Elk Reeds; How Many

How many reeds do y'all take with? I'd sure hate to blow a reed out so I take 3 or 4 capable reeds. After much thought and practice, my Carlton's Triple (the brown one) gets the nod for my "go to" reed ;)

Last edited:

Dakhunter

FNG
I take 3 reeds and 1 external. Still trying to find a favorite. May even bring the hoochie mama.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
one wayne carlton super blue.

probly should take more but I am to lazy to carry more then I need .

besides elk are pretty dumb and with practice one can call them in with out a reed.

once called in a lil raghorn bull by simply blowing into an empty brass casing

Just tried a 2.5 Carlton . Great sound. Guy let me ask you . In my opinion the reeds without the top flap or dome just seem easier for me and sound great . I'm big into turkey hunting so maybe that is the reason . What is your opinion ?

ElkNut1

WKR
I love the pallet plate/dome tops over all others! I like the Phelps Gray Amp best for an All Purpose Reed, it gives all Bull & Cow sounds without swapping reeds out in crunch time!

I have 4-5 reeds for Sept. Usually only 2 with me at a time, one is for backup as I will blow one out & need the next one. I will use 4-5 reeds in Sept alone. I call a lot! (grin) If you're not calling in Sept you might as well hunt Nov & Dec instead, Sept is special, it's accepting the challenge of calling elk in the Rut! Gotta love it, can't wait!!!!

ElkNut/Paul

hobbes

WKR
Diaphragm calls don't weigh anything and are easy to store just about anywhere. I've got them scattered in multiple pockets in my pack. Many of them aren't my favorite, but instead calls that didn't work out that well for me, but they'd do in a pinch. I'll typically have at least one backup of my current favorite.

It's been a few years, but I had two or three reeds all stored in one small pouch in my front pants pocket. I lost them on my way up the mountain busting through brush in the dark. I'm convinced that it cost me a cow that I could not get stopped at the right point or turned for one last look with my natural voice.

That won't happen again.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use Carlton's 2.5 and Brown Triple and will carry two of each in my pouch and extras in my pack, with plenty more in the truck or at home. That tight latex will stretch pretty quickly when I get going.

I'm the same way . I carry a bunch of them. Been playing with that Primos Cash Cow all in one . Really not a fan of there stuff exempt for his bow sling and owl hooter. But the wider crown or the frame on this call sounds pretty good. Its not a replacement for the Carltons, Phelps or Rockies by any means . But super easy to use .

I think reeds are like flies, some I'm just more confident with, even though the elk might not care. I'd carry two of the ones I like, and 2 or 3 different models.

I would take one or two styles that you are comfortable with and know that you will be able to make the tone that you want. Depending on how long you are going to be out, I'd bring at least one extra. If you need more than that in a trip then you are probably calling to much.