Exercise Equipment

Jmort1754

WKR
So I have a rower that I bought and use 3-4 times weekly... my significant other has decided to better herself wants to get into some home exercise. She would like some cardio device, preferably a bike. Do you guys have any input on stationary bikes in the 1k range?

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton is all the rage. I just heard of another one but the name escapes me.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above Peloton is very popular right now. It’s hard to beat a rower or assault bike for high intensity cardio. I use a ski erg, rower or assault bike daily. For treadmills I’m a huge fan of a curved surface treadmill. There’s huge benefits to them, the biggest one being that you are the motor so there is no mechanical advantage.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Schwinn IC4 $999 at scheels or amazon. I think I got it on sale for 1-2 less. I have been cycling for 3 years now religiously. 3-4 times a week 30-45 mins. The Schwinn rides like new to this day. It’s much simpler than the Nordic or peloton. No monitor so I use a tablet in the holder instead. It’s been a min since I researched but the main difference is no elevation adjustment, auto resistance, and screen. I use apple fitness or just watch sheep hunting on YT. My 2c

Backyard

WKR
I use the Schwinn IC4 $999 at scheels or amazon. I think I got it on sale for 1-2 less. I have been cycling for 3 years now religiously. 3-4 times a week 30-45 mins. The Schwinn rides like new to this day. It’s much simpler than the Nordic or peloton. No monitor so I use a tablet in the holder instead. It’s been a min since I researched but the main difference is no elevation adjustment, auto resistance, and screen. I use apple fitness or just watch sheep hunting on YT. My 2c

I have the Bowflex model of this same bike. All my same experience as above. Good unit. I use the Fulgaz app on a tablet when using it. Makes the workout seem more interesting and less ho-hum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR

Devil's tricycle. Great workout. Had one of these for 4 years now with no a single issue.

I have a couple of indoor bikes. Only thing to consider with the Peloton is it is tied to their programs/subscriptions. We have the Nordictrac version which is fine but no way to run 3rd party apps. You can still pedal and use without the sub but not as fun. I have used pelotons in the past at hotels when I stay and have a free membership (pretty limited) and their programs are ok. I just wanted something to simulate real riding more. Ended up getting a stages SB20 which is probably outside your price range, but it has power meters, a freewheel, you can shift gears and it even has brakes for those programs that simulate it. I run zwift exclusively. I have been looking at a rower but some of the subscription prices for the high end ones are pretty high. Definitely look used though. Most of them are pretty lightly utilized.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at Echelon. My brother has this and they use it every day for the past year. It’s a more price competitive bike

def90

WKR

tyco

FNG
My wife uses a Schwinn IC4 with the Peloton App. Significantly cheaper than the monthly subscription with a Peloton bike, if yours is looking for a Peloton-adjacent experience at about 1/3 to half the cost (both up front and month-to-month). It’s currently a grand, but drops by a few hundred dollars every so often.

We've used the Schwinn Carbon Blue for at least 5 years. We subscribe to Peloton and just run it on a tablet. The Schwinn was around $1,500 when we bought it and has been absolutely trouble-free. We got it when Peloton bike was fairly new (and expensive, I wanna say like $2,500?) and they were having some reliability/quality issues (spent more money on the app than the bikes). The Schwinn had great reviews and the "carbon" chain is maintenance free.

do you want an integrated screen? if so, you are probably over a grand Plus a subscription.

my wife had a used spin bike we bought during Covid (suny) that was OK and was using it with the peleton app. She had a $13 a month subscription that gave her all access. They upped that to $24 a month now. She likes the peleton coaches but there are other options for less money For workout videos.

we upgraded her bike this year for Xmas with the goal of spending about a grand. After searching around, we focused on the schwinn IC4 and bowflex c6. Both are highly rated but the bowflex has been on sale for $600 (down from $1000). Delivery was quick. Assembly is about 20 mins. It’s solid and smooth. She loves it So far.

FWIW - I use a rogue echo bike. It’s a tank. Not for everyone and I use mine for more short and mid distance work than long sessions.

CCooper

WKR
We have had a Peloton tread for over 5 years and a peloton bike for over a year now. Both have been fantastic with very few issues- customer service has been awesome when needed. As others have said the bikes pop up on craigslist sometimes for good deals, and I believe refurbished models are offered from retailers.

hunt1up

WKR
I personally use my road bike on a smart trainer as mentioned above. You can take the bike off and use it outside. They make wheel-on trainers and wheel-off, the latter being more expensive. Mine is an older wheel-on trainer and I use it all the time with the Zwift app. I love it.

If you want a "spin" bike there's a lot of quality ones out there. I found a commercial grade one for my wife a few years ago. A Lemond Revmaster Pro. New condition for like $400. Any of the non-smart bikes are just fine if you run some sort of app to follow along with.

4rcgoat

WKR

Devil's tricycle. Great workout. Had one of these for 4 years now with no a single issue.
I've been wanting one of these for years, like the idea of a good shoulder warm up along with the cycling.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Bowflex - VeloCore Bike (16" Console) - Black
Model: 100933

picked up one of these xmas 2022 on sale for $1000. uses JRNY subscription. manual dial for resistance. tons of video workouts, scenery rides, whatnot. not even sure if my wife pays for the JRNY subscription now or what, first year free and $99/yr after. definitely worth $1000. not worth the $1800 it normally goes for. but i was also ok using a trainer and a brokeass cannondale from the 80s so what do i know?

my biggest gripe is JRNY doesn't talk with strava and my garmin watch just says i was sweating in my basement with an elevated heart rate for no good reason.