Late season back country hunt

t_carlson

WKR
The area that we intend to start off at is only about a 1.5 mile easy hike away from our parking area. Worst case scenario, we could always just base out of a truck camp.
In that situation, I would not backpack hunt.

Just because you have a hammer does not mean you have to swing at every nail.

First off, sleep in a hot tent, while better than in a cold tent, is still sleeping on the ground. Food is also sub par compared to a truck camp. You can be MUCH more comfortable in a truck camp, which will allow you to hunt more effectively. I’d trade an easy 1.5 miles of walking for a better night’s sleep any day.

Second, the closer you camp to your hunting area, the more likely you are to disturb game. I view backpacking as a last resort. If you can’t hunt an area effectively from a truck camp, then it’s great. Other than that, it is definitely a drawback.

Granted, if you are just looking for adventure, then go for it.

woods89

WKR
And then the magic sauce. If you're only going for a few days to a week... just load up on BodyWarmers. You only need 2-3 of them per night - one at your feet, one around your torso, and maybe a third by your hips. Two packs of them is still way lighter than even the most minimal stove setup and you don't need to deal with fuel and stoking fires all night.
Or, the nalgene full of hot water in the foot of the sleeping bag works great as well. I tried it the first time last fall on a night in the mid 20s with an 18* bag. I had to open some zippers......

EdP

WKR
Follow the advice from Mtwarden and Solowilderness or you may not make it back alive.

Consider an outfitted hunt in the same conditions before trying it yourself. You will learn a lot about what you need to do and how the conditions affect you. It may be more expensive on the front end but you will come home and have all your fingers and toes.

Choupique

WKR
All I can say is that I did basically the same thing you're talking about and was woefully underprepared. Came out after only 1 night, HAPE, beginning symptoms of HACE and hypothermia. Pretty good chance I would have died during the 2nd night if I wouldn't have had my buddies to more or less drag me out.

Don't not go, but don't underestimate how hard it can be. Water is a real problem at those temps.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is that I did basically the same thing you're talking about and was woefully underprepared. Came out after only 1 night, HAPE, beginning symptoms of HACE and hypothermia. Pretty good chance I would have died during the 2nd night if I wouldn't have had my buddies to more or less drag me out.

Don't not go, but don't underestimate how hard it can be. Water is a real problem at those temps.
I sent you a PM

Sterl91

FNG
A trick to at least be able to sleep during the cold is to fill a bag with a couple liters of boiling water. Then put the bag at your feet in your sleeping bag. This will keep your feet warm for a couple hours and will help you fall asleep if you're not using a hot tent. Just be prepared to wake up in a few hours and do it all over again

dtrkyman

WKR
Camping sucks, winter camping is another level of suck! But that's my opinion many here do it. I truck/base camp in winter.

WyoKid

WKR
In addition to all of the comments born from experience that have already been made, let me add that driving light weight tent stakes into the frozen ground in below freezing temperatures is definitely a "no go". Listen and heed the comments of caution....back country in the winter will kill the inexperienced and ill-prepared. And, if you are going solo, the dangers are multiplied....think frost bite, injury, major storm or hypothermia, and you are screwed. I love to hunt but I also want to survive for my family and the next hunt. Late season, I truck camp and am still able to find game. Just my 2.5 cents.

Wingnutty

FNG
Coming from Florida with no backpacking experience and expecting to back county camp out here in rifle season at mid-high elevations???? Suicide dude, you won’t make it for 2 nights if temps drop into the low teens. No offense but that’s big boy stuff and you better know what you are doing or you might end up on the wrong side of living.

In that situation, I would not backpack hunt.

Just because you have a hammer does not mean you have to swing at every nail.

First off, sleep in a hot tent, while better than in a cold tent, is still sleeping on the ground. Food is also sub par compared to a truck camp. You can be MUCH more comfortable in a truck camp, which will allow you to hunt more effectively. I’d trade an easy 1.5 miles of walking for a better night’s sleep any day.

Second, the closer you camp to your hunting area, the more likely you are to disturb game. I view backpacking as a last resort. If you can’t hunt an area effectively from a truck camp, then it’s great. Other than that, it is definitely a drawback.

Granted, if you are just looking for adventure, then go for it.

This is wisdom. I watched a bunch of GoHunt backpack hunt films and really wanted to get into that. When I did my first elk hunt last fall it was a reality check on keeping up good health, being effective at hunting and mobility. We camped in a tent and used a SxS and was out all day and it was pretty effective logistically. At the end of the day there is kind of a magic number between those 3 factors and backpack hunting is usually not it. I recommend a camp that is comfortable and warm by a vehicle but can also be packed up in 45 min to drive to another location of necessary.

Jon Boy

WKR
Meh i feel like a lot of these comments are exaggerated. Send it for a night and if you get cold head back to the truck and have provisions there for a nice comfy camp. Im talking foam toppers, extra sleeping bags and good food that can be easily heated up. Yah late season back pack hunting sucks but if you have the mind set its great. Some people have it and some people don't. Worst case scenario it takes you 2 hours to hike out. Id rather camp close to game and risk the chance of spooking them (rarely happens ime) than hike 2 hours in a day. You aren't going to die or get frost bit as long at you are with in a few hours of easy navigation to the truck. But yes, it could totally suck and most likely will. All my elk have come by embracing that suck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Keep a hand warmer on the butt wipes. Nothing worse that needing to wipe with an ice sheet. Learned that the hard way once; RIP tops of socks.

Have a high R value pad, Comfort rated bag for the expected temperatures, a beanie, and some puffies (should have anyway for during the day) and you'll be ok. When it doubt, head back to the vehicle for the psychological boost.

Hell, a Jet Boil type device in the tent will warm things up a bit while boiling water for some coffee or tea.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Meh i feel like a lot of these comments are exaggerated. Send it for a night and if you get cold head back to the truck and have provisions there for a nice comfy camp. Im talking foam toppers, extra sleeping bags and good food that can be easily heated up. Yah late season back pack hunting sucks but if you have the mind set its great. Some people have it and some people don't. Worst case scenario it takes you 2 hours to hike out. Id rather camp close to game and risk the chance of spooking them (rarely happens ime) than hike 2 hours in a day. You aren't going to die or get frost bit as long at you are with in a few hours of easy navigation to the truck. But yes, it could totally suck and most likely will. All my elk have come by embracing that suck.

This is the kind of advice that ends up involving SAR.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All you guys are giving pretty solid advice on reconsidering a late season backpack hunt for OP’s experience level, but it doesn’t appear that he’s having any of it.

Now I just want to see the dude freeze his Jimmies off 🥶🥶

I moved west from FL in 2004. Hunted for five years before any success! Then learned to hunt public land. Then learned to backpack hunt. Considering my first late season backpack hunt this year. The learning curve between all these steps has been large! If you think you can do all of it in one chunk you will be disappointed greatly.

Hell,even if you had every piece of great gear and were physically in top shape and knew where the game is going to be - hiking at altitude is not something you can prepare for.
I would truck camp to enjoy better food, rest, dry feet. It will still be a great adventure but a lot easier/more comfortable and safer. Don't discount all the good advice here

I did mention clothes but in the same breath as bag and pad. I think I've got the layering figured out. A light weight synthetic top and bottom, a medium weight merino top and bottom, a fleece top, a light wind stopping top, a soft shell top and bottom, and a puffy top and bottom. All of it good quality, will mix and match as needed.
I would add an expedition weight top and bottom, fleece is pretty cozy, or the grid type, also a set of heavyweight loose fitting boot socks (Smartwool heavy hikers are great.) This is just for night time. Get out of your clammy cold stuff and into warm, dry sleeping clothes. Dry the stuff you sweated in all day out with the wood stove. Then stuff it in your bag when it's dry so it's warm in the AM. This also gives you an extra layer in case it gets really cold. I camp at 9-10k+ in mid-late October every year, and other than this years weird freakish hot spell, I have never regretted having extra layers.

I would rather pack an extra 2-3 lbs of warm clothes I only wear at night, or on a really nasty cold day, then try and save a few lbs skimping on layers. I have days where I have every stitch of clothing that I bring on, and can still get cold standing still. Extra heavy gloves or overmitts, other than the light gloves you hunt in are essential as well. I use the Kuiu northstar gloves all day, and have a set of thick down mittens for camp, also a set of merino liners, so if you are taking your mittens off, you still have some skin protection.

Another thing to mention is extra fat to eat before bed, coconut oil, butter or olive oil added to your nighttime warm drink is beneficial, the extra calories will help you sleep warmer.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
have a hard time someone who thinks 50 is getting cold dealing with solid frozen boots and pants every morning with no way to dry them or thaw them. I agree that the hot tent is not like sleeping in a wall tent with a cast iron stove (which in itself can be down right miserable in the right conditions). More so than the safety aspect of the heat it will be a mental boost in evenings and mornings. Also, think if a storm rolls in and you are stuck in your tent all night...then all day...then the next night. I'd much rather have the option of warmth than lay bundled up in my bag all day hoping to die.

Jon Boy

WKR
This is the kind of advice that ends up involving SAR.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Meh. I'm assuming if he sees highs in the single digits he won't be spiking out. If he spends the night and freezes his ass off he will be heading for the truck in the morning. I dont recommend testing the waters in deep or hard to navigate country. Hike up a forest service trail a few miles and set up camp. Spend the night and if you are absolutely miserable hike your sorry ass back to the truck and said established trail.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
All you guys are giving pretty solid advice on reconsidering a late season backpack hunt for OP’s experience level, but it doesn’t appear that he’s having any of it.

Now I just want to see the dude freeze his Jimmies off 🥶🥶
Thanks for your pointless comment. No useful content, an opinion based off your imagination, and enjoying the discomfort of other people.

I think I've responded to this thread 4 or 5 times. Not a single one of those replies ignores or discounts the useful and valuable advice that has been given.

Contribute in a valuable manner and I will absolutely take your advice to heart... or you know... post something dumb... your call.