Epic Bars

Lucky's Market just opened in Louisville, KY and they carry something called Epic Bars. They are basically a modern pemmican. At $2.50 a peice they are expensive but tasty. I went fishing/shooting today and packed the bison cranberry walnut bar, I really liked it. I also bought the beef/cherry/habanero. Anyone else had these?

Rowdy

FNG
I've tried all four flavors of the Epic bars and while they weren't all that I'd hoped for they were pretty decent with bison being my favorite. I'll pick up more for this years hunts and also some of the Omnibars which are basically a meat based "power bar" also. I thought the Omnibars taste pretty similar to flavored cardboard but their calorie to weight is decent enough to sustain life. Sugar and oats type "power bars" aren't an option for me anymore. I'd sat the Epic bars were far from epic but pretty decent.

LostArra

WKR
>>I'd say the Epic bars were far from epic but pretty decent.<<

Exactly my thoughts.

One of my adult daughters has celiac disease and she frequently takes these when she is working in the field.
So being GF may change the opinion for some folks.

Rowdy

FNG
Well it's not so much of a gluten intolerance for me as it is a man needing meat and salt when he's hungry, sugar and oats are for cereal and little kids. When I'm hungry I want something other than sugar. I pretty much gave up on store bought power bars and have pretty much made my own the last 3-4 years & while they are heavier than store bought I've found they are a whole lot better.

Browtine

WKR
I pretty much gave up on store bought power bars and have pretty much made my own the last 3-4 years & while they are heavier than store bought I've found they are a whole lot better.

You got a recipe you could share Rowdy?

OP
Warren1726
So I had the Lamb, Bison and Beef. I thought the Lamb and Bison were good the Beef was edible. I like the flavor of the Lamb and bison as much as a cliff bar. Obvious advantage is meat protein vs mostly soy protein.

Poser

WKR
Pemmican is very simple to make using your venison cache. You will need some beef suet which you should be able to obtain from a butcher shop.

Thanks for the reviews. Looks like I'll stick with my Pro Bars. They are crazy good, all natural, and mostly raw. Fav is the Superfood slam.