Elk Hide Help

First of all, congrats on an Awesome bull! Very unique rack.

I'd start with working with the taxidermist that did a terrible job. Get as much money back as you can.

Then work with a legit taxidermist, choose and purchase a hide that best matches your bull, and have it redone. It'll likely cost you at least half again of what you already paid.

When I shot my elk in Wichita Mountains Refuge Controlled Hunt in OK, I opted in the field to plan to euro mount. Once I got it home and measured and realized it was a top 15 bull at the time in the state, I immediately regretted my decision. I spent an additional $250 to buy a hide from the same area that had the same colorations as what I shot. I've been very happy with the final product.
I'm kind of in this same boat...regretting not doing a shoulder mount (went with euro). I am considering trying to have it retro fitted. Is this a difficult process for a decent taxidermist?

I'm kind of in this same boat...regretting not doing a shoulder mount (went with euro). I am considering trying to have it retro fitted. Is this a difficult process for a decent taxidermist?
No, it shouldn't be. All they do is cut the skull cap off the euro so that the antlers are intact. Problem would be getting a cape, but you could always shoot another bull and use that cape.

Last edited:
I had a guy do great work on an antelope shoulder mount but then demolish a bear euro. I got it back just crumbling, so I took it back to another taxidermist and he said it looks like he boiled it way too long in peroxide and there’s no way to fix it. 4 years later my bear skull is still flaking apart and I’ve never been back.
How about getting some clear spray epoxy (like spray paint but clear), and in a matte finish and just spray a light coat over the skull to hold the surface together. Let that coat dry, then spray another coat. It would have to be real light coats, but several will do the job. Might not look dull like it is now, but the remainder of it can be preserved. I put my bear skull in a clear lexan box that I had made at a trophy shop. The bear skull sits on a piece of stained walnut, covered by the lexan box. It has lasted since 1998 so far, still looks good as new.

I’m no expert. But if you currently have a euro. Basically all they’ll use is the antlers and skull plate. Your skull will be gone. No going back to a euro.

Just pick out a nice hide that you feel is right.

Krolly

FNG
Right, no problem taking a euro and capping the skull for a shoulder mount. Hides are pretty readily available for a nominal cost. I’ve mounted many deer and elk on hides for clients that we’re not the original for multiple reasons. We just try to match the size/age of the animal when selecting a hide. It’s personal preference if it matters to you that it’s not the original cape.

sndmn11

WKR
:LOL: yea you might be right, but I'm hoping it looks better than it does right now

Yea I took it back and he's going to replace the cape so let's see what I get back this time.

Talk through a plan C before he starts any work. "If I am not happy with your work then you refund 100%" or whatever you agree to. Otherwise you might be back in this same situation but with him having more work and two random capes into this.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Does this guy work out of his garage or does he have a real business?

No offense to the skilled taxis who work from home.

P
No its a actual business, it has been around for years started by his grandfather, then to his father, and now he has it. Its unfortunate that he is letting the quality slip

Brickshot

FNG
To be honest, the quality of work is disappointing. The hide appears irregular, and other aspects of the mount also seem subpar.