Elk in heavy recreational traffic areas

Gapmaster

WKR
Let me throw a hypothetical scenario out there and see what the group thinks.

So if you were in a unit that had really good elk numbers, but it was over run with recreational activities, how are you hunting it? Let’s add that there’s not many places where a guy could go 1.5-2 miles without hitting trail or road. Archery hunt. Alpine with dark timbered slopes. Maybe there’s no private ground close, and the terrain lends to a narrow band of elk habitat.

I figure there’s gonna be a lot of various ideas out there. Just curious on everyone’s take.

Elk can get very habituated to people on hiking trails. In Washington and in Utah I’ve called multiple bulls up to extremely high traffic trails and hear bulls talking with recreational hikers all around a lot. I just hunt them like I normally would and try to be set up away from the trail if I’m calling in a bull. Nothing like having a lady walk a poodle right in front of a bull just as he comes out in the open 🤣

CMF

WKR
I just hunt them like I normally would
+1

Most people aren't hiking at daylight and dark.

Do be prepared for an extended pack out if you're successful as people have lots of questions when they see you hiking out with a set of antlers. Probably a few photo requests too....

Hnthrdr

WKR
My experience with heavy recreational traffic is it also means loads of other hunters. Have a spot like that and can regularly get into elk, but most of the time it’s a giant PITA cause it’s loaded with hunters since it’s not too far from civilization, hence the boatload of recreational traffic as well

+1

Most people aren't hiking at daylight and dark.

Do be prepared for an extended pack out if you're successful as people have lots of questions when they see you hiking out with a set of antlers. Probably a few photo requests too....
Had to pack a buck out one of the most popular trails in SE Idaho a couple years ago. 2 college girls wernt paying attention when they passing us and the nose of the deer on my pack touched one of their shoulders 😂🤣 she flipped out and I thought her friend was going to pee herself she was laughing so hard.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
It took me quite awhile to figure out how to kill elk in these types of areas.

Sorry - Definitely not gonna share the knowledge ;)
Dang… I was hoping you would spill it all out here with gps coordinates and everything. How are the FNGs gonna learn if you don’t draw a map?

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
I was just curious if other guys went at it the same way I do. Seems like most do. At the end of the day, elk are where you find them right?!? The circumstances surrounding them just changes.

House21

FNG
One of my most successful hunting spots is heavily used by guys on atv’s and dirt bikes. I don’t typically hunt there other than the first and last hour of light, but we take elk, moose and deer out of that area every year.

It is great when you’re packing out and someone stops and ask if you want to hop on a atv for a easy ride back to the truck lol

I hunt an area with great elk numbers but tons of atv trails and tons of atv traffic. Not much for hikers and rarely ever run into another hunter. I’ve found through lots of trial and error that the elk and deer are staying in the timber. Every elk I’ve seen come into the meadows and openings are staying as close to the timber as possible and going in when anything approaches.

This year I’m going to change my game and search for good sign, beds, and travel corridors in the dark timber before putting in any cameras. I’m pretty adhd and staying on an area is real difficult but I’m going to force it. Once I establish the areas I know they are using I will be there dawn to dusk. I will only be using calf and cow sounds and sparingly as they do not talk outside the rut and my area gives that to rifle hunters.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
If Im in a unit with good herd numbers I would not need to seek out heavy recreational use areas. Sure game can be in those areas but same for the non typical areas. I just prefer less people I guess.

jchamwv

FNG
I would be looking at the elevations where there are no rec trails. If these rec trails are used year round then the elk are accustomed to the noise and will generally avoid them as much as possible from what I've experienced.

wytx

WKR
I know an elk area in Wyoming that fits that bill and the elk hunting there has dramatically changed for the worse over the last few years due to increased pressure by recreationists. Hunted the area in the past and would not even apply for it now.

TheTone

WKR
Sounds incredibly similar (minus the alpine) with most of the elk hunting I’ve ever done.

Tree stand.. Find the travel paths and try to figure out what time they'll pass through that area

t_carlson

WKR
IME, in those situations, you can't use maps as well to locate good hunting areas. Often, you have to put boots on the ground and see exactly what areas are NOT getting as much traffic.

Any rules about "hunting X miles from the nearest road" are of no use.

The elk still avoid human activity, but they do it in different ways than "backcountry" elk.

dusky

FNG
I once saw a mature bull during the pre-rut walk across a trail at dusk that is unbelievably busy not more than 1/4 mile from a busy parking lot. He was bedded probably down in the creek just a hundred yards from there. He only had to cross 100 yards of NF to again be on private land. He ascended the slope to feed. He knows exactly when and where people are around.

bz_711

WKR
You still have to find the freshest sign that was made during daylight hours...tracks/sign in these areas could be 100% dark time - so be careful. But any fresh sign is a good start and take it from there to find their first/last light activity areas.

Personally - I don't like crowded spots and the recreation has increased 10x in the last 10 years it seems...I like to find less pressured areas. That doesn't mean go 5 miles deep...often times .5 mile is plenty to find pockets. I just typically avoid any trailhead or "parking" areas...all of my bulls i have just parked on the shoulder of the road where I had yet to see any trucks nearby (possibly my #1 tip).

Good Luck!