Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

JjamesIII

WKR
As the title states, I'm wondering how many have actually needed to use your sidearm for bear (or anything else) protection while hunting. I am guessing it is very rare that one is needed, but obviously one of those "better to have and not need it" situations.

Would love to hear the stories and advice if you have.

Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.
Bear with two cubs bluff charged, same hunt had drawn on one that was worked up and didn’t like me in his area. Didn’t shoot either of them. Sounds like most of us do more pointing then shooting. The closest either encounter that I had was , I’d estimate, 12 yards. If it was much closer I’d have started emptying the mag honestly, I’m not waiting for confirmation as to whether or not it’s a false charge or not. Aggressive bears should be culled.

I've drawn my pistol on 1 lion not shot, 3 black bears, 1 sow w/ cubs bluffed no shot, another a single bear surprised each other in thick cover he stood up about 12' away I drew and we argued for a minute then he left, and the last one I shot full charge in a campground after it attempted to break into the camper 44 mag 2 hits to the head one to the right shoulder he died at 4'. I have also drawn my pistol 2 times on grizzly bears both single bears both bluffed and broke off 20 to 30 yards out no shots. I drew on a bull moose once that took particular interest in my bay mare while we were hunting elk but he finally got down wind after several advances and left. I have shot a few deer and pigs on purpose with a few different pistols while hunting when they came in close enough to my stand.

Yoder

WKR
One time I was fishing a beaver pond about a mile from my truck. I had a few trout on my stringer and it was getting dark. I heard splashing behind me. I turned around and there was a black bear, maybe 300lbs walking right toward me. I yelled at it and threw a piece of a log and it finally turned around and started walking away. I pulled my Glock out from under my waders and packed up. I made my way through the thick swamp to the bottom of the hill where the hardwoods started. He was waiting for me. I yelled again and it wandered off about 50 yards. I got up to the trail and he was slowly walking the other direction. For some reason I decided to keep my gun in my hand. I walked about a 1/2 mile and I heard something behind me. I turned around and this bear was running right toward me. I yelled again and he slowed down but kept coming. He was about 20 yards away and I decided to shoot into a tree next to him. If he didn't run, I was going to shoot him. Fortunately he took off. I run into a lot of black bears and that's the only one I thought I would have to shoot.

I carry one when night hunting hogs...when the shooting stops there always seems to be one or two cripples that require cleaning up...waste high palmettos isnt a good place to try to swing a rifle with NV and get a shot...pistol and flashlight are a must.

*zap*

WKR
Shot a few coyotes while shed hunting/scouting. Did hunt with the pistol but never had any opportunity that was close enough.

Elk97

WKR
Have drawn twice on griz in MT, no shots.
If you are going to hunt MT you should be prepared to encounter griz. They are expanding their territory and showing up in new areas. Become proficient with your firearm. If bow hunting practice with your release on, it can get in the way especially in a tense situation.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
3x drew the sidearm.
Twice on black bears, both boars, on Colorado OTC archery elk hunts.
and 1x on mountain lion, AZ Mazatzal Wilderness.

Shot one bear, at close range. Came in fast on me when cow calling elk in the timber.
Saw me stand up and kept on coming. 2 shots, one @40'-ish hit under jaw passing thru side neck, the 2nd @ 15' right under his snout and out the back of its head...357mag Colt Python.
Shocked, lucky to even get 2 shots off, happened so fast.
Started carrying Glock 10mm after that.

The "Montrose bear" just circled & circled for 5 min before ambling off as I yelled at it. Guess it was convinced that I was a cow elk calf.

Mountain lion backed off after verbal encouragement.

Here's the thing about these types of encounters...
afterwards, they leave you shaking like you fell into an icy pond!

Rich M

WKR
Repeatedly. Downed Texas Pigs (15+). Texas Snakes (3+) . Have had to draw repeatedly for 2 legged issues w in Tucson & NM & TX. Bears in Wyo/Co/NM all of those have been more watch & wait just to see what they were going to do. Only one got aggressive but did not require shooting.
1. Most people cannot shoot a pistol to save their life. Paper on a range is one thing...drawing from holster under stress is completely different.
2. Go shoot some type of pistol match...people fall apart at the buzzer. Figure out how you actually perform. That is only a fraction of the stress when you have something running at you. I took my kids to a match this weekend to humble them again. It is absolutely humbling if you have not done it before.
3. Go look at your setup for that match...is it something you could use for hunting. (You cannot at most ranges run a chest rig for a match, OWB does it work with your backpack )
4. Can you carry that with a backpack...does it stay on you at all times.
5. Range practice...draw from your holster...three shots....reholster. Rinse & repeat
6. Dry fire practice lots of it
7. Is your holster setup secured for brush & other nonsense clawing at it.
8. Are you the type of person who is going to get up and hike in before daylight and leave late ... do you need a light?

Issues I have seen w/ people showing up w/ handguns & hunting...
FINGER IN THE TRIGGER WHILE DRAWING
NOT CHECKING FOR CLOTHING BEFORE REINSERTING INTO HOLSTER
1. Revolvers...they have never practiced firing through double action.
2. Holsters on belts that are too damned flexible
3. Poor quality holsters - cloth & snap type holsters getting stuff stuck in there and or lack of retention.
4. Footwork / body position...I've got access to shooting bays so just getting someone out there and flipping target on their far right or left....totally throws them on repositioning body

Hope this helps.
There is definitely a difference for folks who know their equipment and are comfortable with it. Nothing 20-30+ years of semi-regular or regular shooting won't fix.

I'll give the nod to the kids who grew up plinking and messing around at the range all the time. There isn't much they haven't tried or "trained for".

taskswap

WKR
The one time I did NOT have my sidearm (44 mag) it was mid-day, and I was helping a buddy try to track a bull he was sure he had wounded but just refused to lay down. I had been hunting pretty hard the day before so I left everything - including my rifle - back in camp so I could move as quickly as possible.

We tracked that bull for two hours and never found it, but near the end I bumped ANOTHER bull, a decent 5x5. It was burrowed into the lee side of a fallen pine like a tick on a dog, and I happened to be log-walking (there was a LOT of deadfall there) so I was moving pretty silently. Man, if you've ever been startled by the hot mess of a grouse getting flushed, imagine the racket from a good sized bull jumping up and crashing off, right in front of you! I swear he wasn't 15 yards away, and there I was, empty handed. I could have hit him with a rock.

Since then, to save weight I generally don't carry a sidearm when I have my rifle, but I always have SOMETHING.

Why is the best hunting lessons are often the hardest ones?

def90

WKR
For people that use one for a finisher, why not use your rifle or bow?

Keep in mind that in Colorado and probably some other states if you are hunting under an archery tag you cannot "finish off" and animal with a handgun, you have to use your bow. If you finish off an animal under an archery tag with a firearm then you have used an illegal method of take.

sacklunch

WKR
Check your local hunting rules. Some States do not allow carrying a handgun during archery season.
Curious what state/states this is...none ive hunted, so just not familiar. Seems pretty unreasonable to ban carry of a personal forearm...as long as not taking game with it, I don't see the arguement against it. I'll be sure to avoid that state. Too many crazies, both 2 and 4 legged to not have a sidearm for personal protection.

steeleb3

FNG
As the title states, I'm wondering how many have actually needed to use your sidearm for bear (or anything else) protection while hunting. I am guessing it is very rare that one is needed, but obviously one of those "better to have and not need it" situations.

Would love to hear the stories and advice if you have.

Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.
Studies show that a sidearm as bear deterrent typically results in more injuries to the person than when bear spray is deployed.

Bear spray still undoubtedly the #1 option to halt a bear attack.

I guess, with a sidearm… what are the odds you can hit a target the size of the bottom side of a beer can coming at you at 65km/hr. My experience with bear attack is things are calm and then the bear is running at you. If you want to shoot it while things are calm… well then you aren’t really defending yourself. Trying to shoot the thing after it’s running at me is a near impossible task unless you have special training, let alone trying to rack a second round, or settle your aim for a second. Whereas bear spray doesn’t need to be accurate (tho wind is consideration), and close range deployment only. It shuts this down.

taskswap

WKR
Curious what state/states this is...none ive hunted, so just not familiar. Seems pretty unreasonable to ban carry of a personal forearm...as long as not taking game with it, I don't see the arguement against it. I'll be sure to avoid that state. Too many crazies, both 2 and 4 legged to not have a sidearm for personal protection.
In some states in the Northeast, just carrying a firearm during any hunting season was considered "prima facie" evidence of intent to hunt:

"Possession by any person of a loaded hunting implement while at or entering or leaving an area where a reasonable person would believe the objective was to take wildlife."​

I imagine they'd look pretty hard at a hunter carrying a pistol during archery season if they applied the same thought process.

Colorado has a specific page on this exact topic:

There is no such thing as a back-up sidearm during hunting season. You may carry a handgun with you during the act of hunting for personal protection but that is the purpose. There is no specific requirement for a legal handgun for personal protection (barrel length or caliber)except that it is in legal possession of the person under Colorado Law.​
The use of a handgun to “put an animal down” would only fall into use during a rifle season and then the handgun must be in accordance with a legal method of take and meet the criteria listed in the Big Game Brochure, i.e. At a minimum, it must have a four-inch barrel, fire an expanding bullet of .24 caliber (6 mm) or larger and use a load that produces a minimum 550 ft. pounds of energy at 50 yards. Shoulder stocks or other attachments are prohibited.​
The manner of take is the important part here. During archery season, no firearm can be used as a legal method of take. During muzzleloading season, the only legal method of take is a black powder firearm. You cannot use a handgun to shoot an animal to “finish it off” in either of these two seasons.​

So it's OK in theory... But a big frame 44-mag "Hunter Special" with a scope on it on your hip is going to look a lot different to a wildlife officer than a snub-nose 357 in an ankle holster. Just because you don't get charged for something (because it ultimately turns out to be ok) doesn't mean it isn't super awkward getting grilled by a wildlife officer if something seems fishy...

sacklunch

WKR
In some states in the Northeast, just carrying a firearm during any hunting season was considered "prima facie" evidence of intent to hunt:

"Possession by any person of a loaded hunting implement while at or entering or leaving an area where a reasonable person would believe the objective was to take wildlife."​

I imagine they'd look pretty hard at a hunter carrying a pistol during archery season if they applied the same thought process.

Colorado has a specific page on this exact topic:

There is no such thing as a back-up sidearm during hunting season. You may carry a handgun with you during the act of hunting for personal protection but that is the purpose. There is no specific requirement for a legal handgun for personal protection (barrel length or caliber)except that it is in legal possession of the person under Colorado Law.​
The use of a handgun to “put an animal down” would only fall into use during a rifle season and then the handgun must be in accordance with a legal method of take and meet the criteria listed in the Big Game Brochure, i.e. At a minimum, it must have a four-inch barrel, fire an expanding bullet of .24 caliber (6 mm) or larger and use a load that produces a minimum 550 ft. pounds of energy at 50 yards. Shoulder stocks or other attachments are prohibited.​
The manner of take is the important part here. During archery season, no firearm can be used as a legal method of take. During muzzleloading season, the only legal method of take is a black powder firearm. You cannot use a handgun to shoot an animal to “finish it off” in either of these two seasons.​

So it's OK in theory... But a big frame 44-mag "Hunter Special" with a scope on it on your hip is going to look a lot different to a wildlife officer than a snub-nose 357 in an ankle holster. Just because you don't get charged for something (because it ultimately turns out to be ok) doesn't mean it isn't super awkward getting grilled by a wildlife officer if something seems fishy...
Regs are pretty black and white...I have yet to see a reg banning carry of a sidearm for protection....still haven't. Any states in particular? The NE is a big place.

It's probably going to look pretty weird if you're hunting with an ankle holster...

I have talked to a few wildlife officers in Colorado with a handgun on me. They haven't asked about it.

Last edited: