Elk/muley/whitetail rifle help

aspade17

FNG
Hey everyone, looking for a little help on a rifle I’m trying to assemble.
Quick back story, I live in Pennsylvania and hunt our private ground as well as the public land “mountains” (steep hills I’m sure for most of you westerners). I’m looking to put together a rifle and scope combo for anything elk size and smaller. I plan to travel west in pursuit of elk or Muley in the very near future but also hunt lots of white tails in PA and surrounding states with the occasional black bear maybe thrown in.

Things I’m looking for are fairly light and around the 280AI/7 mag caliber. I’m not married to a certain brand on any component. Factory available ammo isn’t a concern as everything will be hand loaded.
I’ve been looking at savage 110 ultralight and tikka t3x light. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE is that I am a lefty and finding such is always near impossible ( talked to my local gun store and they wouldn’t even try to order me a 110 lefty in 280AI). I’m not opposed to shooting a right handed gun left handed as I’ve done it my entire life other than a few that I own.

On a side note, there is a local individual selling a 110 ultralight in 300 WSM (in RH of course) with Zeiss v4 and 50 pieces of Norma brass, (280) sierra 180gr bullets and a pound of powder for $1800. Seems like a deal just wasn’t considering that caliber until I saw the ad.

Thanks for any and all responses, and sorry for the long read!

Austin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That WSM package is a very good deal! As long as it isn't a scam, I would scoop that up as quickly as possible. The 300 WSM will suit your needs just fine, especially since you reload. That is a good rifle, good scope and excellent supply of reloading supplies for that price.

jdyansick

FNG
As someone who recently, in the past few years, has found out he is left eye dominant, don't shy away from a right handed gun. I shoot left handed now with "right handed" rifles and shotguns. Obviously your preference would be a left handed gun. I'm looking for similar things you are and it is tough. Might have to buy me another righty and deal.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
That WSM package is a very good deal! As long as it isn't a scam, I would scoop that up as quickly as possible. The 300 WSM will suit your needs just fine, especially since you reload. That is a good rifle, good scope and excellent supply of reloading supplies for that price.

I guessed that was a pretty good deal based on the cost of the rifle alone, just have never had any experience with the caliber so was waiting on input about that. Thank you

Quick back story, I live in Pennsylvania and hunt our private ground as well as the public land “mountains” (steep hills I’m sure for most of you westerners). I’m looking to put together a rifle and scope combo for anything elk size and smaller. I plan to travel west in pursuit of elk or Muley in the very near future but also hunt lots of white tails in PA and surrounding states with the occasional black bear maybe thrown in.

Things I’m looking for are fairly light and around the 280AI/7 mag caliber. I’m not married to a certain brand on any component. Factory available ammo isn’t a concern as everything will be hand loaded.
I’ve been looking at savage 110 ultralight and tikka t3x light. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE is that I am a lefty and finding such is always near impossible ( talked to my local gun store and they wouldn’t even try to order me a 110 lefty in 280AI). I’m not opposed to shooting a right handed gun left handed as I’ve done it my entire life other than a few that I own.

On a side note, there is a local individual selling a 110 ultralight in 300 WSM (in RH of course) with Zeiss v4 and 50 pieces of Norma brass, (280) sierra 180gr bullets and a pound of powder for $1800. Seems like a deal just wasn’t considering that caliber until I saw the ad.

Austin

I’m also LH. In 2020 I started my elk rifle build by purchasing a cheap LH Ruger American in .308 (they offer multiple caliber options) from Bud’s for around $400. I chose the Ruger due to its one-piece bolt design (similar to Weatherby), super smooth feeding, and reputation for reliability and accuracy.

After receiving the rifle I immediately removed the junky plastic stock and purchased an aluminum pillar bedded Boyd’s custom stock. Upon receipt, I also glass bedded the stock to the action with the included kit from Boyd’s. I’d never done this before, but it was pretty easy after watching a couple helpful YouTube videos.

The barrel is now 100% free floated from the barrel nut to the muzzle and the laminate stock looks and handles wonderfully.

With this setup I’m able to shoot 1” groups at 200 yards with factory ammo. I have roughly $700 invested in the stock and Ruger action/barrel.

Tf44

FNG
I don't think you could go wrong with a 7mm rem mag. I have a Remington 700 adl that I free floated and bedded in the cheep plastic factory stock, added a timney trigger, leupold 1 piece base and a sightron s2 big sky 4-16x42. It's light weight and will do 6 in groups at 800 yards. I don't know what more you could ask from a hunting rifle. With the light contour factory barrel it heats up and the groups spread after 5 rounds but once again, this is a hunting gun not a target rifle.

OP
aspade17

aspade17

FNG
Thanks everyone for the input. I do have a synthetic model 700 in 270 actually. Never really thought about installing it on a new stock but that isn’t a bad idea honestly.
I just never turn down the idea of getting a new rifle.

WKR
If you already have a .270, I don't understand getting a .280, AI or not, unless there is a cool factor in having a less common round. Sounds like you are wanting to step it up from .270. If .270 isn't enough, 7 mag sounds like the obvious answer.

With your current 270 Winchester, carry that for your hunting back east, IMO. That will continue to cover everything you'll ever need even at longer range, as you probably know. I wouldn't jump up to a 7mm whether that's a 280/AI or a 7mm Rem Mag given your current 270.

The 300 WSM gives you a better/more versatile two rifle battery especially if you're coming out west. The 300 WSM simply has a bit more horsepower. A 180 grain or 200 grain controlled expansion bullet of pretty much any style has elk written all over it. Not just for when everything is "right". If you have a quartering shot to drive the bullet home on a special trip out west, that 300 WSM is your huckleberry given the options that are being discussed. Again, IMO.

I started with one gun out here in Colorado, a Savage 110 in 300 Winchester Magnum, sold it and got an M70 Synthetic Matte Sporter in 300 Win Mag when they made that gun in controlled round feed in 1995. The M70 has played on the antelope plains and reached across a meadow for bull elk, with a few mule deer in between.

If I had to keep just three of my rifles, I have a 270 Winchester on the one end, a 300 Winchester Magnum in the middle and a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved on the other bookend.

Any one of them can be pressed to do duty the others would do but if I had just a 270 Winchester and a 280/AI or 7mm Rem Mag, I feel they would be more similar vs giving more versatility for my hunting.

But definitely, get another gun as it's much more fun owning two any way you slice it especially if you handload, lol.

Last edited:

Howler80

FNG
I love my weatherby markv in 300 wby
Accurate, long range energy, and killing power, great from deer, wild hogs, elk, moose, Cariboo etc, smallest I've taken is a wolf at 320 yards..
Would recommend

Austin

I have a Savage 110 timberline left hand in 280 ai I'm willing to part with. And about 10 boxes of various ammo. Pm me

If you were to run with the 270 you currently have, consider setting it up with two scopes. If you use a rail or even a two piece weaver type base, it would be fairly easy to swap scopes and keep them in the rings. Of course you would confirm or re-zero when you swapped. Run a 2.5-8x36 back east and something with a bit more magnification when you are hunting out west.

I also agree with some who have said that the 270 is too close to the 280. If you do get another rifle, I would look hard at something in 30 caliber.

Fullfan

WKR
Where in Pa is that deal ?

I live in Pa, and hunt deer and elk in Montana and Idaho. Before I started archery hunting the 300wsm was my go to. Can load down to 130 gn for deer, and up to 180 for elk.

Jimss

WKR
I've shot a pile of elk, deer, antelope, sheep, mtn goat, and bear with my Sako Finnlite 300 WSM. Sako is made in Finland and is quality made! The Finnlite is also light for hauling up and down the hills. My 300 WSM kicks about the same as my old 270. Not bad at all! I trust my 300 so much that I only load 1 shell in it while hunting. Knock on wood.....almost every critter I've shot only took 1 shot. If I were you I wouldn't use a 270 on elk or moose sized game. A 270 may work but you may be disappointed if you wound a larger sized animal that is capable of taking punishment. If you don't go with 300 WSM I'd buy a 30 caliber of some sort. My 300 WSM 150 grain bullets travel around 3,200 fps which is pretty quick for a decent sized bullet.

I have a similar set of requirements. I live in Pa and hunt the west. You can hunt Pa with anything. So you need to build an elk gun and use it for everything else if you choose to. But if you’re like me eventually you’ll decide that your elk gun is for elk and you would rather have a Pa gun instead of putting more expensive ammo through your elk rifle. I’ll stop there because I’m not a fan of the endless debates about caliber. That’s a personal preference and based on the style of hunting and the area that a particular hunter spends his time in. I’ll simply say one thing: Elk are Fn tough and killing one also means finding it the same day. So hope for the best but definitely plan for the worst and don’t buy a pea shooter. Good luck.