Estate Question pricing Ammo

Rich M

WKR
Im trying to figure out value for some anmo for an estate. They have about 25 boxes of ammo, 5-6 diff calibers.

I was considering averaging prices he paid vs new and then using 50% of that as a sellable value.

There is even 1/2 box of paper hull 12 ga bird shot. Just have trouble putting a “new” value on 10-20 yr old ammo like some would.

Example, have about 850 rounds of .22. Put a value of $40 on it. He does have a newer brick but the rest is old. Figure it is worth the $40 price fir the new brick and if the old stuff works everyone would be happy. If it didn’t no-one is “screwed”.

Does this sound reasonable or am i cutting it short?

fwafwow

WKR
FMV usually has little to do with the price paid, unless the purchase was very recent in time compared to the date of death. You should probably look at GB prices as a starting point. If some ammo is so old that no one would purchase it, then it’s probably worthless.

.40 a round for 22 lr is high. You can buy new cheaper.
I think you need to move your decimal place over one. $40/850 rounds is $0.047 per round. Which I believe is quite fair if it's a mix of old and new ammo.

Fwafwow makes a good suggestion, check gunbroker and get a baseline. Sometimes that old ammo might bring more than new depending on what it is.

@Rich M I think your method seems very reasonable. Older ammo can be tricky to price. It comes down to the demand for those calibers as well. You can probably sell a 30yr box of coreloks for a couple bucks cheaper than they are on the shelf right now.

Good luck with estate

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
.40 a round for 22 lr is high. You can buy new cheaper.
This is where I came up with $40 for a brick, which is 500 rounds. 40.00/500 = $0.08.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/remington-thunderbolt-22-lr-40-grain-lead-round-nose-rimfire-ammo

@fwafwow & @sbaker0029 - thanks!

I'm using GB and Guns.com to price the guns (nothing of real value there). Trying to get a gun shop value - seeing what they go for and then thinking to come in at going at 50-60% of that. Thought process - If they sold the estate guns to a gun shop, that's what they would get, so that's where I'm pricing it.

Commissions are about 25% around here if they want to hang the guns at a gun shop and wait til someone bought it at gun shop prices... So a gun shop would buy a $400 gun at $200, and if folks wanted to wait say 3 or 4 months, they could sell it at $400, pay $100 commission, and get $300.

The ammo will go with the corresponding gun. The values of the gun & ammo will be added to estate or factored into the estate value. If someone say gets say 25% of the estate and the overall value is say $25K, then the value of the gun & ammo of their choice would be part of the $25K they get. That's how I understand it anyway.

Helping with this has opened my eyes to the hassle of estates and that the stuff I think means something will probably be gotten rid of as quickly as possible. Thinking the days of handing down say fishing tackle from one generation to the other only works if the next generation fishes and wants the family heirlooms. Most folks seem to think in terms of money.

This is where I came up with $40 for a brick, which is 500 rounds. 40.00/500 = $0.08.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/remington-thunderbolt-22-lr-40-grain-lead-round-nose-rimfire-ammo

@fwafwow & @sbaker0029 - thanks!

I'm using GB and Guns.com to price the guns (nothing of real value there). Trying to get a gun shop value - seeing what they go for and then thinking to come in at going at 50-60% of that. Thought process - If they sold the estate guns to a gun shop, that's what they would get, so that's where I'm pricing it.

Commissions are about 25% around here if they want to hang the guns at a gun shop and wait til someone bought it at gun shop prices... So a gun shop would buy a $400 gun at $200, and if folks wanted to wait say 3 or 4 months, they could sell it at $400, pay $100 commission, and get $300.

The ammo will go with the corresponding gun. The values of the gun & ammo will be added to estate or factored into the estate value. If someone say gets say 25% of the estate and the overall value is say $25K, then the value of the gun & ammo of their choice would be part of the $25K they get. That's how I understand it anyway.

Helping with this has opened my eyes to the hassle of estates and that the stuff I think means something will probably be gotten rid of as quickly as possible. Thinking the days of handing down say fishing tackle from one generation to the other only works if the next generation fishes and wants the family heirlooms. Most folks seem to think in terms of money.
I don’t know what happened with my math.

I think your 50% of an averaged purchase price sounds fair.
I just bought a truck load of crap in a similar situation. Much of it is in that middle ground of the 70’s and 80’s. Old, but not old enough to be interesting. Stuff that age isn’t much for collecting, and not worth starting in on cause you can’t get more and will just have to change again.

Boxes of random ammo are in my mind worth the brass they are in, if there is enough of it to have a decent amount of brass.