16B NM Archery Hunt

Mike76

FNG
Well, My Friends those who helped out in a great many ways prior to the Archery Hunt in 16B.
I said I would spend the time and let the site know how our hunt went.
First, I will say this before my story of the hunt goes.
PLEASE! when you hire an Outfitter/Guide or just a wrangler that will take you in and do a drop and haul out that YOU ask the many questions that we thought we had before you Book.
We went in with supposedly one of the best outfitters within 16B Miss Becky Cambell who supposedly retired last fall. Well, I took he out of retirement by paying for her outfitters license of 500.00 to get her to take a trip in and do a drop. The many times I spoke with Becky and each and every time was questions, I thought I needed to know with the most important place for the drop. And what we thought all the particulars.
Well hell we don't have horses so that question never came up about horses and they are outfitters who know horses.
Before I go into this story, please ask the questions not only about the hunting and where you're going but about them their horses their hands that are helping on the trip in and after you get there. Remember you're the paying client they are working for you.
Our trip was the worst hunting trip I have ever been on.
To start we got there 3 days before the hunt start and stayed at one of the cabins they rent out for clients and people who show up just for the Gilla cliff dwelling excursions. We met Beck prior to getting settled into the cabin and dropped he off fresh Spring Chinook Salmon that I had caught prior to the hunt.
The son asked me if I thought she was kind put offish and I answered she did but possibly just her demeaner. Anyway, we got to the cabin and Her sister Isabell showed up as we were getting everything ready for the horses and mules the next morning for the trip in.
First mistake Never pay the full amount of that trip until the trip out. half down and the rest is BS until the trip is over many told me just that but with the trust, I had we paid Isabell when she came to the cabin for payment.
The next day we met at woodies corral for loading. everything was in duffle bags and remember we were doing a drop, so it was on us to have the equipment needed for 14 days or a few days longer with a couple days before and possibly a day after.
First thing stuff laid out for packing and her; Becky was like started off angry because we had 30 gallons of water in five gallons containers set out our duffle bags with what we needed for the time in. There were 3 others there going in for just the ride and back out with her and all their stuff and was commented they had as much as we for 1 day. Anyway!
The trip got started after her saying that chair cannot go this can't go and has to be re organized and we were Complient with what she was saying as she has been doing this for decades. She kept saying her women friends when they go for overnights have just a little saddle bag and good to go and I have a small bad when I'm guiding and that's it.
Finally, enough: I jumped up said Becky god damn it we paid for this trip and have everything you said to do prior to be ready for this damn trip and all you can talk about is what women do and we are men and we are going to be in for a minimum of 14 days and the stuff we have is what we think we need and it will go in.
So, we finally head 3/4 of the way in my horse falls and drags his neck on the ground and throws me off and I come down on my head. The lady behind me starts yelling and in a Panick the son said who was in front of me. Rider, rider, down hurry, hurry, rider down the son said.
The son comes over said do not move stay down. he a RNFA nurse Ortho for 30 yrs retired.
Becky comes up not how are you, you ok but you guys are too heavy for my horses, as they were tripping for miles and the ppl were complaining and hell, we thought it was part of it as were not horsemen. Finally, after a period of time and Becky just keep saying you guys are too heavy for these horses. she finally asks Mike the son how much do you two weigh Mike say I'm about 230 Dad is 235-240ish then she speaks up and says I have sandwiches we might as well eat lunch then ride the rest of the way in.
Out of respect Mike says are we supposed to get a sandwich Becky speaks up say No they are just for my Guests.
You should have seen the look on those 3 ppl faces, and all started asking us if we wanted some things they had brought. Myself I didn't want anything but water and get my composer back. Mike said later I didn't know if we were supposed to eat a lunch, she might have made for everyone just for the respect.
Finally, we ride into camp, and she sets up right in the middle of Prior Creek which is exactly where we were not supposed to be. The agreement was to drop us off on the Chicken Coop trail and we would hunt out from there. NOT!
Becky when we got to the Cabin, she said do You want to drop here I said no off-chicken coop like planned. Harshly NO I'M Not riding 2 more miles. I'll take u up Prior creek aways and drop you there.
Question is their water close to Prior? about 3 miles. I said if there is any elk using Prior, we are sitting on it and like I mentioned to you before I don't want to be where ppl hikers walking the trails through prior creek, and we have a camp there.
Nothing said and she stops and says I'll drop you here and that it. We drop everything and I'm still not all there and stumbling around and Mike says sit down and relax. They ride off and set up a tarp to spend the night then ride out the next day.
Next morning and a day before the opening they ride in about 10:am said up the trail that way is Lilly dn that way is chicken coop. which I knew from all the studying I had done. they ride off.
That night I have a severe headache. I'm dumping Tylenol told mike I'm not thinking right. The night ends and Mike heads out about 3am to get where we planned to start the hunt. That nite he comes in he said I walked and hunted for miles on end and never seen a thing till heading back that evening and ran into 7 bulls together 3 spikes a 3x4 a 5x5 a small rag 6x that was it all day. For the next 3 days not an animal no sign no rubs no water just nothing. The next Morning he left even earlier and seen 2 spikes and a small 6 together and said he thought it was the ones he had seen the opening.
He ran into 2 young guys who had walked 10 miles in there and never seen a thing and was asking who was going to haul our elk if we got one? Mike said we have a packer, and they were going to head back closer to the truck the next morning.
Mike was close to clear creek and ran into a couple outfitters who were looking for sign for their party as they were not seeing anything North of Clear creek towards the Jerky as the elk moved toward the river and its rugged.
The next day Becky showed up as we called, I had to get out of there after 7 days I was done. I sat in camp from we hours of the morning till late at Nite and was disoriented most of the time.
We got home seen the DR next morning and was worried of a slight head bleed so they did a CT scan and no bleed but thought I might have had a slight concussion and ordered an MRI which I will have this week to check above and below my cervical spine fusions I have had a year ago September and thank God the Hardware was intact. But I'm still having those damn head aches and can't move my head up or down. so, we will see.
Well! My friends this was our story and not such a great hunt like expected but the time was put in the miles were walked by Mike There just was not the animals in there. My time was a Bust and never seen much accept the prior creek and surroundings around camp. I thank those who wrote back and gave some good information and things to look for and be ready for.
The One thing is please if you're looking for an outfitter ask the questions and make them stick to what they say they will or will not do. have it in writing. Remember your paying them to do the best they can for you on the trip.
I have heard many good things about Miss Becky Cambell, but I would never have her guide me anywhere I don't care how well she knows the 16B or what others think my opinion only. Thanks Guys and good hunting.