Evolution Jekyll Experiences

I’ve kind of gotten a fascination with these Broadheads and bought several of the Jekyll and also the hybrid. Haven’t shot the actual heads yet and haven’t taken an animal with them either. Been shooting their practice heads to sight in my bows to new arrow setup and those practice heads fly exactly with my field points.

Anyone have experience with their actual fixed version in the field? Should I expect them to fly like the practice heads once I get to that point?

How have they performed on animals?

Thanks

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had an opportunity to use one of these heads on game, but I have the Jekyll and it hits with field points out to 40-I actually shaved a vane last night. I’d say you could expect the fixed head to hit with the practice head-they hold up well, you could shoot your fixed head a couple times and easily touch it back up.

Beendare

WKR
Not the fixed but the hybrid....I've hunted with Dale and a few of my buddies also shooting his head. It's devastating...that leading edge blade makes all the difference.

Why anyone would shoot a mech over this is astounding.....

OP
E
T
I haven’t had an opportunity to use one of these heads on game, but I have the Jekyll and it hits with field points out to 40-I actually shaved a vane last night. I’d say you could expect the fixed head to hit with the practice head-they hold up well, you could shoot your fixed head a couple times and easily touch it back up.
thanks. I’ve bought a couple extra just for practice.

OP
E
Not the fixed but the hybrid....I've hunted with Dale and a few of my buddies also shooting his head. It's devastating...that leading edge blade makes all the difference.

Why anyone would shoot a mech over this is astounding.....
I’ve recently gotten some tendinitis and dropped down to 60 pounds. I have a dozen of the Hyde as well but wondering how they would do at that draw weight.

Beendare

WKR
I’ve recently gotten some tendinitis and dropped down to 60 pounds. I have a dozen of the Hyde as well but wondering how they would do at that draw weight.

FWIW, I’ve seen about 6-8 critters shot with that hybrid head. All of the guys I know are older shooting 55-65# bows and avg weight arrows 380-440g I would say- not an uber heavy arrow guy in the bunch.

Never a problem with penetration, good blood trails though most critters go down pretty quick- that small 2 blade leading edge makes all of the difference,

I have not personally seen a critter shot with his fixed head….so I can’t comment on that.

OP
E
FWIW, I’ve seen about 6-8 critters shot with that hybrid head. All of the guys I know are older shooting 55-65# bows and avg weight arrows 380-440g I would say- not an uber heavy arrow guy in the bunch.

Never a problem with penetration, good blood trails though most critters go down pretty quick- that small 2 blade leading edge makes all of the difference,

I have not personally seen a critter shot with his fixed head….so I can’t comment on that.
Perfect. That's what I want to hear before I send one. That front blade is one of the things I like about it. Even if it never opened, with the mech. blades sharpened and the leading blade, the cut is over an inch. I have some Sevr, but I've heard too many horror stories and I've shot them at my Sevr target and had them bounce off several times. I get that this is with the pivoting blades locked, but it tells me that when those tabs make contact they are absorbing a lot of the energy. My arrows are 435 grains so right in the wheelhouse of what you are talking about. Almost have my bows completely dialed and tapes ready so will start shooting actual heads for the last month or so before season starts.

Thanks for chiming in.

nphunter

WKR
They will be great, you will be fine with the mechanical or fixed. I shot the cold bow challenge with the Jekyll, I’ll be carrying both in my quiver. I’m only taking the fixed incase I need to shoot in a brushy area, otherwise it will be mechanical.

I have the fixed shooting great out to 100 yards. They shoot nearly as well as field points and seem to be very forgiving for a broadhead. They have more drag than a field tip is they shoot slightly lower at long range like any other head. I’m 3-4” apart at 80 from my field points. My sight tape is set for the broadheads.

The mechanicals will be more forgiving because they has less surface area.

I agree with Bruce on not worrying about shooting 60. My kid has had great luck the last couple years on some older mule deer with mid 40lb weight and 3 blade expandables with a 400gr arrow.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, no worries. My impression of Dale is a smart, conscientious small business guy. Its not a huge operation so you will more than likely get much better service from him vs a big company. He takes a lot of pride in his company-I like that.

As I said, full disclosure, I know him and have hunted with him a couple times. Good dude and one heck of a good tourney bow shot. The guy can shoot a bow.

We aren’t best buds or anything…more friends of friends and almost all of my friends shoot his mech head with good results.

OP
E
Perfect. Thanks all. I’m sighting in my bows with the practice head. Once I find my tapes I’m switching to the actual heads.

I appreciate all the help. Hope to see what those Hydes do this fall. Gotta imagine that hole is insane.