Elk unit 66 or 39 Colorado

I have hunted 39 for the past 25 years. It used to be pretty good unit for both deer and elk, not so much any more. I was talking to a lady last fall who, unbeknownst to me recognized my truck over the years about the situation. She has lived there her whole life and she said we used to see elk all of the time but hardly ever now. I hunted the entire first season last year and saw exactly one cow elk, of course I had a bull tag. Maybe that's why I rarely ever see another hunter. Most of my friends have moved on to other units I remain because I can get out for a while after work so it's handy. There are definitely better options.

Scoot

WKR
I can see being quiet about areas that can be hunted every year. But areas where you can hunt once every 5 yr or so I see no reason why not sharing info. That being said I will do it on a PM.
I'd give my left nut if I could still hunt my favorite place in WY every five years. That's what it was when I started in 2007. Now it's double digits. If folks don't think that chatter on the forums impacts this, they simply don't get it. No doubt there are other factors, but the internet impacts creep. If you need empirical evidence to support that claim, I can't help you. It's absolutely true though...

Tracker, not picking on you here- just commenting on the idea that forums don't impact creep.

Agree with @Scoot. It's especially funny considering this thread is partly about unit 66. Has anybody watched 66 archery's point creep? It's creeping nearly a point a year for nonresidents! I'm sure the nonres guys applying now wish it was still drawable every 5 years; last year it took 9 to be guaranteed. But it's one of the most commonly mentioned hunts on every forum I frequent, so it's not stopping anytime soon.

tracker12

WKR
Unfortunately most are experiencing a point a year creep. When I first started putting in for Unit 2 elk ig took 4 NR points. I finally drew after 21 years. I had to return a 66 3rd deer 4 years ago due to an injury. Lost my $$ but kept my points less the one for that year. That set me back and I have not been able to draw that tag since and doubt I will this year. Chatter on the net absolutely influences where guys put in. I found a new NM unit this year based of forum information. Is that a bad thing? Guess its how you look at it. For me I excited about finding a Unit that has a better chance at drawing and terrain that works for me at my age.

Personally I think all the tag companies contribute the most.

Last edited:

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I know the original OP was had to do with 66 Elk, just imagine trying to draw a 2nd or 3rd season deer tag in that unit as a NR. It's just ridiculous. Don't know about this year yet, but I'm guessing 18 or 19 points.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Forums, Facebook, huntin fool And other social media sites have caused plenty of point creep. Hell, this post has 2k views, that not even including the views from the same exact post the OP made on another forum. But won’t even post his scouted unit on the public forum, just send a PM.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I know the original OP was had to do with 66 Elk, just imagine trying to draw a 2nd or 3rd season deer tag in that unit as a NR. It's just ridiculous. Don't know about this year yet, but I'm guessing 18 or 19 points.
Doubt it will take any where near that for 2nd, probably more like 11 or 12. It took 23 for 3rd season last year and probably stay the same.

Last edited:
I’ve sheep hunted in 39, there is nothing flat, and nothing low! You better be in shape as it defines steep! Oh, and the wind doesn’t get any worse than that unit. Talk about all over, forget the term thermals, unless it’s dead calm, you won’t have them.

That's not even remotely accurate for NR 2nd season deer in 66.

bozeman

WKR
Both units are slam packed with Elk.....big one's at that.....6x6's walking around on the sides of the roads.....never seen anything like it in CO. Can't wait to go back!!!!

Jbehredt

WKR
Both units are slam packed with Elk.....big one's at that.....6x6's walking around on the sides of the roads.....never seen anything like it in CO. Can't wait to go back!!!!

It really is the closest thing CO has to offer to a Montana elk tag. God’s country up there ;)

bozeman, there are a lot of elk in 39 and unfortunately there is a lot of private land on which they reside once the first arrows are released and front stuffers expolde... then find them on public a whole different story. Not impossible but darn hard!

Wife pulled a Unit 39 Muley tag for 3rd rifle. I had actually seen posts on another forum about it being an okay unit. Most posts on this thread are saying its terrible. This will be her first hunt so hopefully we can find a good buck.

Also worried it may be rough hunt for her first being November in that terrain. Hoping it doesnt ruin the first experience lol

Wife pulled a Unit 39 Muley tag for 3rd rifle. I had actually seen posts on another forum about it being an okay unit. Most posts on this thread are saying its terrible. This will be her first hunt so hopefully we can find a good buck.

Also worried it may be rough hunt for her first being November in that terrain. Hoping it doesnt ruin the first experience lol
Scout as much as possible and get a good lay of the land. Trying to figure out the land while the hunt is going on will not be a great experience for her.