Elk Outfitters

Bangstick

FNG
Looking for any feedback on reputable Elk outfitters. I have hunted in NM, CO, and Utah for Elk and every outfitter promises the world and then you show up and are lucky to see any Elk at all. Appreciate any feedback on a good Elk outfitter, preferably in an OTC state.
The OTC days are gone and if an outfitter promises you the world, hang up.

Feel free to call them.... I have which is why I am applying in multiple states to specific units every year to avoid the areas where pressure kills opportunity
I don't need to call them, all the relevant information is posted on their website. Statewide stats mean exactly jack, who hunts statewide? Governors tag? We get a tag to hunt one unit or zone and anyone who hunts an area with 5% success gets exactly what they asked for.

Obviously there's draw tags for better quality and/or success and most of us also apply for those, but if you want to hunt every year you better learn to hunt pressured elk or be ready to fork over significant money that not everyone has. We don't have a lot of money so we hunt OTC pressured elk every year and our success rates are well in excess of 50%. Of the dozen or so elk tags that we've drawn our success rate is 100%. The draw tag DIY kills wouldn't have been 100% without the knowledge gained hunting OTC for decades considering the fact that an outfitter is not in the budget.

Bangstick

FNG
Looking for any feedback on reputable Elk outfitters. I have hunted in NM, CO, and Utah for Elk and every outfitter promises the world and then you show up and are lucky to see any Elk at all. Appreciate any feedback on a good Elk outfitter, preferably in an OTC state.
The OTC days are gone and if an outfitter promises you the world, hang up.
The OTC days are gone and if a outfitter promises you the world, hang up

OP
G

GatorMike

FNG
I don't need to call them, all the relevant information is posted on their website. Statewide stats mean exactly jack, who hunts statewide? Governors tag? We get a tag to hunt one unit or zone and anyone who hunts an area with 5% success gets exactly what they asked for.

Obviously there's draw tags for better quality and/or success and most of us also apply for those, but if you want to hunt every year you better learn to hunt pressured elk or be ready to fork over significant money that not everyone has. We don't have a lot of money so we hunt OTC pressured elk every year and our success rates are well in excess of 50%. Of the dozen or so elk tags that we've drawn our success rate is 100%. The draw tag DIY kills wouldn't have been 100% without the knowledge gained hunting OTC for decades considering the fact that an outfitter is not in the budget.
You either don't get it...or don't want to get it. You do not determine success/harvest rates by a single unit...there are units with higher success historically but even those units have years with low harvest due to weather conditions/winter kill/ and other factors....but nobody intentionally buys tags in a 5% zone (except shady outfitters that sell hunts based on false promises)...if there are 5000 tags in a unit...you are telling me that you have 2500 of your friends that harvest elk in that unit ever year...I would say you are not being truthful OR you are the greatest hunters that ever lived. I have friends that have been in Montana/Colorado/Utah their entire lives and hunted for 30-40 years and even they have years they don't get Elk. Draw tag units are not what we are talking about...we are talking OTC...but even in draw units those success rates aren't anywhere near 50-100% like you claim. Wether you are OTC or DIY that does not change the success rates recorded...and that does not change the stats. If you are saying those stats are not true, please share what data you have that is better than what is being recorded....ill wait.

Have you hunted with either of these outfits? Thinking of treating myself to an outfitted hunt in MT (mostly for the land access) in the next few years.
Yes, Ive hunted with MHC. I have been exchanging info with MTO but haven't gone with them yet. Feel free to PM with any questions

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
PM me a list of who to stay away from please. I have some hunts coming up w/outfitters and while I don't expect an Elk, I expect to see signs of them. It's still hunting. I don't want anything that's like a high fence where it's near guaranteed.

OP
G

GatorMike

FNG
PM me a list of who to stay away from please. I have some hunts coming up w/outfitters and while I don't expect an Elk, I expect to see signs of them. It's still hunting. I don't want anything that's like a high fence where it's near guaranteed.
What states? Feel free to PM me....ive hunted with a bunch of outfitters in CO, NM, UT