Elk/Mule Deer draw strategy

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve put in for New Mexico Elk and few times over the past few years. I’ve also gone OTC in Colorado with no luck. I’ve considered using a tag service to apply and manage my tags in multiple states to hopefully increase my draw odds. Do any of you use one of these services? Is it worthwhile? If not, is anyone willing to chat a bit about the process of applying on your own and figuring out which units/states to apply to. I’m mostly interested in archery elk and mule deer.

I personally don’t use one of those services, but it is a lot of stuff to keep track of. Managing points and researching hunts/units across the west has basically become my hobby over the last 15 years so I have no interest in paying someone else to do it. If you’ve got the cash to spend on it I think it would be pretty nice for a guy that doesn’t know or care to learn the ins and outs of all the states.

Reactions: bwp
Happy to chat. Each state is very different in terms of draw process and what you can expect. Your strategy will depend on what your expectations are and how long you plan to play the game. Are you trying to find more opportunity to just go? Are you only wanting higher profile/OIL type hunts? Do you have unlimited budget? So many questions there is no one sized fits all.

App services will not “increase” your odds. Pick a state and do the research.

Epic outdoors has been a good resource for me. I do all my own apps, but they have been helpful narrowing down different units which they actually have experience in rather than the unit description pages on goHUNT or whatever. They won’t spoon feed you information on general type hunts but specific questions tend to get me good answers.

Last few phone calls with them went something like “I am considering unit X and Y. I know they are not highly sought after tags. I’m hoping to hunt somewhere that I can scout and hunt hard and at least have the opportunity to turn up a 180 type buck”.

Their info has been spot on so far. They were also super helpful when I had a OIL type deer tag in Nevada.