Evacuation Insurance

Here is a link to a thorough discussion regarding Evac Insurance options for the backcountry.

Like Luc, I chose Garmin Insurance.

Here are some key takeaways:

I always have my Inreach Mini 2 with me, no matter the activity, as Alaska has many dead zones for cell coverage.

If you pay for the Garmin Rescue Insurance, which is well worth the cost, they will only honor that if you hit SOS on the device. The Garmin Response Center can then contact local SAR and EMS. In places like Alaska, you may be rescued by a local SAR, USCG, State Troopers or the 212 PJ’s, which wouldn’t cost you. But, if a private company such as LifeMed picks up the call, you could be liable for a very large amount of money.

Poser

WKR
In Colorado, you will only be rescued by SAR which does not charge. Hunting licenses have a surcharge that helps fund SAR. However, once your rescue is handed off to an ambulance ride, and that could still include a helicopter, you're on your insurance or out of pocket. If you spend time in the backcountry, probably best to check your coverage for ambulance rides and get your coverage up into the $150,000 range. I pay about $40 extra per month for "high risk" coverage which insures all of the things basic health insurance excludes such as skiing, gunshot wounds, climbing injuries etc.

Its wild to me that in AK you could literally be rescued by PJs, arguably the best trained, most qualified rescuers in the world at no charge to you, but you could also be rescued by LifeMed, which might be a 19 year old EMT with minimal training and it could cost you $250,000. Obviously there are factors of proximity and availability, but that's a significant spread of service.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly something to consider as an Alaska resident...who just bought a zoleo..adulting sucks. Thanks for the article. Kind of eye opening how little I've consider these things. Now that I've started becoming slightly aware that I am not young anymore, as with all things, the responsibility increases.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, this is really helpful from a practical standpoint. It’s romantic to talk about fishhooks, flint, spears, and twine but the reality is all of that is antiquated with recent technology like an Inreach. If I’m in a survival situation I’m hitting the button, so good to know how the different insurance stacks up. FAK (whether it’s for you or you are just being a responsible backcountry citizen) is there for things I can deal with or to bridge the time between injury and SAR arrival.

, but you could also be rescued by LifeMed, which might be a 19 year old EMT with minimal training and it could cost you $250,000. Obviously there are factors of proximity and availability, but that's a significant spread of service.

Might be worth looking into. There's stuff like this out there. . This is obviously for the west coast..

yfarm

WKR
Local hospitals may contract with Air ambulance services and direct patients to those services without the patients realizing those companies don’t accept insurance.
Monroe County Florida sheriffs department has their own helicopter for transport available for free to residents and property owners. The Key West hospital contracts with a company that has no insurance contracts and is sited at the hospital. They(hospital) will not tell you about the sheriffs dept helicopter which will come there if called to transport to Miami but load you on the private service for a $75,000 100 mile ride unless you call the sheriffs department. User beware.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Typically no agency charges for Search and Rescue operations. Some agencies have the ability to bill a person if certain circumstances are present but it’s not common practice. While medical transport may be a part of a SAR operation once the person is rescued it is a completely separate issue. Having the SAR insurance is typically worthless but having local air ambulance service insurance is a really good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Typically no agency charges for Search and Rescue operations. Some agencies have the ability to bill a person if certain circumstances are present but it’s not common practice. While medical transport may be a part of a SAR operation once the person is rescued it is a completely separate issue. Having the SAR insurance is typically worthless but having local air ambulance service insurance is a really good idea.

In a place that is remote, like Alaska, the S&R operations could be that Air Ambulance Service however, as described in Luc's write up where he describes the rescue of his friend with the broken femur while Nordic Ice Skating.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
In a place that is remote, like Alaska, the S&R operations could be that Air Ambulance Service however, as described in Luc's write up where he describes the rescue of his friend with the broken femur while Nordic Ice Skating.

Unfortunately that story is a bad example. In that instance they called 911 just like any other accident where cell coverage is available. SAR insurance would not cover this. You would need a separate insurance for air medical transportation if your current insurance policy did not cover the cost.