Elk Question

25 minute mark
I had a hunch this was the podcast your were talking about and I haven’t even listened to that episode yet. No doubt he’s killed a lot of big elk and witnessed more. In my opinion he way over exaggerates the distances bullets need to travel to get through muscle, through guts, and into vitals. (Hence the monos bandwagon) I’m going to agree 4-5” tops.

I agree with others in the thinking that this must be another 1000#+ Bull elk that so many guys are putting on the ground. I have no arguments about bullets. I use an arrow for over half of my elk hunting pleasures.

Maybe a Rosie on Afognak. Those are a different beast. But yeah its easy sometimes to overstate the truth a little when youre using "facts" to make your point based off personal bias.

Maybe he likes Match Burners too, but I'm guessing not.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 88
I guess if you shot through the flat muscle on the blade lengthwise you could get 8"+ of distance. But as for general thickness......no, not on a front.

I was just listening to a podcast were the host described a quartering towards shot where you have to penetrate 8” to 12” of muscle before entering the chest cavity. Can anyone put logic to this? Best I can come up with is 5” tops?? Maybe he’s killing different elk then me.
I would (have) just reach out to him and ask. He is really good at responding to emails and questions.

I would (have) just reach out to him and ask. He is really good at responding to emails and questions.
He made the same statement a couple years ago. I reached out, nothing. When he said it again I posted it here to see if I was missing something. But I am going to reach back out to him and see if I can get him on a podcast.

Last edited:
He made the same statement a couple years ago. I reached out, nothing. When he said it again I posted it here to see if I was missing something. But I am going to reach back out to him and see if I can get him on a podcast.
I would love if you guys could get him on a podcast but I don’t think it will do much good as he seems pretty set in his ways. He had a guy from gunwerks come on his podcast to talk about match bullets for hunting. Even after the guy told him he had killed or seen killed 100s of animals with match bullets ole jvb still had trouble believing that an eldm could possibly take down an elk. Then like 3 episodes later he made a podcast about elk cartridges and how he believes bull elk to be almost invincible.

Gun writer.... enough said. At first I was guessing Spomer, but it was JVB. At least it wasn't the Backfire dude off of YT who compares cartridges by caliber but uses different bullet weights and factory loads to disguise his biases.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB
I'm going to guess he will probably be busy when you ask him to come on lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Playing devils advocate here, maybe this is where they are thinking from?

Say you have a slab of meat 2" thick, if you come at from 45 degrees, your arrow has to go through 2.8" of meat to pass through.

2 inch thick, 60 degrees, 4 inches

4 inches thick, 60 degrees, 8 inches

Edit: ya know.. trigonometry

Last edited:
I’ve killed a couple of elk with what I call the Collar shot…hard quartering to….archery, but there is a soft spot there With easy access to the vitals.

I was shooting a 500g arrow w/2 blade in a 65/70# compound on under 25y shots and the bull had no idea I was there. That shot hugs the spine and goes in through the opening in the skeleton hitting no bones.

Its only controversial if you don’t know elk anatomy.

I only shoot it under certain criteria, namely If I can pinpoint the (appx) 4”w by 7”t slot. I would’t shoot that on longer shots, or on very alerted animals…or with a big forward opening mech head as you are going through angled hide with that long dark mane.

Its deadly…an easy route to the chest cavity if in the right spot. And the couple I’ve taken plus another few I’ve seen were either complete pass thrus or the arrow was completely buried inside the bull with a short recovery.

I’ve seen guys try to sneak one in behind the shoulder on those quartering shots…and shot one like that myself decades ago….bad idea. You maybe catch one lung at best mostly guts and its 50/50 at best on finding them.

Last edited:
Back