Elk Hunting with Newborn Baby?

ColoradoV

WKR
Take em with you… Father of 2 daughters here = my wife was in elk camp on sept 17-22 on my first daughter she was born on Sept 27th.. My second was born on August 29h and was in elk camp at 10,500’ by sept 7 and stayed for 2 weeks.

I did pull a 5th wheel to stay in there for a few years and that made things more comfortable. Perspectives differ but for our family it was a great time with family we will cherish.

Sevens

WKR
Nothing alpha about ditching your wife with a newborn to go hunt far away for a week.

It’s your kid, man up, be a dad, and go hunting elk when the kid is older. Mom will most likely need the help, if not directly then indirectly. She won’t be getting a lot of sleep.

Also, you’re really early into the pregnancy with an August due date. Lot can happen in between then an now. Ask me how I know.

NB7

WKR
What she's saying now might be entirely different than how she's feeling then. Once all those post birth hormones start kicking.
I'd build the foundation for smooth sailing on all future hunting trips by skipping this one. Shows your willing to sacrifice too and are ranking family as first priority. That should pay dividends on all future hunt planning.

What she's saying now might be entirely different than how she's feeling then. Once all those post birth hormones start kicking.
I'd build the foundation for smooth sailing on all future hunting trips by skipping this one. Shows your willing to sacrifice too and are ranking family as first priority. That should pay dividends on all future hunt planning.
Never underestimate the hormones.

Reactions: NB7

jpmulk

WKR
I just went through this. Ill share my experience. My kiddo was born in the middle of archery season. Im fortunate to hunt close to home and was able to do several day or partial day hunts. But i will say this. It was not nearly as fun as usual. Every time i was out, i could only think of my family at home. I felt guilty for being gone and really wanted to enjoy time with the new kiddo. I thought several times of throwing in the towel and calling it good for this year. It was also stressful trying to balance work, hunting, and having two boys under two at home with a newborn. I also got sick twice amidst all this.

That was my experience. I still made some good hunting memories. But hunting is not everything. There isnt a black and white answer. You need to assess what will work best for your fam. If you can be present up until your hunt and then hunt for a week and be done with no guilt and your wife has plenty of help, then maybe its worth it. If you will feel guilty or your wife needs you, then its not worth it. Its one season of your life.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 9yo, a 7yo, and a 3 yo. A couple of thoughts. First off, as many have said, this is the first kid... We've all seen young couples who don't have kids armchair quarter backing parents who are struggling with toddler fits saying "you should do this or that" and then these young couples have kids of their own and get slapped in the face with the reality of raising kids. Your wife is saying she is fine with you going right now because she (and you) have no freaking idea of what having a newborn at home is going to entail. Sleepless nights, screaming babies, and the hormone dump she will be experiencing can be an absolute test of endurance. Throwing in the chance of complications with the birth and the chance of a colicky baby and I think you are setting yourself up for a potential disaster if you try and go. There is plenty you can be doing to help, especially if she has postpartum depression. Since you live out of state and you would need to invest many hundreds/thousands of dollars into the trip (as would your buddy) you are also putting yourself in a situation where you may have to waste all that money. So would your buddy if you bailed so that is putting him in a shitty situation as well and could harm a friendship on top of everything else.

I ended up having to skip out on my week long hunting trip the year our oldest was born because she was super colicky and my wife had some serious depression going on. I did get to do some day hunts. With our second, he was born September 8th and I went rifle elk hunting for a week the first week of November because he was relatively easy and we knew what to expect. I had the ability to be flexible because I live in state. If you lived in state, you could plan a tentative trip and play it by ear but coming from out of state I would suggest you pull the plug this year and sit it out.

Elk hunting (which is a 10 day out of state commitment for me) has always been a contentious issue with the wife. I was deployed the year after my son was born, so that issue wasn’t a factor when he was an infant. But after I got back I did elk hunt when he was 18 months… Not gonna lie, it stressed the marriage a bit. But it also set a good precedent going forward that I get 10 days in the fall to hunt elk.

This year while he was 2.5 wasn’t much of a fight, a few comments here and there but that’s to be expected. She knows elk hunting is my time, and she knows I don’t ask for much else, and when I am home I’m on top of being a good Dad, take care of the house, etc etc.

That said, I agree with the folks saying sit this one out. Wife and I are discussing another and we both agree I’ll take a break from western hunting the year #2 is born. We’re also waiting until the spring to start trying.😉

Marriage is about balance and give and take. You have to show some willingness to take a bit of a personal sacrifice for the sake of the family and marriage. Does it also mean you have to give up elk hunting forever? Absolutely not, but sitting one out for the team will pay dividends in the long run, trust me.

Also, postpartum depression is a thing. Right after my son was born was ROUGH… I was borderline concerned I might have to commit my wife for a few months. Trust me you DO NOT want to be 1500 miles away in the mountains when that shit starts to rear its ugly head, and it’s way more common than you think.

Bottom line build your points and plan for 24. Stay home and be a good father and husband first, and work with your wife to plan for 2024. She will appreciate it and it will help your marriage in the long run.

Use your week vacation and stay home with your new family unit. You will never regret a quiet week at home with a newborn.

You also don't know how the pregnancy/delivery will go. If your wife has a c-section delivery, she would be happy to have you at home for help.

JakeSCH

WKR
At the end of the day, you know your wife better than anyone. First kid I would lean toward staying home unless you can guarantee family to help out. Maybe her mom or sister could come help if you are gone.

My first two kids, born in early September, I stayed home. Kid #3, born end of August, and I was elk hunting when she was 2 months old. By #3 we were more familiar with the routine and wife wanted me to go (she likes elk as much as I do) and we also had it set up that I had food prepped, my parents and in laws staying to help with the older two. Made sure the situation was nailed down.

Father of 3 here. 9-6-4.
Take the year off. Trust me. She doesn’t know what she’s in for yet, lots of changes. You might go, but your head won’t be all there. Plus quite frankly, those babies get big fast.

elkyinzer

WKR
First kid and family close by, you may be alright. I was able to go when my first was 3 months old. We moved when she was pregnant to be close to her family, part of the reasoning for that was to allow me to continue hunting and fishing a reasonable amount.

However, that was the last time I went, 6 years ago. Kid #2, 3, etc you're screwed. That's where I'm at now. Looking at 2024 for a realistic return. She handles the babies, I'm on the big kids. To me a 7 day elk hunt with 2 travel days is borderline pointless. I need 10-14 days for it to even make sense. I've gotten away to camp for 3-4 nights at a time but that is max workable right now. It's feasible I could go on an elk hunt but that would use up pretty much all of the goodwill for the year and I'm not prepared to give up hunting and fishing close to home.

hobbes

WKR
Your baby will be 2 or 3 months old during hunting season. 2 and 3 month old babies eat and sleep all day. If your baby is breastfeed then there is litterslly no reason you NEED to be home other then if you want to or your wife is having a really hard time. Mine did not.
I hunted 6 months after our first. My wife made it fine, but she's not forgotten it.

That quoted above maybe the case for him but absolutely is not the case for everyone. In fact, I'd say that's not even close to reality for most folks.

You'll survive. Stay home and hunt local.

wnelson14

WKR
Just Had my third, 3 under 4yrs old,
Hunted last year and this year. One child now looking back is so damn easy,
I built a house pre and post second child and went hunting for a week during that time.
Let your wife go on a week vacation pre delivery and help out any where and when you can.
A 1 month old needs nothing from you fyi unless Complications from birth.
Go hunting as much as you can before your second child.

On a second thought buy your wife “Taking Care of Baby” online/ book class and you will thank me later when your kids sleeps through the night at 12 weeks old

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Stay home with your wife and your baby. They need you. First baby, 2 months, it’s more important. Plenty more time to hunt. This coming from father of 4 with a wife that fully supports me hunting.

bdg848

WKR
I had to skip my spring turkey trip when mine was a month or two old. Initially my wife said I could go but then she started working her way into the coming with me even though there was no way that would work with her and a baby because I camp out of the car...it was clear at that point, she didn't want to be alone no matter what. This your wife's first child? She probably does not want to be left alone, maybe she will feel confident by number 2 or 3.

She may be totally fine without you, she may only be saying that to make you happy. If it's the latter, she will resent you for leaving her on her own, even is she doesn't PHYSICALLY need your help...we all know that it's an emotional thing. I would skip elk and instead go on a turkey or black bear hunt when spring comes around and the baby is a bit older and mom is a bit more confident.

Rob5589

WKR
Nothing compares to the birth of your first child. I couldn't get enough of mine, now 26. First child, new mom, the unknown of being a first time parent. No way would I consider it. One thing you'll learn is that she may say "ok" but it probably isn't.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
You know your wife better than we do. If you feel like you shouldn’t go, don’t go. If she’s cool with it and has all the support she needs, go for it.

My wife and I had a baby early August of this year and I planned on taking the year off from hunting. Things were going well with her and the baby and my in-laws were more than happy to come stay with us to help out. I didn’t expect it at all, nor did I bring it up, but my wife was cool with it and wanted me to go, which I was very grateful for.

My son was, and still is, an extremely easy baby. He has slept through the night from early on and hardly ever cries. You won’t know until your baby is born and has been around a few weeks. Plan on just being there for your girl and kiddo and go from there.

Last edited:
This is definitely a very tough choice. My wife and I had our first on July and I was away in Idaho for the first 10 days of October. It all went just fine, we had a lot of family support, but I would echo a lot of people here that there is a lot to be said for post partum depression. Thankfully we are on the other side of that by a few years now and subsequent children were a lot easier, but there were times I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving.

My best advice would be this: Plan a trip that can easily have the plug pulled on it with little risk (OTC Colorado or similar, fully refundable flights or driving lined up) and be ready to make a hard choice - Sounds like you want to do what is best for your family and you have to let that prevail over what you might have your heart set on at the time. Your wife will likely not want to stop you from going either way, so you might have to put your foot down (on yourself lol) and just say no and wait for 24.

You'll know the right thing and i'm sure you'll do it. Love to hear so many people have so much good insight on this topic - Love the hunting community.

Last edited:

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
You’re the one that blew it… she didn’t! 😆 Going to have to make the sacrifice and stay home!