Elk shank chili

woods89

WKR
I think I've posted about this before, but we had some of this last weekend, and I thought I'd mention it here.

I took one elk shank, cut it into 3 pieces with a hacksaw, browned the pieces, and then braised it overnight in a crock pot. I put a bunch of chili type of stuff in my braising liquid, sliced jalapenos, some onion, tomato sauce, etc. Next morning I pulled the chunks out of the crockpot, shredded the meat off them, returned it to the crockpot, added beans, and gave the whole mixture 3-4 hours on low. We ate it with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips. It was fantastic.

I have come to greatly prefer this to ground meat in chili. The braising liquid also takes on all the good stuff out of the bones, so the sauce is very rich and filling.

I've done it with 2 whitetail shanks as well. It's a terrific winter meal.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds really good.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
I think I've posted about this before, but we had some of this last weekend, and I thought I'd mention it here.

I took one elk shank, cut it into 3 pieces with a hacksaw, browned the pieces, and then braised it overnight in a crock pot. I put a bunch of chili type of stuff in my braising liquid, sliced jalapenos, some onion, tomato sauce, etc. Next morning I pulled the chunks out of the crockpot, shredded the meat off them, returned it to the crockpot, added beans, and gave the whole mixture 3-4 hours on low. We ate it with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips. It was fantastic.

I have come to greatly prefer this to ground meat in chili. The braising liquid also takes on all the good stuff out of the bones, so the sauce is very rich and filling.

I've done it with 2 whitetail shanks as well. It's a terrific winter meal.
I agree. Shank is great cut of meat for low and slow recipes like chili, pulled shank sandwiches, or burgundy. I also use the brisket the same way.