Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

Ludo

FNG
Yeah I’m curious about opinions on caliber too (not to highjack your thread). Would a 10mm suffice or is a larger revolver round the preferred way to go? Leaning 10mm for weight consideration.

SwiftShot

WKR
Yeah I’m curious about opinions on caliber too (not to highjack your thread). Would a 10mm suffice or is a larger revolver round the preferred way to go? Leaning 10mm for weight consideration.
A lot of guys now are carrying 10mm in Alaska, but many still carry much bigger. I just picked up a revolver for just that thing. 460 SW I can switch to 454 Casull or 45 Long Colt. I feel the pen of 10mm is not up for Brown Bear.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I started this journey by carrying a large caliber wheel gun shooting hard cast, to a G20 with hard cast to a G19 with hard cast and now carry a PMR 30 22 WMR. I want hits on target and adequate depth of penetration into the CNS.

grfox92

WKR
I don't know anyone who enjoys or wants to shoot a large caliber magnum revolver.

I owned a .41 titanium wheel gun for precisely 2 shots. Then I never shot it again and got rid of it.

I can shoot a 10mm all day and have no fear of its recoil. I couldn't say the same about a lightweight magnum. My personal experience for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Thats exactly the point. The majority of people in the bear woods do not have the skills to deal with that situation with a firearm. This while bear spray proves effective for all people (regardless of firearm skill). Secondly, the majority of firearm carrying people, likely over-estimate their capabilities with a firearm under a bear attack circumstance. Hence why the rule is bear spray is better than firearm, with he exception being a very select few having the same efficacy with a firearm as bearspray.

But for those who can handle pressure and their firearms its pretty much a sure thing. It took me about 5 minutes to find several examples of people being killed following discharging bearspray. I'm sure I can't spray better than they did, but have a solid set of handgun skills.

I own several adequate pistols and they are all or have all been carried in bear country. I've had a lot of firearms training and have been shooting mine since I was old enough to do so. Honestly I shoot my 44 mag just as accurate as my 10mm and I love them both. I haven't found the recoil to be painful or overwhelming and as long as you practice with your weapon I can shoot and get back on target just as fast with either. Obviously the 10 has almost triple the capacity but in the heat of the moment your not going to get of very many rounds. I do carry spray and I believe it definitely has its place where it is effective as I have stated before in this thread.

To be the most effective and the safest no matter what you choose you need to practice and be intimately familiar with it. If you buy a pistol because of the hype or you think it's cool and never learn to properly use and try to improve your abilities at the range your a liability to yourself and others in the Backcountry.

I would imagine tent and upwind scenarios come out in the wash as part of the studies that assessed all bear conflicts in Alaska over the last however many decades. And to be honest, if a bear is coming in the tent in the dark, I think i trust the spray more than i trust trying to find the off button of the bear with a 45. Might suck to deploy the spray, but the chances of survival are probs better.

You do you bro! I got me covered already.

Do some searches, there is at least one pretty good thread on this topic.

I have a 10mm but next time in grizz country may carry my 9mm, just because I shoot it quite a bit better. Some will mock me I'm sure. I'm not confident it's the best choice. Will probably just go with my gut at the trailhead.

Do some searches, there is at least one pretty good thread on this topic.

I have a 10mm but next time in grizz country may carry my 9mm, just because I shoot it quite a bit better. Some will mock me I'm sure. I'm not confident it's the best choice. Will probably just go with my gut at the trailhead.
Confidence and accuracy as well as staying cool under pressure will save your life faster than your caliber choice. That said I do highly recommend a heavy for caliber cast bullet with a +P load.

Jbogg

FNG
I have never hunted in grizzly country, but I do hunt black bears in the southern Appalachians where it can be thick as dogs fur. Most of my hunting is in the afternoons/evenings until dark, and blood trailing a bow shot bear through the thick mountain laurel solo after dark is a gut check. My only pistol is a Glock 40 Cal, which I’m not even sure would be up to the task of dispatching one, but it’s better than nothing. I have wondered if bear spray would be a better option, but it seems to me that if a bear has been wounded and wants to come for you, he is going to do so regardless of spray. i’m curious what others think of this scenario.

I have never hunted in grizzly country, but I do hunt black bears in the southern Appalachians where it can be thick as dogs fur. Most of my hunting is in the afternoons/evenings until dark, and blood trailing a bow shot bear through the thick mountain laurel solo after dark is a gut check. My only pistol is a Glock 40 Cal, which I’m not even sure would be up to the task of dispatching one, but it’s better than nothing. I have wondered if bear spray would be a better option, but it seems to me that if a bear has been wounded and wants to come for you, he is going to do so regardless of spray. i’m curious what others think of this scenario.
Ultimately the bear doesn't make up his mind to do so until the situation forces him to react. Situational awareness and preparedness will help. 40 isn't ideal but with good ammo and being ready to defend yourself it will do the job.

Killed my first pig ever charging me at point blank with my sidearm.

First CO hunt was hiking out after dark and had a mountain lion stalking me down the mountain. Drew my pistol but after some yelling at him he went on.

Elk97

WKR
As far as caliber is concerned, everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I went from 357 to 44 mag after having a couple of encounters with grizzlies, and my sons (live and hunt MT griz areas) having several encounters (one with an enormous griz). I felt that considering the size of a bear I might be up against I was really undergunned with the 357, and some might say the 44 is not enough. After a lot of thought, I concluded that when the chit hits the fan and I find myself in a kill or be killed situation I don't want to be thinking "damn, wish I had more stopping power". Just me but I'm comfortable with my choice.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled my Glock 29 on a Griz at 35 yards. He came out of a tree line walking in our direction and had no idea we were there. With pistol out, I yelled “hey bear”. Fortunately the bear was not interested in us and changed course. I looked over at my 12 yo son next to me, his was in shock. I said to him “if there was ever a good time to pull the bear spray out of the harness, that was it.” Upon further reflection, I did not have a bullet in the chamber of my Glock and and my son did not have his bear spray out. It was definitely a learning experience of how quickly things can turn. We will be better prepared next time.

Bluefish

WKR
Considering the gun study had slightly less than 300 encounters and this thread is already almost to 100 with probably over half having had an encounter, all positive. I would not put a lot of faith in the data. but this group is probably above average in skills with a gun vs general population.

Yarak

WKR
I have used a handgun just about every spring turkey season
Having a group of hogs to come in on you while you’re sitting on the ground before daybreak is no fun at all
I’ve always carried a sidearm during any hunting season but quickly learned to carry the magnum brand when hogs started invading
Shot a hog 8 times with a .40 and several of those were in the head and from then on I carry a 44
I also learned not to use hollow points