Elk habitat to hunt

New to Elk hunting here. So I was just came back from my Elk hunt in Colorado. I ended up seeing one bull in shooting range. Unfortunately, saw me before I could draw. He was located in a stand of aspen that was fairly open with under growth vegetation. And, I basically jumped him. My question is do you prefer to hunt this habitat versus a meadow or just timber. My problem is the elk I was hunting only bugled before light or first light and shut down after that. My thought was they may appear in a meadow in the evening but maybe aspen stands are their preferred feeding ground. Also, does anyone know what they are feeding on at these aspen stands. I was surprised to see him there about 8:30 am.

Man, I have never hunted elk anywhere else besides Colorado, but I am finding that to be totally true with the calling shutting down big time after first light and then not starting up again until after dark... I think they are eating the grasses, if you notice when walking around in dark timber there is not much for grasses and small forage due to the acidity of pine needles but also just lack of sunlight that reaches there, where stands of aspen tend to get more light and thus have denser undergrowth generally from my experience.

Gerbdog

WKR
May not be the grass theyre after in those aspen stands.... have you paid attention to the small aspens ... like knee high? In elk heavy area, i find those small aspens are targeted heavily, with all the leaves picked off of them and eaten.

I dont like hunting elk in those open areas anymore, OP, i prefer thicker stuff so the elk needs to come to my calling to look at me.... too many times ive called bulls that are happy to stand and look at where im calling from in those open areas from 100 yrds out.

CMF

WKR
My question is do you prefer to hunt this habitat versus a meadow or just timber.
I find them more between timber and meadows, bedding in timber, feeding in meadows. It probably has a lot to do with where you hunt them and the pressure. Alot of the aspen I see is usually on steep slopes and thicker underbrush, which I'd assume is an area they would prefer if there is heavy pressure, as long as there is feed in there.

WCB

WKR
They browse. Look at all the forage shoulder to knee high....you will see it nipped off. Yes they come out to meadows and eat "grasses" or weeds etc. But they are eating leaves, buds, etc. Essentially any plant in there including the young aspen. Elk will bed where they don't get bothered...dark timber, thick Aspen, thin aspen, wide open hill sides etc.

If the elk are talking right before first light and right after last light...pay attention to where they are doing that and the direction they are moving. Try to get in front of them sometime by hours. One tactic I think doesn't get used enough is getting out well before first light and getting a good direction on elk and staying until after last light if the elk are bugling and doing the same thing. Did this many times...elk bugling for a couple hours before daylight. As daylight approaches they start a direction then shut up. Then after dark they start up again or right at last light. Coming towards where the shut up in the morning. Could be a mile difference...you just bracketed their first light/morning movement. When you here them in the evening you and the start talking they are probably within a couple hundred yards of their bedding. Guess where I would creep into late afternoon.

Beendare

WKR
Unless they are eating in an alfalfa field, hunting archery seasons on OTC, I wouldn't focus on what they eat. It's all about hunter pressure.