GEOS SAR or MEDIVAC "insurance"

colonel00

WKR
Anyone sign up for these or see a benefit in them. I was looking through some of the stuff that comes with my Delorme InReach SE and it has GEOS SOS included in the subscription but the SAR is $18/yr and the MEDIVAC is $99/yr. I assume Spot has something similar if not the same. Is there any benefit to paying for these benefits?

Additional GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit Program
Provides up to $100,000 in search and rescue resources

This special program can insulate you from significant financial impact by providing additional search and rescue (SAR) resources that may be necessary to aid in your rescue and may not be readily available to local responders (including specialized personnel, special vehicles and equipment, etc.). The benefit gives the you access to up to US$100,000 in any one year with a single incident limit of US$50,000. In some countries, there is either a charge for SAR, or there may be no official agency willing or able to respond, again the GEOS SAR benefit can help. (Note: This prepaid annual benefit is for you and doesn’t cover someone else using your inReach.)
$17.95* /Year Details

GEOS Worldwide Medical Evacuation
In the event of a hospital stay, be transported to the hospital of your choice anywhere in the world!

This is a single, life-saving source for medical evacuation and emergency assistance. The program provides up to US$1 million to pay for emergency medical evacuation expenses to transport you in a medically-equipped and staffed aircraft from the place of any incident anywhere in the world to the nearest medical facility and then to a hospital near your home. The service is available if you are 99 miles or more away from home. (Note: This benefit is for you and doesn’t cover someone else using your inReach.)
$98.95* US & Canada Coverage/Year Details

$120.95* International Coverage/Year Details

kodiakfly

WKR
Depends on where you're hunting. I don't know of any SAR agencies in the US that will charge for rescue. (Though I don't know of every single agency, so maybe some do somewhere.) If you're anywhere in USCG AOR, we'll come get your for free no matter what; sea or land. We've hoisted goat and deer hunters. Same with DoD SAR response where that applies.

Maybe in another country or even Canada they charge, but not in the US that I know of. Even civilian SAR organizations and clubs are typically volunteer and don't charge.

Rokwiia

WKR
I just looked their plans and it looks like you have to be more than 100 miles from home. Cost was around $360/year. Also in the Member Services Agreement it says:

"Company shall not be under any obligation to provide Medical Transport Services if, in Company’s sole discretion: (i) the Traveling Member is not reasonably accessible and cannot be transported safely or is located in a region that is not safely accessible.."

In my opinion, a lot of language, such as "reasonably" and "safely", that provides an out on their part.

https://www.globalrescue.com/grmkt_...mer-MSA-copy.pdf?signupas=member&source=grcom

The reason we want to buy insurance in the first place IS to cover the cost of a transport in an area that may not be easy to get to.

Last edited: