Ever catch grouse by hand?

AkRyan

WKR
Little guy just let me pick him up! Tbh he has been hanging out with my good friend for un known reasons??? It has never been fed by humans it just likes our company!

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_211831.jpg
    IMG_20230325_211831.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 112

hiker270

WKR
Had a tame grouse up at my cabin a few years ago. When he would hear my atv come up the road he would fly out of the woods into the yard. He would eat out of my hand and follow me around the yard. He was there for about 3 years and then disappeared.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We were hunting in Northern Wis. for ruffed grouse, when I stepped on the tail feathers of one that was hunkered down. When he took off it scared the crap out of me. I never saw it, and yes I did miss it.

We were hunting in Northern Wis. for ruffed grouse, when I stepped on the tail feathers of one that was hunkered down. When he took off it scared the crap out of me. I never saw it, and yes I did miss it.
Nothing like walking through eye level brush accidentally flushing hens to clear out before a colonoscopy!

Mojave

WKR
I have caught wild sage grouse in Wyoming in the spring and ruffed grouse in Maine by hand. Both times they were accustomed to people. I just pet them and released them. The sage grouse kind of snuggled for a cuddle. Like they were lab puppies.

Erict

WKR
Friend had one at his camp that would come out every time he rode his ATV through an opening in a stone wall. Shut off the ATV and lay on the ground and it would walk all over you. You could "pet" its breast and "play" with it or feed it out of your hands. It was around for 3 years and then disappeared.

mpuFwfv.jpg

rclouse79

WKR
I have caught a few via rock or stick projectile. There was one my buddy and I got by hand. We both dived for it at the same time and collided. After we collected our wits and stopped laughing we got him. Turned out he was injured and one half of his body was green with infection which is why he was not acting right.

gbflyer

WKR
They become very territorial in the Spring. We have had resident grouse like to guard their turf by charging out and pecking at us. Can catch them too. They are funny.