Elk Hide Help

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't want to say anything, but my goodness that's bad. I feel for you.

I love dark bulls, but that's not what you shot. The bull in my avatar was a dark bull with a gorgeous long black mane, especially on the throat.....like 8" long hair. Unusual for an early archery bull. The only reason I mounted this bull was because of the gorgeous cape........and I too didn't get my cape back on that one either. I got a big discount, but never went back to him again. Somebody got a great cape.

First of all, congrats on an Awesome bull! Very unique rack.

I'd start with working with the taxidermist that did a terrible job. Get as much money back as you can.

Then work with a legit taxidermist, choose and purchase a hide that best matches your bull, and have it redone. It'll likely cost you at least half again of what you already paid.

When I shot my elk in Wichita Mountains Refuge Controlled Hunt in OK, I opted in the field to plan to euro mount. Once I got it home and measured and realized it was a top 15 bull at the time in the state, I immediately regretted my decision. I spent an additional $250 to buy a hide from the same area that had the same colorations as what I shot. I've been very happy with the final product.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Ruh roh. Sum Ting Wong.

That is not quality work. I’m sorry for your loss. At this point your options are to either:
1. appreciate it for what it is. Appears to be a cow with antlers. Or

2. take it to another taxidermist and ask what they can do for you. Might be several hundred dollars to fix it - reuse the form and antlers but have to start over with someone else’s cape, new ears, and essentially a complete remount.

Taxidermist should go into hall of shame. That’s not how an elk is supposed to look, and looks nothing like your bull.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
I ended up taking it back and he stated that he “found” a hide that is the same size that he can redo it with

elkguide

WKR
Good luck. You have a great elk. Hopefully this bad experience doesn't detract from the fond memories of your hunt.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
First of all, congrats on an Awesome bull! Very unique rack.

I'd start with working with the taxidermist that did a terrible job. Get as much money back as you can.

Then work with a legit taxidermist, choose and purchase a hide that best matches your bull, and have it redone. It'll likely cost you at least half again of what you already paid.

When I shot my elk in Wichita Mountains Refuge Controlled Hunt in OK, I opted in the field to plan to euro mount. Once I got it home and measured and realized it was a top 15 bull at the time in the state, I immediately regretted my decision. I spent an additional $250 to buy a hide from the same area that had the same colorations as what I shot. I've been very happy with the final product.
Thank you, I took it back and he stated he’s gonna get it fixed so we shall see I’ll repost what he gives me back

Maverick1

WKR
I ended up taking it back and he stated that he “found” a hide that is the same size that he can redo it with
Thanks for the update. That's kind of an admission that his work was not up to your standards, and likely not his, either. (Although, that is questionable at this point!) Buying an elk cape tanned is not cheap ($100-$200), and if he's going to redo the entire mount, that's several hours of work on his part. Sounds like you are a gambling man! (I mean, it couldn't get any worse......or could it?....)

OP
I

issace1

FNG
A gambling man!

Powerball odds might be better, just saying.
:LOL: yea you might be right, but I'm hoping it looks better than it does right now
I didn't want to say anything, but my goodness that's bad. I feel for you.

I love dark bulls, but that's not what you shot. The bull in my avatar was a dark bull with a gorgeous long black mane, especially on the throat.....like 8" long hair. Unusual for an early archery bull. The only reason I mounted this bull was because of the gorgeous cape........and I too didn't get my cape back on that one either. I got a big discount, but never went back to him again. Somebody got a great cape.
Yea I took it back and he's going to replace the cape so let's see what I get back this time.

Do you think the cape he showed you is really yours and he was trying to pull a fast one?? Quality capes are worth good money and he could probably sell it to someone else or put it on someone's rack that lost their cape and really charge them $$$ for it. Sounds shady to me, sorry you have to go through it. You probably will have to wait a long time to get him to do it since he won't be making any money doing it.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Thanks for the update. That's kind of an admission that his work was not up to your standards, and likely not his, either. (Although, that is questionable at this point!) Buying an elk cape tanned is not cheap ($100-$200), and if he's going to redo the entire mount, that's several hours of work on his part. Sounds like you are a gambling man! (I mean, it couldn't get any worse......or could it?....)
Well, he had no room for argument when he had another elk in his showroom, and I put mine right next to it and they looked completely different in color. I'm not paying him a penny more so if he loses out that's on him for not doing it correctly the first time. But like you said can it get any worse, I guess I'm going to find out.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Do you think the cape he showed you is really yours and he was trying to pull a fast one?? Quality capes are worth good money and he could probably sell it to someone else or put it on someone's rack that lost their cape and really charge them $$$ for it. Sounds shady to me, sorry you have to go through it. You probably will have to wait a long time to get him to do it since he won't be making any money doing it.
So, it was kind of shady because he went to the back and said that he has an "extra" cape that he can use to fix mine and that it is a bull so it will match, so he showed it to me and it is the right color and size from what I could tell, So, what I'm thinking is he's going to put my actual cape on and the one he put was not mine, but I don't know. At this point I just want the darn thing to look like an Elk, and never go back to him again.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Have you seen any other "work" done by this guy, and how do they look compared to yours??
Yes, he did my Oryx mount, and it came out good, I have seen other work as well, which has good ratings, but I have also seen some questionable mounts. I will be using someone else unfortunately it'll be a little drive to get to that shop.

Yea, he probably switched it out hoping you wouldn't notice or care. How long did he say before he gets it back to you. You don't want him to rush the job, even a nice cape won't improve the look of the ears, eyes, and lips if they are not done correctly.

OP
I

issace1

FNG
Yea, he probably switched it out hoping you wouldn't notice or care. How long did he say before he gets it back to you. You don't want him to rush the job, even a nice cape won't improve the look of the ears, eyes, and lips if they are not done correctly.
He said it would be a couple of weeks, but yea I'm not going to rush it I just want it fixed but once I get it back, I'll post a picture of it

dlee56

WKR
I had a guy do great work on an antelope shoulder mount but then demolish a bear euro. I got it back just crumbling, so I took it back to another taxidermist and he said it looks like he boiled it way too long in peroxide and there’s no way to fix it. 4 years later my bear skull is still flaking apart and I’ve never been back.