Late season back country hunt

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
We are going to go with a tipi tent and a stove. Weather conditions will dictate how close to the truck we camp. I understand all the words of caution. Florida to Colorado is going to be an 8 to 11 thousands foot altitude difference. Even in top shape at sea level I won't be able to breath there.

I appreciate everyone's input. Except T_Double_Ya, your contribution sucked.

An example of the weather here... yesterday in Denver it hit 61, after being in the 20's at 5 am. Today it was -9 when I got to town for work, it never got above 15 all day.

Sounds like you are taking the right steps. I would definitely suggest as much backpacking and low risk winter camping as you can get under your belt before your trip. You will be able to hunt harder, and more effectively if you get the little details dialed in prior to heading out. Good luck, we are looking forward to camp pictures, and a couple of grip and grins. I edited my last post with a few additional layering notes you might want to look at.

Thanks for your pointless comment. No useful content, an opinion based off your imagination, and enjoying the discomfort of other people.

I think I've responded to this thread 4 or 5 times. Not a single one of those replies ignores or discounts the useful and valuable advice that has been given.

Contribute in a valuable manner and I will absolutely take your advice to heart... or you know... post something dumb... your call.
Sure man whatever you say; have fun! seems like you got it figured out! 🤩

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Give it a go. Carry a sat communicator and get a few nights of actual backpacking in before you go. You need to test gear and figure out what works or doesn't.

Just have a Plan B. I suggest not moving too far away from the truck in case things go south. You will be surprised how little distance you cover versus what you thought you could cover when the ground is snowpacked and you aren't acclimated to the altitude.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Give it a go. Carry a sat communicator and get a few nights of actual backpacking in before you go. You need to test gear and figure out what works or doesn't.

Just have a Plan B. I suggest not moving too far away from the truck in case things go south. You will be surprised how little distance you cover versus what you thought you could cover when the ground is snowpacked and you aren't acclimated to the altitude.
Yeah, that's another thing I've been thinking about. Moving and camping on 12 inches of snow is an additional layer of difficulty. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a nothing thing I've been thinking about. Moving and camping on 12 inches of snow is an additional layer of difficulty. Thanks for the input.
Re-learn it ever year. That first sub freezing night is cold, a damp cold here. I always hate night 1 every year.

By the time that first 0 roles around, or the first 15* high, snow and wind, I'm pumped.

Helps to acclimate, same as it does to acclimate to altitude.

Get out, baby step it, and have fun