elk knife: iron will k1 vs argali carbon thoughts

looking to pick up a new knife for this elk season as either a backup or primary depending how it all works out.

i have seen a lot of good things on the argali carbon but the iron will k1 doesnt have much out there for reviews. has anyone used both and have a preference one way or the other?

i am okay at sharpening knifes but far from being great at it - can keep my s30v knives shaving sharp but would not proclaim to be better then average at getting an edge if you have found one to be easier then the other. never worked with sharpening A2 outside of touching up broadheads after a foam target.

i am ordering some new IW broadheads and figured if i get that knife id just order it all together but i dont want to miss out on the argali if its a better $200 lightweight knife.

btw overall weight isn’t a driving factor just looking to throw a lightweight knife in the collection as a primary or backup to my full size/weight knife i currently use.

I've quartered one elk and field dressed several deer with a first generation Iron Will K1. It holds an edge well, cuts well, and resharpens fairly easily, but trying to keep the steel from corroding is a PITA. Mine is covered with black splotches and some pitting from not getting it cleaned and dried quickly/thoroughly enough. I personally won't buy another knife made of A2 or any other similarly corrosion prone steel.

Fuenstock

FNG
I don't have any experience with either of your knife choices but neither look like a good profile for skinning to me. They look like good quartering and meat trimming blades thou.
I like to keep 2 knives in my kill kit. 1 specifically for skinning and 1 for meat processing.

OP
P
thanks, i went down the replacement blade options years ago when i was guiding whitetail hunts and while they are nice its not the path for me; i dont like throwing away and dealing with old blades for the convenience of having a sharp one handy. i much prefer a knife i can keep a lifetime and sharpen as needed. my comment on being s average knife sharpener was geared towards the difference of s35v vs A2. i dont have the skillset or more so say want to spend the time dealing with a super hard steel like s90v that will hold a edge longer but be a pita if you let it dull past a honing property

FYI on the side of a mountain with 15 minutes of light left with nasty weather breathing down your neck throwing away an old blade for convenience is something you will come to appreciate. While that might not matter in your experience with whitetails elk in elk country is a whole other ballgame. I love a great fixed blade knife with some sentimental value but to me it’s not the best tool for the job.

OP
P
thanks indian summer appreciate the feedback ive broken down 4 elk now and have had no regrets of not having a replaceable blade knife with me. having two good knifes and a ceramic rod i have had virtually 0 complaints.

i am not buying a knife out of need but out of want, and not to be rude but i am asking for thoughts on two knifes if anyone has experience with them - not if you think a throw away knife will change my life. replacing a blade at anytime is somewhat dangerous, changing it when tired / low light / bad weather increases the chances of cutting yourself. i dont like to carry extra blades into the woods with me and i dont like to carry them out to be thrown away. the environmental side of me cringes at the thought of it.

i guess because i am from PA the noses get turned up and assumptions that i have no idea about anything are made - i have worked up thousands of deer, probably a hundred bears, a few red stags, a couple dozen pigs and 4 elk having a buddy with a butcher shop and hunting in a large group back home i get plenty of practice at working a knife. to the point that not only do i not personally like throw away knifes but that they would cost me more money in a year or two of use them a good fixed blade.

OP
P
I just ordered the argali carbon. Thank you mighty mouse i hadn’t considered the upkeep of A2 outside of the blade retention. That made my decision for me, appreciate the feedback!

TheHammer

WKR
I love my iron will broadheads. But keeping them from rusting is a problem. I’m sure the knife is the same. I run the argali, seems to be the best knife for my needs. Hopefully you enjoy yours. Just don’t be careless with bones n be mindful of keeping an edge. I did an elk and whitetail before sharpening. But learned to be more conscious and use the tool properly.

thanks indian summer appreciate the feedback ive broken down 4 elk now and have had no regrets of not having a replaceable blade knife with me. having two good knifes and a ceramic rod i have had virtually 0 complaints.

i am not buying a knife out of need but out of want, and not to be rude but i am asking for thoughts on two knifes if anyone has experience with them - not if you think a throw away knife will change my life. replacing a blade at anytime is somewhat dangerous, changing it when tired / low light / bad weather increases the chances of cutting yourself. i dont like to carry extra blades into the woods with me and i dont like to carry them out to be thrown away. the environmental side of me cringes at the thought of it.

i guess because i am from PA the noses get turned up and assumptions that i have no idea about anything are made - i have worked up thousands of deer, probably a hundred bears, a few red stags, a couple dozen pigs and 4 elk having a buddy with a butcher shop and hunting in a large group back home i get plenty of practice at working a knife. to the point that not only do i not personally like throw away knifes but that they would cost me more money in a year or two of use them a good fixed blade.
I’m from Pa brother. Lol I hear you about throwing away blades. I feel bad about it but I do it. I plunge them into the ground.

IdahoElk

WKR
Have you checked out a Cutco serrated hunting knife? I've done 4 elk with mine since I had it sharpened and it's still scary sharp, had it for over 20yrs, done lots of cutting.

I have not used the IW knife but am very impressed with the argali. I can do an entire elk before touch up and it did extremely well on moose. Very happy with the argali but I’m always looking for a new knife to try.

Having both an Iron Will K1 original and an Argali Carbon, I have come to prefer the Argali. I like the double edge on the IW, but the ergonomics for me are slightly better I feel with the Argali, that's completely personal, but the IW blade looks pretty rough at this point. Nothing actually wrong with that, several of my broadheads look rough too, they still hold a good edge, they just have patina now. I prefer my knife to look clean and taken care of.

I'm happy with both, not a bad one between them, but I think you made the choice I would make between the 2.

Breaking several replacement blades, they definitely aren't for me. Certain situations, but trying to get an animal worked up quickly, I definitely prefer an actual fixed blade over a flimsy, easily snapped blade going who knows where replaceable.

I prefer a fixed blade knife over any replaceable blade. I actually carry a couple of 16 dollar victorinox boning knifes in the field. I make cheap redneck knife sheath for them. I have used a Havalon a few times and they work well but you need to slow down and not put any pressure on the blade.

LostArra

WKR
I prefer a fixed blade knife over any replaceable blade. I actually carry a couple of 16 dollar victorinox boning knifes in the field. I make cheap redneck knife sheath for them. I have used a Havalon a few times and they work well but you need to slow down and not put any pressure on the blade.

I've moved away from from replaceable blades for elk but still use my Outdoor Edge on whitetails.

After an extended discussion about knives and elk with my hunting buddies I bagged up an entire cow elk (bone-in) with a Little Vicki while they watched just to make my point. I still carry it.

I like the looks of the Argali Carbon and 1.8 ounces!!! That's getting close to the Vicky

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the Argali Carbon for a few years now and absolutely love it. That knife has 4 bull elk, 3 cow elk, hand full of mule deer and whitetails under its belt and every time I use it I am happy. Argali offers to sharpen the knife for free however I have never sent it in. I run a precision knife sharpener and leather strop after every use. The carbon knife gets razor sharp and holds an edge through an entire bull elk debone.

I am a oz. counter when it comes to my gear. I have used the replacement blades in the past and though they start sharp the blades are thin and dull easily. The Carbon is very light and has some of the best steel I have worked with. You wont be disappointed.

Another option I thought I would throw out there is to take a look at Montana Knife Co. If you want a lightweight knife then take a look at their speedgoat.

I mainly use my tyto, have a BM altitude, and a handful of custom knives, but when I’m not using my tyto, my favorite real knife is my dalstrong shogun paring knife, it’s my favorite blade steel by far, holds an edge almost as well as the altitude, but comes back a lot easier

The altitude isn’t a bad knife, but it sucks to sharpen in the field, not bad at home, but when it gets dull breaking an elk down, that’s it. I would like it a lot if it stayed sharp through a whole elk, but it doesn’t… I could get through one, but I like a sharp knife the whole way.

I may have a new handle put on the dalstrong, because it’s a great blade, just not great ergonomics for that type of work

The altitude, I think I don’t love because it was a letdown, I thought it would get through an elk sharp. It’s always in my pack, but rarely gets used