Equipment suggestions, first back country hunt.

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
AS the title says, I need some info/recommendations. Going on my first back country hunt this fall and being from Kentucky I don't have a lot resources to draw from.

Anyway, I need a good head lamp, (I'm not really concerned if its rechargable or uses AAA's) a zero degree sleeping bag and a day pack. To my knowledge the pack needs to be big enough to hold my clothes, lunch, fire starter/lighters, head lamps, batteries and /or battery pack and extra ammo. I'm tall (6'8"), dont know if certain day packs fit better than others.

Thanks in advance.

tbro16

FNG
Petzel Actik with a few rechargeable batteries are real tough to beat. Lightweight, last a good while, super bright compared to competitors, and easily charges using a portable battery source. Don't get suckered into buying those garbage black diamonds.

FWIW, I have never compared brand to brand, nor have I used a daypack, but I'm 6'6 and love how my Exo K2 (a little outdated now) fits. I'd recommend their packs to anyone.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your base camping I'd look at traditional sleeping bag (rectangular) and bring some blankets. You'll need to make sure you have insulation (mattress air/foam)under you while you sleep.

For a day pack I'd scope out the used options in the classifieds. I'm using a kifaru 357 mag for day hunts/overnighter.

While all headlamps aren't equal, I don't find myself using anything crazy expensive. Mine is 3 aaa middle of pack in lumens output prince tech. New batteries last the entire trip.
I will probably upgrade at some point to a rechargeable one with more lumens but I've been saying that for awhile

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

we need a lot more info on the species, time of year, hunt style, and whether you're going guided or not to provide useful recommendations.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a shoe box full of Black Diamond lamps, but my go to is Peax. It’s rechargeable, bright and is one of the few that has a bright, spot style (not flood) red light.

On the bag… I’m big(6’1, 325) I have a few Big Agnes Park series, but recently converted to a quilt. Brian w/El Coyote walked me through everything size-wise, as I was concerned I was too big to be able to utilize a quilt, correctly! He reassured me, came up with a custom sized quilt for like… an additional $25! Love it couldn’t be happier!

Day bag… I use my Exo K3 3200/4800 for everything(day hikes to spike camps). Most high end packs are excellent at collapsing, but IMO, Exo nailed it!

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you already are bringing a battery pack, get a light you can charge. I prefer the black diamond rechargeable lights. I think it’s called the spot. Get an inreach or some way of communication back there. But without knowing what you re really doing, ie number of days, time of year etc. it’s hard to say what you’ll need. More info and the guys on here will definitely lend a hand

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
we need a lot more info on the species, time of year, hunt style, and whether you're going guided or not to provide useful recommendations.
I am hunting September 9th-14th. Guided, camp elevation is 9000 feet. fall bear. will be on horseback and should have stock to carry backpack, hide and meat, and gear if we end up spiking out for a night.

I used a black diamond cosmo to do a lot of hiking at night last year. Lightweight, cheap, and battery life is good for 3x AAA. I keep a small 1x AAA light in my pocket for backup 24/7 anyway. so I just standardize on that battery size.

Liked having the inreach to keep in contact with the wife. Should say, she appreciated it too vs disappearing for 8 days lol.

I have a Mystery Ranch pintler. It's on the small side for multiple days, but putting food in a drybag on the meat shelf works. It cinches down to a reasonable size for day hunting from a basecamp, but is good to carry 70+ lb loads of meat out.

0 degree bag might not be needed that early, and probably no need to spend a ton getting the most compact option if there will be stock available to haul the gear. REI brand gear is usually good enough. I have a mountain hardwear 15* down bag that is okay. Got pretty chilly during 1st rifle, so I'll be layering up a bit to help out this year.

Folks will recommend a shakedown trip to get your gear straight ahead of time, but that's like zero fun in the southeast during the summer. If you're tough and don't mind embracing a little suck, you'll be fine either way.

Bring chapstick with sunscreen. Actually, bring three.

Rob5589

WKR
I am hunting September 9th-14th. Guided, camp elevation is 9000 feet. fall bear. will be on horseback and should have stock to carry backpack, hide and meat, and gear if we end up spiking out for a night.
Do you need a backpack in that case? Never done one so genuinely curious. I'd think if a horse was carrying my gear a good duffel would work. I'd ask the service about accommodations; a 0 degree bag may not be necessary in a heated wall tent.

I wasn’t expecting that answer. Sounds cool.

In general… In September at >9000ft, you need to be ready for hot and sunny (sunscreen, chapstick, boonie hat), rain (rain gear, gaiters), wind (good outer layer jacket, down jacket) or snow. It shouldn’t get bitter cold though.

I prefer Petzel to Black Diamond. If this is the only hunt you’re gearing up for and you’re not planning multiple non-guided hunts in the future, I wouldn’t spend an arm and a leg on Western Mountaineering or Valandre bags, or a Stone Glacier pack. Get a warm, comfortable bag, Big Agnes pad and a decent pack. I like Mystery Ranch Pintlar and the Pop Up, but I get a very nice discount.

I could go in more depth, but I wouldn’t go crazy on 1000s of dollars of top end gear.

a 0 degree bag will probably be overkill. with a hunt like you're going on, quality gear will have little to no effect on your success, so use whatever you can get cheap IMO.

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn’t expecting that answer. Sounds cool.

In general… In September at >9000ft, you need to be ready for hot and sunny (sunscreen, chapstick, boonie hat), rain (rain gear, gaiters), wind (good outer layer jacket, down jacket) or snow. It shouldn’t get bitter cold though.

I prefer Petzel to Black Diamond. If this is the only hunt you’re gearing up for and you’re not planning multiple non-guided hunts in the future, I wouldn’t spend an arm and a leg on Western Mountaineering or Valandre bags, or a Stone Glacier pack. Get a warm, comfortable bag, Big Agnes pad and a decent pack. I like Mystery Ranch Pintlar and the Pop Up, but I get a very nice discount.

I could go in more depth, but I wouldn’t go crazy on 1000s of dollars of top end gear.
Thanks. This isn’t my one and only back country hunt. I’m sitting on points for elk and mule deer in 3 states. There’s no telling how those could end up. I’ll likely go back with this outfitter next fall or shortly thereafter for elk, which will be the exact same situation. I didn’t think about the sunscreen or chapstick. Good call. My guide said to expect 15 degrees in the morning and 90 in the afternoon. So be prepared for everything.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
For a headlamp, I've moved on to the Fenix HM65R-T Running Headlamp after using Petzl and BD for years. For me, it really excels compared to those other two brands which are both really good. It might be overkill if you don't see yourself using it often.

Skeezer69

FNG
I’ve found the Peax Backcountry Duo lamp is great! It has the perfect amount of features and is very user friendly. They thought of everything when they made it!

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Your guide will suggest to leave half of most folks stuff behind. 1 change of clothes. Really good warm breathable under wear. Good light Rain gear. Good boots. Headlamp, bug dope. Stocking cap for sleeping n cold mornings that slips into a pocket.
Id slip some energy bars in there. Hey best of luck man