Elk Hunting in NM

clayss90

FNG
Hello So I drew my first ever tag for ELK ES in NM for the 1st archery hunt. The unit I am in has a crap ton of trails and roads any advice for finding quiet places in units like that. I am completely new to this and really dont want to waste this oppurtunity. i am nervous because all he areas i scouted didnt have any live elk just signs they passed through though the beef covered foot prints. I have zero people that can really mentor me this year physically. any helpful advice on finding areas that would have less traffic.

NMonit

FNG
Post the unit and some of us might be able to offer advice. Without knowing the month/location, you'll just receive general info you can get from googling "how to find elk in "x" month. I'm guessing the Sept 1-14 hunt? I just came back from scouting some northern units and might be able to offer some advice depending on where.

Felix40

WKR
People in NM are generally super lazy. A unit with more roads will make them even more lazy. You shouldn’t have to go far from the road to find spot that aren’t getting pressure. Hike over one big ridge or to the bottom of a big canyon and most people won’t want to do that. Don’t hike on trails.

It’s not like CO where you are going to have dudes set up camp 20 yards away when you’re 7 miles deep.

Gapmaster

WKR
since i am new i cant really discuss unit specifics but its around cuba area
I’ve hunted North of Cuba years ago, not sure on your unit, but there’s elk in all those units. It can be tough due to the road access and the poachers were an issue then. It’s not always how far off the road you are as it is where you are. I know that doesn’t help a newbie much, but it is what it is. Definitely find the darker, thicker cover on North faces. Cruise until you find them. Use the roads to your advantage, most people are lazy, find the nasty places you really don’t want to go and go there anyways. Water probably not an issue this year so I’d probably do some late night riding and listening also.

NMonit

FNG
Hah, funny. I'm new as well and can't PM you. Edited (deleted) my original comment as I couldn't edit it, and instead reposted it with corrections. I just came back from (edit: your unit) and might be able to share some Intel depending on what area you have targeted.

I can tell you that it's a dry year, and I think the rut might kick off later than usual, so you'll need to be ready to put in miles and stalk, especially so if solo DIY. Also, the wildfires might impact your plans. There's 2 still active, maybe 3.

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
People in NM are generally super lazy. A unit with more roads will make them even more lazy. You shouldn’t have to go far from the road to find spot that aren’t getting pressure. Hike over one big ridge or to the bottom of a big canyon and most people won’t want to do that. Don’t hike on trails.

It’s not like CO where you are going to have dudes set up camp 20 yards away when you’re 7 miles deep.
Interesting take lol. That’s what I was think especially into the San Pedro wilderness area

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
Hah, funny. I'm new as well and can't PM you. Edited (deleted) my original comment as I couldn't edit it, and instead reposted it with corrections. I just came back from (edit: your unit) and might be able to share some Intel depending on what area you have targeted.

I can tell you that it's a dry year, and I think the rut might kick off later than usual, so you'll need to be ready to put in miles and stalk, especially so if solo DIY. Also, the wildfires might impact your plans. There's 2 still active, maybe 3.
There’s two that I have scene on inciweb

I suck at calling, so thats beneficial maybe for me, i can do cow calls but dont ask me to bugle unless you want to laugh. I mostly soloing my wife is hiking with me some days but not every.

NMonit

FNG

That's some pretty hard stereotyping... As a resident, but non-native New Mexican I can see it. A big ATV/Truck hunting culture out here. Which is fantastic for those of seeking backpacking or deep gnarly day hikes.

But also to be fair, Texans are even worse when it comes to lazy entitled hunters... I think it can be said for many of the wealthy guided mid-west/east coast vacation hunters.

NMonit

FNG
There’s two that I have scene on inciweb

I suck at calling, so thats beneficial maybe for me, i can do cow calls but dont ask me to bugle unless you want to laugh. I mostly soloing my wife is hiking with me some days but not every.
What's your fitness level? Are you planning to pack into the area, or day hike from a base camp (tenting?). Does the wife have hunting experience to do be the caller? I'm in a similar experience boat, but I wouldn't risk tagging along people who might bust your hunt unless you're just in it for a good time/experience (i.e. me last year in the same unit, same area you seem to be eyeing).

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
What's your fitness level? Are you planning to pack into the area, or day hike from a base camp (tenting?). Does the wife have hunting experience to do be the caller? I'm in a similar experience boat, but I wouldn't risk tagging along people who might bust your hunt unless you're just in it for a good time/experience (i.e. me last year in the same unit, same area you seem to be eyeing).
i would say moderate to low im not in the greatest of shape. and non as well this is our first time she wants do muzzleloader or rifle next year.

NMonit

FNG
i would say moderate to low im not in the greatest of shape. and non as well this is our first time she wants do muzzleloader or rifle next year.
I would happily trade your tag for my muzzle, but alas 😁. OK, I ask that because I'm thinking of areas that might work for you guys. It sounds like the wilderness is not it (a lot of hiking at elevation up and down in the better areas from your camp site). Are you doing the full 14 days, and are you tenting it out, or RV'ing? The first week is going to be tough, but the latter should get moving. You should be out for the full 14 if you want an elk.

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
i forgot mention i plan to move around a base camp then hike from where i go. im out of camper with a side by side. i plan on staying out for the full time. i am not thinking full into the wildnerness area just the outside south of the fire.

NMonit

FNG
i forgot mention i plan to move around a base camp then hike from where i go. im out of camper with a side by side. i plan on staying out for the full time. i am not thinking full into the wildnerness area just the outside south of the fire.
Without recording all useful information on to these public interwebs (since we can't private message). Look at taking FR91 up to its end. Those, along with any ATV roads are going to be popular come hunt time, but it's a rough one. If the weather doesn't change to bring in wallows and sources of drinking water, seek out historical creeks and primary channels. A lot of springs have dried up that were running same time last year.

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
Without recording all useful information on to these public interwebs (since we can't private message). Look at taking FR91 up to its end. Those, along with any ATV roads are going to be popular come hunt time, but it's a rough one. If the weather doesn't change to bring in wallows and sources of drinking water, seek out historical creeks and primary channels. A lot of springs have dried up that were running same time last year.
yeah i was hoping the monsoons would bring in some much needed moisture. but i think i know the area your talking about close to fire closure or the old 2014 fire scar

OP
C

clayss90

FNG
Nvm Just checked the map lol i know excatly where you mean now yeah i saw lots of elk scat in that area just to the north of that