Elk ground meat

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone prefer to do with their elk ground meat? Add beef or pork or nothing? Last time I didn't add anything and it's so lean it doesn't bind well...

I've never had an issue with straight grind but you can mix in an egg. I don't add fat because I use most of it for chili and tacos and stuff that I would drain the fat from any way.

shwacker

FNG
I only do straight elk. For burgers, I've mixed in a little olive oil or bear grease right before cooking as I make the patties to get them to stick together better. Very little is needed. I imagine sausages are a different beast but haven't gone down that road yet.

WRO

WKR
Beef at 10%, pork goes rancid after 6 months in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I grind it straight and if I want to add anything I’ll do it before cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Guide

WKR
It depends on the animal. If it is a mild flavor cow or younger bull we go 95/5 with beef fat. The 2 rank (for an elk) bulls we had we went with 90/10 and it made it just right. We never go over 90/10 in out elk burger. So nice to cook up some ground meat for a dinner and not have to drain it like grocery store ground beef.

Jay

LoggerDan

WKR
I add bacon and or apples to my grind. Or if I have some bear fat, that. I work outside in the woods and can use that fat. Sometimes I don’t even drain my ground beef fat.

Marshfly

WKR
Zero additions to either elk or antelope. Zero issues making burgers that stick together or anything.

I have no desire to contaminate my organic, grass fed wild game with crappy beef or pork of unknown origins.

Finn16

WKR
Tried 10% beef fat but it wasn't enough for my wife so we always do 20% now. Have also tried bacon ends and pork fat but don't care for the taste plus pork doesn't last as long in the freezer. Have considered doing some w/o any added fat for goulash, hamburg gravy, etc and then the rest with 20% fat for burgers but always end up just doing 20% for all the whole batch.

Geewhiz

WKR
I go 20% beef fat from my parents beef cows. I’d have a hard time buying suet from the store, but I know what they feed their cows and it’s straight up organic. Makes a nice greasy burger. I don’t care if it doesn’t last very long since an elk only lasts our family a few months anyway. Not a fan of pork fat but to each their own .

Straight ground is too lean for me. A burger will burn on the grill and stick to the grate rather than sizzle in its own grease.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I grind half with nothing added for dishes where I don't need fat. However, I do like some beef fat added for hamburgers. I usually just mix in about 10% fatty burger after grinding. I am very anti pork as I like my burgers a bit on the medium rare side. And pork makes it taste a bit odd to me.

Finn16, I've been eating hamburger gravy (as my mom called it) over noodles or potatoes since I was old enough to eat solid food.

Tmac

WKR
No added fat for us. If you roll the patty’s in your hand, they start to get tacky, then smash them down fry/grill. Keeps them from crumbling fairly well.

Ucsdryder

WKR
What does everyone prefer to do with their elk ground meat? Add beef or pork or nothing? Last time I didn't add anything and it's so lean it doesn't bind well...
I don’t add anything. Double grind and work the patties a little when you make burgers. They’ll bind just fine. You can also add an egg and some breadcrumbs.