Elk Hunt Before or After Equinox?

Fowl Play

WKR
Hey Fellas,

I was one of those guys who didn't start elk hunting until AFTER I had a daughter born on September 21st. -- definitely not ideal! :ROFLMAO: I'm in Florida so it's a bit of a trek and have only gone on one elk hunt so far, but planning on my 2nd for 2023. Already have a point in Montana so next year should be almost guaranteed on my Combo license. What was everyone's experience this year for the rut? I know the 5 ish days on either side of the Fall Equinox are supposed to be peak rut. Did you experience peak rutting activity before or after this year? If anyone wants to PM me, any past experience from Southwestern Montana would be appreciated. I'll be doing DIY public land backpacking for 10 days. So will either choose the 10 days immediately prior to 21st or after. My only data point so far was from 2020. Seemed like I had most action after the equinox and actually arrowed my bull on the 26th.

Attachments

• C40CC78F-D983-4DFF-BF55-9D6362A84300.jpeg
    C40CC78F-D983-4DFF-BF55-9D6362A84300.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 47

ElkNut1

WKR
Form my experience in 40 years of elk hunting & 32 archery seasons it's tough to beat 5 days prior to the 5 days after the equinox.

I would not consider a single year or two as a good basis for what the elk may do this coming year! You need a bigger picture. Good luck!

ElkNut

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
I have nothing to add except to point out the fact that you have more patience than me.

"Joined Oct 1, 2016
Messages 1"
Love this! I think I joined back then to PM a guy I bought a Nikon spotting scope from and have lurked ever since.

Form my experience in 40 years of elk hunting & 32 archery seasons it's tough to beat 5 days prior to the 5 days after the equinox.

I would not consider a single year or two as a good basis for what the elk may do this coming year! You need a bigger picture. Good luck!

ElkNut
Is this supposed to mean the 5 days before and after the equinox?

So a 10 period with the fall equinox in the middle?

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir! If a full moon falls in those dates at anytime; the better! This applies to OTC Units or Draw Units! If you want to have the best chance at bugling bulls this time frame is unbeatable from year to year, all you need to do is be within earshot of elk! In open country it's great ambush/spot & stalk time with little to no calling, glassing & your ears are hard to beat! -- In tighter thicker timbered country calling is key & you are more apt to get into vocal bulls at that time frame!

ElkNut

Sounds like you have a decent grip on the area you will be chasing elk. Any free time you have to scout on your feet or e scout will be very beneficial. Assuming for me in years past has been detrimental.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Historically, I've had some of the best action with big bulls around the 8-10th of September, right before they cow up.
I've heard this and maybe should give this a shot. Would make sense that your best opportunity at the herd bulls would be when they are establishing dominance and don't actually have a heard yet.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Sounds like you have a decent grip on the area you will be chasing elk. Any free time you have to scout on your feet or e scout will be very beneficial. Assuming for me in years past has been detrimental.
I am fortunate to have gotten intel from buddies who have hunted the area the last 10 years. Was a huge contributor in me being successful solo on my first attempt. They typically rifle hunt though later in the season.