ElkNut App - Bad Timing!

Paul, I to was chasing elk when all this happened so if there was something on the front page I missed then that's my fault as I was using my I phone so I just clicked buy to get it working again and get back out there. I appreciate the offer and don't be upset as none of this was in your control, I'd be happier to see you buy your son some new reeds with the money than send it back to me.

WAKAN

FNG
Get back out there and hunt!!! Your stuff has made me learn to stop and interpret what an elk is saying and try to respond appropriately. I have always thought your app was too cheap for the volume of learning available on it. Will gladly pay the yearly fee.

CoStick

WKR
Paul is what is good about the hunting realm. He is not a social media hoe. We are talking $15. He gives away amazing info for free as well. Seriously, take a step back. He doesn’t shoot deer from a truck. He isn’t asking for money because of “scam” he is being honest with you. It is a rarity. Enjoy the knowledge…

Rob5589

WKR
Paul has responded and we have no reason not to believe him. It's pretty sad that people can instantly turn on a guy like him, over 15 bucks. This from a group that routinely recommends upper end gear and has no qualms dropping thousands of dollars on it.

I get it, bad timing. But shit happens all the time. You can't really expect him and his team to put out new/quality content forever for a single 10 dollar charge.

In my discussion with Tayler over pretty much the same issues you experienced he definitely said dealing with the App Store has been a big issue with this. Not an excuse really but just what they unexpectedly had to deal with and what Paul alluded to happening as well.

Hi guys—I’m not a Well Known Rokslider but I have had the privilege of working with [mention]ElkNut1 [/mention] on the ElkNut app for the past five years. Talk about a front row seat to elk calling at its highest level. One of the coolest things I’ve been able to do!

Paul has spelled out the process with the ElkNut app update well. Most of what has happened in the update process in terms of timing and App Store approval was outside of his control, and he’s relying on my team at Got Game Tech to tell him how it’s going and what the hurdles/hang ups are etc.

We had high hopes of releasing the updated app well before the season, and chose our course of action with the subscription conversion based in large part on that timing. We also had the misconception that most customers used the app like we do, which is as an off season learning tool that is a great resource to learn and refresh, but once the season starts “hay’s gotta be in the barn” so to speak in knowing what to do when chasing real bugles. We’ve since learned that many app users rely heavily on the app during the season and may not use it much the rest of the year.

Fast forward to August 1, and the updated app still isn’t ready. We released a web-based version that allows users to access content on their PC, which is an awesome feature, but no substitute for the mobile version with offline use enabled. (Quick side note: My app development team is comprised of a video guy and one programmer. I wish we had a big team and could crank out projects in a matter of days, but we’re just not there yet. And these guys have day jobs outside of Got Game Tech and the ElkNut app and families.)

As each day in August ticked by, I kept hearing that we were close and just a few more things needed to be done, but the App Store had changed a lot since our last major update to the app, and it just took longer than everybody thought. Season opened and still no update ready. Finally on September 9 we got approval. Paul and I discussed the timing of the release, and decided we needed to get the new content out to app users. We’d been getting many calls and emails begging for the new content. And we’d been living in “app update world” for so long, that I think the customer reaction to a subscription conversion was just not at the forefront of our minds—we were instead just so ready to get the app finished and out there for customers that we released it the next day.

That’s basically when the firestorm that has been the last two weeks started. 100% first world problems, but it’s been a challenging time. Paul and I have sent literally thousands of emails and taken hundreds of calls, texts and DMs. We have learned a ton about our app customers that we didn’t know, and we have also learned that we were not completely on the same page about the app update like we thought we were. We have also been able to connect with many, many app users on a positive level, and we’re thankful for that too. But in all of this, the most painful thing for me has been to see Paul take so much heat that isn’t deserved.

To make matters worse, the App Store approved the app but didn’t let us know that at the same time they had disapproved the subscription button, and it took us four days to figure it out and get this fixed. (We had a workaround in the meantime but it was not easy to implement.) And then this was compounded by a bug in the offline use module, which in turn took a few more days to resolve. It was an error in how the data was cached and refreshed each time the app was opened. Fortunately that has been fixed as well.

Now we are in the process of trying to take care of each and every app user and help everyone understand this isn’t some big money ploy or bait and switch. It’s definitely a case study in how not to release an app update though, and we’re doing our very best to rebuild trust and make amends with app users. And I’d like to personally vouch for Paul that this is not his fault. He’s involved in the major decisions we make, but the day to day app development is done by my team, and a lot of the bumps in the road here fall in that latter realm.

I hope this helps add some understanding. Like Paul, if you have questions further, my phone is always on, and I respond to all emails that come in. 208-993-9183, [email protected], or on IG @huntfitesquire.

Now I hope you guys have big plans to chase some more elk this next week. I haven’t been able to get out much yet this year for the above reasons, but next week is looking like it might be the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
The new app is great. Seems like a small price to pay for the content included. Tayler helped me promptly get back on for another year since I had just paid for the old app. Change doesn’t always go smoothly. Keep up the good work.

Hell i had no knowledge of this app or plans on ever buying it. But after seeing this guy own up, apologize, and end his hunt early to try and make the issue right, I'll gladly be his next new customer.

My Elk calling blows. The way Elk nuts took ownership of a bad situation made me look into the app and subscribe also. Next year I hope it helps me get them bulls in those last few yards I needed this year. Good on you Elk Nuts

WAB

FNG
Paul - greatly appreciate you taking ownership and your efforts to address concerns. You have given an incredible amount of free and low cost information to the elk hunting community, and thousands of us are grateful for that!

The new app is outstanding and worth every penny.

Please get out there and go hunting!

N.ID7803

WKR
The app is great Paul. The only thing wrong with it is you are not out there to give us hunt updates, thought that was pretty cool. Ignore the nay-sayers and get out there and hunt! Thanks for all the great info!

First purchase was what 5.99 or something like that? I literally gained more value than that in the first 5 minutes I had the app and I'm not the brightest.

At full price Paul is asking you pay the prices of about 4 gallons of gas! Or 2 elk reeds, or 1 arrow, so on an so forth. Awesome guy, awesome app, still underpriced at 14.99/year! I'll be renewing when the android version drops.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
The link in the new app to click "here" for purchases within the last 90 days is not working. gotgametech.com seems to be down. Purchased app about 3 weeks ago, downloaded content and was unable to open last week while hunting all of last week in Montana. Email sent.

The link in the new app to click "here" for purchases within the last 90 days is not working. gotgametech.com seems to be down. Purchased app about 3 weeks ago, downloaded content and was unable to open last week while hunting all of last week in Montana. Email sent.

The gotgametech.com server went down last night, but it is up and running today. Try that form again this morning, and if you have any trouble, send an email to [email protected]. He’ll get you squared away this week, as I am about an hour from heading out of service into the Elk woods.

The off-line use bug has also been fixed. Should be good to go!

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant put a price on a great elk education. Hope you make lots and lots of money doing what you love to do. Never understood why so many get their pussies hurt when someone loves what they do and makes a little money doing it.......

Last edited:
We took 2 younger kids out this year. (24 & 25). I smiled when they told me how many YouTube videos they watched of elk hunting, 1 of them said he didn't learn anything until he found that Elknut guy. I had to agree with him. Go hunting Paul
Thanks for your help

Pansies whining about a $15 app while wearing $200 pants, eating $15/each Peak Refuel meals, and carrying around 2k rifles and bows. STFU

Great product Paul, ignore the whiners.

Can someone meme this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cnelk

WKR
I read thru all the replies and only saw one, maybe two negative reviews.

That’s nuthin. I’d you can’t handle that, go get your big boy pants on.

NDGuy

WKR
I read thru all the replies and only saw one, maybe two negative reviews.

That’s nuthin. I’d you can’t handle that, go get your big boy pants on.
There was a thread posted a week ago whining about it too that prompted Paul to feel the need to address it.