Ever Used Your Sidearm While Hunting?

Fatcamp

WKR
Studies show that a sidearm as bear deterrent typically results in more injuries to the person than when bear spray is deployed.

Bear spray still undoubtedly the #1 option to halt a bear attack.

I guess, with a sidearm… what are the odds you can hit a target the size of the bottom side of a beer can coming at you at 65km/hr. My experience with bear attack is things are calm and then the bear is running at you. If you want to shoot it while things are calm… well then you aren’t really defending yourself. Trying to shoot the thing after it’s running at me is a near impossible task unless you have special training, let alone trying to rack a second round, or settle your aim for a second. Whereas bear spray doesn’t need to be accurate (tho wind is consideration), and close range deployment only. It shuts this down.

Can you post a link to some of those studies?

sacklunch

WKR
It's probably going to look pretty weird if you're hunting with an ankle holster...

I have talked to a few wildlife officers in Colorado with a handgun in me. They haven't asked about it.

Studies show that a sidearm as bear deterrent typically results in more injuries to the person than when bear spray is deployed.

Bear spray still undoubtedly the #1 option to halt a bear attack.

I guess, with a sidearm… what are the odds you can hit a target the size of the bottom side of a beer can coming at you at 65km/hr. My experience with bear attack is things are calm and then the bear is running at you. If you want to shoot it while things are calm… well then you aren’t really defending yourself. Trying to shoot the thing after it’s running at me is a near impossible task unless you have special training, let alone trying to rack a second round, or settle your aim for a second. Whereas bear spray doesn’t need to be accurate (tho wind is consideration), and close range deployment only. It shuts this down.
Undoubtedly? I doubt it.

I'd shoot hardcast into a headwind any day of the week...can't say the same for bear spray.

TheTone

WKR
Keep in mind that in Colorado and probably some other states if you are hunting under an archery tag you cannot "finish off" and animal with a handgun, you have to use your bow. If you finish off an animal under an archery tag with a firearm then you have used an illegal method of take.
Well understood, doesn’t keep some people from doing it

Warmsy

WKR
Curious what state/states this is...none ive hunted, so just not familiar. Seems pretty unreasonable to ban carry of a personal forearm...as long as not taking game with it, I don't see the arguement against it. I'll be sure to avoid that state. Too many crazies, both 2 and 4 legged to not have a sidearm for personal protection.
Sadly, here in California you are disallowed caring a sidearm while hunting in archery season, or with an archery tag, while hunting deer. CCW is allowed, but it has to be concealed.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Can you post a link to some of those studies?
I was curious, so I took a quick look on google scholar. Found two, both co-authored by Stephen Herrero, author of the very good Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance.

Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Defense in Alaska
"We compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. Encounters involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 218 incidents, 81%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 30 incidents, 11%), polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 6 incidents, 2%), and 15 (6%) unidentified species provided insight into firearms success and failure. A total of 444 people and at least 367 bears were involved in these incidents. We found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) and handguns (84%). Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. Bears were killed in 61% (n = 162) of bear–firearms incidents. Additionally, we identified multiple reasons for firearms failing to stop an aggressive bear. Using logistic regression, the best model for predicting a successful outcome for firearm users included species and cohort of bear, human activity at time of encounter, whether or not the bear charged, and if fish or game meat was present. Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear. Where firearms have failed to protect people, we identified contributing causes. Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country."

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska
"We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20 (28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears' undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90% for black bears, and 100% for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bear—inflicted injuries (n = 3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In 7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country."

If anyone wants to read the whole text, look up SciHub.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Some great responses so far. Thanks!

Would like to stick to stories of actual times where using the gun you had was necessary and leave the debating to the numerous other threads on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
As the title states, I'm wondering how many have actually needed to use your sidearm for bear (or anything else) protection while hunting. I am guessing it is very rare that one is needed, but obviously one of those "better to have and not need it" situations.

Would love to hear the stories and advice if you have.

Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.
Yes, hunting elk in Wyoming

crich

WKR
Time doesn't currently permit writing the story, but I've written about it before on here. A sow and the boar in the picture charged my wife and I one after the other. Was no fun.
Has your wife been back in the woods since? Mine would be done forever.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
We were archery hunting and had our heads down tracking some fresh elk sign in some dark timber and we walked right into a sow with two cubs at about 20 yards and she wasn’t too happy about it. She woofed her cubs up a tree and turned and started stomping her front paws and popping her jaw so we put the bows down and drew our sidearms. We had a good stand off for a few minutes with the sow taking a couple of quick steps towards us and then backing off right when I was about to shoot. The bears ended up scrambling off after a few minutes.

The second time I drew my pistol in self defense was when I was running down a trail by myself late at night in the dark trying to make it back to the trailhead so I could go home for a work commitment in then middle of a hunt and had some gear come off of my pack. I backtracked up the trail to find my stuff when I found fresh lion tracks on my tracks. My hairs on my neck popped up and I was cursing my small cheap energizer headlamp that I could barely see 30 yards with. I carefully made my way down the trail with my head on a constant swivel and about a mile later I heard some shale sliding down towards the trail pretty close. I drew my sidearm and caught some faint movement behind some trees and right when I was about to unload and a porky pine popped out. About crapped my pants and had a heart attack all at once. I should have shot him out of spite for what he did to me. Filthy animal.

ETA: I’m not sure how I forgot to write this one, but I was archery hunting for elk solo and was working through some dark timber when I saw movement ahead, so I froze and before I knew it three wolves popped out about 20’ away. The lead wolf lowered his head and growled and it was a little hairy. I had one minor issue: my sidearm had been rubbing on my pack belt so I had put it in my backpack about an hour before this showdown. I went to the fastest option which was my bow and I nocked an arrow. When I drew back the wolves took off in different directions but the trees were so thick I couldn’t get a shooting lane at any of them so I threw the bow down and ripped my pack off and got my 9mm out. By then I couldn’t see any of them but I could hear them moving around and then they started howling all around me. With my gun drawn, I ran towards one of the howls and broke into a clearing but I still couldn’t see anything. I found a large tree that had blown down and used it to cover my back and sat down and proceeded to do some elk calf in distress calls. Sure enough I saw a wolf pop up at 90 yards (which was well beyond my M&P Shields range) but it wouldn’t come any closer and just circled away. The pack regrouped and I could hear them howling as they moved away. I’ve kept my sidearm on my side ever since. Would have been easy to have shot a wolf or two if I would have. I even had tags. 😭

Last edited:

LoggerDan

WKR
Only in logging camp. Black bear was eating bar oil and making a mess. Assistant mechpanic went to check it out, but was promptly chased back to the bunkhouse. We fixed it.

As the title states, I'm wondering how many have actually needed to use your sidearm for bear (or anything else) protection while hunting. I am guessing it is very rare that one is needed, but obviously one of those "better to have and not need it" situations.

Would love to hear the stories and advice if you have.

Might be archery hunting in Montana this fall so have been thinking about whether to carry and how best to train if I do.
I’ll post up my story of firing my sidearm while hunting tomorrow… it was a pretty cool encounter with a big Tom lion at very close range… would love to have that encounter to do over… win, lose or draw, there were a few things I wish I would’ve done differently… hindsight is a reoccurring theme in the woods, I assume that’s part of what draws us to it, the unknown, and desire react to any scenario on demand, but as long as adrenaline is part of the equation, we will always be chasing our tails to some extent when the unexpected happens with no warning, especially if the stakes feel high in the moment rather they are or aren’t

Yep... not for the reason I was carrying the 10mm, (kodiak), had to put a 2nd shot into a sitka blacktail and didn't want to shoot it with a 300wm at point blank range. WAY better than needing it for an angry bear.

SwiftShot

WKR
Well I met a couple of 2 legged snaked checking out my truck once. They were admiring the tool box at the logging gate. Things might have been different if I just had my bow. They were invited to leave or stay but staying might entail a shovel.

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
For people that use one for a finisher, why not use your rifle or bow?
Pistol ammo is cheaper. Broadheads are getting expensive! I haven't had to use a pistol yet tho.
For those using a sidearm for grouse, do you use birdshot? I thought about getting some for my 9mm but read that it wouldn't eject.

Pdzoller

WKR
Never had to discharge. I’ve pulled it a few times though. I’ve experienced some creepy stuff out there.

While dirt bike riding some back country trails I used mine to hold a suspect that was chasing a young girl through the woods until the sheriff arrived. Two legged threats are possibly the most important reason to carry.

Was charged by a pack of 8 feral dogs while scouting deer and fired a few shots to chase them off. Probably should have killed as many as possible, but I love dogs.

JjamesIII

WKR
I've drawn my pistol on 1 lion not shot, 3 black bears, 1 sow w/ cubs bluffed no shot, another a single bear surprised each other in thick cover he stood up about 12' away I drew and we argued for a minute then he left, and the last one I shot full charge in a campground after it attempted to break into the camper 44 mag 2 hits to the head one to the right shoulder he died at 4'. I have also drawn my pistol 2 times on grizzly bears both single bears both bluffed and broke off 20 to 30 yards out no shots. I drew on a bull moose once that took particular interest in my bay mare while we were hunting elk but he finally got down wind after several advances and left. I have shot a few deer and pigs on purpose with a few different pistols while hunting when they came in close enough to my stand.
Dude/ you are bear bait! Lol that’s a lot of action, I do not want to hunt your areas.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
2x on a black bear sow with cubs in the same summer. Thankfully I did not have to discharge the gun, but it as very close. Bears charged to about 10-yards both times while cubs ran up a tree. I think it would have to be chewing on my leg to shoot a sow with tiny cubs.

1x Blacktail Hunting in Western Washington when I literally walked into an illegal grow operation on timber company land. Guy (clearly tweaking) was reaching for his gun and I pulled mine first. Pointed it at the ground and told him I was leaving the way I came. I think I would have been shot that day had I not had a pistol.