bag on a k4 frame, but you need to sew in the top attachment points in order to get full functionality. Is that right?

It looks like you removed the original top attachment Velcro "wings" from the k3?

The bottom of the bag attaches to the frame the same way?

You can get it functional with the existing wings of the k3 - just swap buckles.

I removed them and made K4 attachments to go the extra step to make it fit perfect.

Bottom attachment is exactly the same and nothing needs to change