European Mount

GET-SAUM

FNG
I have Euro mounted a couple heads myself over the years and it’s definitely a process. I’ve never paid to have one done. Does everyone like doing it themselves or is it worth just paying the money and have it done professionally? A deer has been a lot easier because of the size, the elk is definitely tougher.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have a local beetle guy that does it for about half the price most taxidermists charge. If the animal is a decent size, you can sell the cape. The last two bucks I killed just about paid for each of their euro mounts. One taxidermist offered to trade me straight across, cape for euro.

OP
GET-SAUM

GET-SAUM

FNG
I've had enough of DIY, we have a beetle guy locally who does an amazing job and he gets $175 for elk sized heads. His stuff comes out way better than anything we've ever done.
Yeah that’s what I’ve noticed too, not that much money for the quality you receive vs spending a lot of time and mess to do it yourself

OP
GET-SAUM

GET-SAUM

FNG
I have a local beetle guy that does it for about half the price most taxidermists charge. If the animal is a decent size, you can sell the cape. The last two bucks I killed just about paid for each of their euro mounts. One taxidermist offered to trade me straight across, cape for euro.
That’s a good idea, I’ve never thought about that. That’s worth a shot next time to ask.

IdahoBeav

WKR
That’s a good idea, I’ve never thought about that. That’s worth a shot next time to ask.
I don't understand why so many people waste capes. Unless the hair is mangey or shedding, just about every cape has some value if it is skinned properly and undamaged. A small buck isn't going to be worth much, but needs for them do occasionally arise. Large mule deer capes are at a premium.

cnelk

WKR
As far as elk euros go, it’s nice to have a good buddy that does an amazing job. He just does my stuff for some beer. ;)

IMG_1933.jpeg

IdahoBeav

WKR
I asked about my WT cape that I got a couple weeks ago.

A taxidermist said he’d give me $40 - only if it was tubed caped (not split) and the ears were good.

My time is worth more than that.

Another local taxi only offered $50 for my muley. It depends on the need, and the size dictates everything. Right now WT aren't worth much to the guy I sell to, either. Other regions and taxis, and WT might be needed. You have to find someone that has clients with trophy animals and bad capes, which for my buyer is mule deer. I sold my decent buck capes for $150 each, and one had some sparring notches in the ears. He told me he would pay $250 for a 22" neck muley, which is a little larger than the ones I sold.
As for the cutting and skinning. This also depends on the taxi. There are some guys that actually prefer split up the back of the neck. Some prefer tubed. Some even want tubed legs. It all varies on their work preferences.

I used beetles for a while and they are such a pain in the butt! I switched to maceration and when done right there is no difference in quality compared to a beetle cleaned skull. If the maceration is done right. I hated doing euro’s and will never do one for myself. I much prefer a nice antler plaque with a good smooth covering of leather over the skull plate. When I quit taxidermy I was getting $400 for a big elk and $250 for deer sized skulls. This was without a plaque or any hanging system.

I just turned down a really nice longhorn steer we slaughtered last week. I don’t miss the taxidermy business at all.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I have done a few deer myself by boiling,
Dropped my elk off this year to have it cleaned by the beetles, the detail should be so much better.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a couple elk, a couple mule deer and a mt lion myself. It’s definitely not something I enjoy doing but I can’t convince myself to pay someone else to do a job I can do. Plus I can have it done in one day vs waiting for a taxidermist to do it.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I use the maceration process (learned on here). Bucket of water, couple of fish tank heaters, and a few days. Then de-grease it by soaking it in fresh water and dawn dish soap for a couple of days. Then paint on some commercial strength hydrogen peroxide, wrap in foil and wait another couple of days.

Very little effort, you're mostly just waiting. It does smell like you have a dead body in your backyard though...

I started doing them myself. When it was just me and my wife I paid to have them done, but when my daughter and I doubled last year on bucks, I decided to give it a whirl. It’s not bad, and time spent isn’t bad either. Elk are certainly more time consuming, not only due to size but it seems like the skulls are more fatty/greasy.