Elk Hunting in New Mexico

I am new here, but I wanted to share my elk hunting experience with you.
I have hunted in New Mexico for 13 years and have harvested 11 elk one of the last ones I shot was in the 350 class.

Attachments

• DSCF8018.JPG
    DSCF8018.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 185

Maverick1

WKR
I like your username, that’s good. Being in New Mexico I assume it is referencing the Spanish wording and is pronounced el-kunter. I have a brother named Mike, he also likes to hunt. When he heads deep into the bush we call him Mike Hunt.

@elkunter45 - what caliber rifle did you use to shoot the elk in your picture above? Can you tell me about the scope? Nice bull!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Welcome. Great success rate, about 85%. Now days I'm strictly a meat hunter, so it's cows for me. I have about the same success rate.

OP
E
I like your username, that’s good. Being in New Mexico I assume it is referencing the Spanish wording and is pronounced el-kunter. I have a brother named Mike, he also likes to hunt. When he heads deep into the bush we call him Mike Hunt.

@elkunter45 - what caliber rifle did you use to shoot the elk in your picture above? Can you tell me about the scope? Nice bull!
I used four different rifles to shot the 11 elk. That elk in the picture was shot with a Howa action with a bartlin barrel in a 300 PRC cal. The scope is Zwarovski Z6 3-18x50 reloaded with a Hammer bullet

OP
E
I used four different rifles to shot the 11 elk. That elk in the picture was shot with a Howa action with a bartlin barrel in a 300 PRC cal. The scope is Zwarovski Z6 3-18x50 reloaded with a Hammer bullet
Troll, troll, troll your boat..........
You know It doesn't matter where you go or what you reply to there is always someone who always has to have a smart remark

THallock

FNG
New Mexico is a good state. I've drawn once in 9 years of trying. All public land hunting. I would go again if they ever give me a tag again !

I am new here, but I wanted to share my elk hunting experience with you.
I have hunted in New Mexico for 13 years and have harvested 11 elk one of the last ones I shot was in the 350 class.
Curious if you've hunted in Unit 4? Western end near Lumberton? Have a private hunt potentially lined up but do not know much about the area. Ranch is +/- 6,000 acres. Historically we've have hunted Colorado's Flat Tops Wilderness and in Gunnison, CO. This will be our first New Mexico trip.

I'm on the verge of paying high dollar to acquire a New Mexico Unit 12 elk tag first rifle season in Oct. but I have heard a mix review of the health of the herd in that area / unit. I'm not asking for any spot-on info just general elk herd health / numbers that is from the past couple years. Is it worth paying high dollar to hunt private ground in that area. I will be on private ground 5000 acres that only has 1 elk tag available for the first rifle season in early Oct so I will have it to myself with no one else on the property for any reason which sounds great, it will be my first elk trip to New Mexico. I shoot a 7mm Rem. Mag that is very accurate out to 600 on an elk size kill zone. There may be 1 archery hunter on that private ground before me, and I'm good with that. I have heard on this piece of private that they have shot a couple of monsters over the years and the area usually has a healthy herd of 310 to 340 class bulls with a chance at some bigger bulls over the last 8-9 years. Any help to make my decision to pull the trigger on this tag would be very appreciated. I've posted this same question in a couple of New Mexico threads today trying to get some info.

575 ELK

FNG
I'm on the verge of paying high dollar to acquire a New Mexico Unit 12 elk tag first rifle season in Oct. but I have heard a mix review of the health of the herd in that area / unit. I'm not asking for any spot-on info just general elk herd health / numbers that is from the past couple years. Is it worth paying high dollar to hunt private ground in that area. I will be on private ground 5000 acres that only has 1 elk tag available for the first rifle season in early Oct so I will have it to myself with no one else on the property for any reason which sounds great, it will be my first elk trip to New Mexico. I shoot a 7mm Rem. Mag that is very accurate out to 600 on an elk size kill zone. There may be 1 archery hunter on that private ground before me, and I'm good with that. I have heard on this piece of private that they have shot a couple of monsters over the years and the area usually has a healthy herd of 310 to 340 class bulls with a chance at some bigger bulls over the last 8-9 years. Any help to make my decision to pull the trigger on this tag would be very appreciated. I've posted this same question in a couple of New Mexico threads today trying to get some info.
I think you should pull the trigger on that hunt ! You need to remember you’re buying a HUNT not an elk. From what you described, 5000 acres with no other hunters, big bulls have been killed there….you snooze you lose.