Elk Decoy Worth It?

gelton

WKR
Looking at at Montana Elk Decoy and wondering if they are worth their ~ 3lb weight penalty. Had two close encounters during bow season last year and both times I felt like a decoy would have helped.

Whos carrying em' and are they working? Seen em work on TV but wondering about real world experience.

Randle

WKR
I have the rump decoy it works good but I don't always carry it. It doesn't weight 3 lbs, may 1 if that and it gives enough visual to do the job with out the stakes

KMT

WKR
I have one. About 5 or 6 years ago, I called in a bull to about 40 yards. I misjudged the distance and shot over him. My arrow smacked a rock and he ran off. About 5 minutes later he came circling from the other side. I didn't miss that time. So, yes, I think they work.

Are they worth hauling around? I bring the decoy with me every year, but I haven't taken it out of the truck since then for 5 years. I don't like hauling the extra weight. And I don't typically think I need a decoy.

Im in the same boat. Solo last year called in a big boy to have a few cows trot in while the bull was facing me at 30 yards his head down and still walking in... the cows were alert and nervous, got down wind of me and busted out and took the bull with them. I had a clear chest shot on the bull at 20 yards but it was my first year hunting with my longbow so didn't take it though:/ I was wishing i had a decoy set up where I had been calling from, I don't think the cows would have been so on edge and maybe that bull would have stepped to 15 yards, would have sunk the arrow in at that point.

Ive been on the fence but I think I'll be picking one up since I hunt half the season alone.

the Heads Up decoy weighs next to nothing and can fit in a daypack with the rest of your gear if thats what your running. you can pack it and forget it, untill that one situation comes up where it might be the difference,and then you have it.They are pretty slick.

dotman

WKR
I have owned a few but the only one I ever used was the heads up and it worked like a charm, if only the guy shooting could of gotten past his nerves on his first elk it would of worked. That said I also have the poison arrow and a MT decoy, never used either as 95% of the time I just don't tthink about it or take the time to setup or the situation has developed too quickly and I haven't had a chance to deploy or remember to try it.

So I'm 50/50 on it and it is more dependent on your style, I just forget about it too often, truthfully I'd take a heads up over the others. It has a decent price and it folds up small, weight is low and it is very well built, I also like how it is an actual outline and compact.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I have 3, currently only carry the broadside cow decoy now. I leave the legs at home, fold it up and use a $1.99 grip clamp from harbor freight to keep it folded or to attach it to the back side of a tree.
I used it last year to walk past a spike, then standing in the road trying multiple times to fold it up and having it pop open, I was charged by a 5x. Darnedest thing I've ever seen. Finally made me a believer.

Bar

Banned
You want to look, and sound like an elk? Sounds like a good way to get shot by some rookie.

2rocky

WKR
They work. Killed my first elk with one in 2006. Darn bull circled back to the decoys after I put an arrow in him.

The rump decoy could be hung on a branch sans legs if you have enough cover.

Beendare

WKR
I've used them for many years

small 6pt cropped.jpg

...and like them. There is a bit of a learning curve to them.
I've called for guys that are fidgeting around while i'm calling.......with my binos i've spotted elk 100yds through the woods staring at the decoy.... but hold up after picking up the hunter [I was calling for] movements. of course when I tell my friend they say, "What elk?"

They can work well for those bulls that just hang up just out of range- depending on how you call. When you set up, its best to give them time to work. Pic is a bull at about 15' staring at my decoy- I'm laying flat on the ground with the deke to my left behind me.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Awesome info, sounds like they are definitely worth the xtra weight.

I called in a bull last year, heard it coming in and then everything went quite for about ten minutes. Looked over my shoulder and the damn thing was standing 25 yards away looking dead at me. No telling how long he was standing there. He stepped out though and busted me drawing my bow.

Called in another one that circled downwind and was standing near a group of trees 7 yards from me. Had my bow drawn and everything but he just would not take the extra step and then after about 30 seconds of staring at each other he turned back towards the cover and trotted off.

Its amazing how the elk can pinpoint exactly where you are calling from and hunting solo on the ground I found I was at a big disadvantage. I am convinced that with a decoy I would have closed the deal on at least one of those bulls.

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
I have had them work when you have the time and space to set up the decoy and then stage between the decoy and the incoming bull. I have also had to backtrack to pick up the decoy when the bull didn't cooperate. My best experience with them has been in a partner set up when my caller either sets the decoy and calls from nearby or uses the decoy for cover while calling and the shooter can then get in front 60-100 yards and intercept an incoming bull. The only negative I have seen from this set-up is when a real hot bull comes screaming in and blows past the shooter with the intent of inspecting the decoy. That has only happened a couple of times, but that kind of encounter is still a great success.

Just saw the Poison Arrow decoys. Looks like the Headsup, but I'd love to have the thing wrapped around an extra arrow and then just stick that arrow in the ground.
I thought the same thing but sticking it in the ground would result in an upside down decoy. Maybe the elk won't care..

Beendare

WKR
Wyohunt brings up a good point....you have to be ready. I have had them hang back....and then just come charging in so fast its hard to get drawn on them.

So my hunt in 2013, I was working that burned timber 2 hrs before dark shadowing a good sounding bull. I just couldn't get close enough in the dark as it was nasty, steep rocky country [stumbling around in the dark] the herd was still about 300 yds away on the opposite hillside as it was getting light so I popped out my decoy and very slowly worked towards them [about 15 cows, good bull and a spiker] at about 150-200yds they were getting happy feet so I stopped, and setup. They started to line out across the hill with the bull pushing them. i started my excited cow calling and little trick I do with the decoy.

The herd wated noting to do with me.....but that spike started dancing around and swung out in front of the herd coming right down to me.....pulling the whole herd past me at about 35 yds [in my wind too!] as the elk moved past they spooked but kept going with the bull taking up the rear. He never even felt the arrow hit him- just stood there with a low pass through as all the other elk were running amok. Heck, if he is going to give me another shot I'm taking it....and that one quartered into his off shoulder and got him moving....

about 1/2 the elk spooked back across the canyon...the bull and the others ran away further down canyon on my side where I couldn't see. I started screaming like I just learned to bugle....over and over. The elk on the other side of the canyon had stopped and were looking back across where i estimated the bull was for maybe 5 minutes. Yes! Then they took off. I peeked over just to make sure he was done....and yep, he only went maybe 50-60 yds.

The point of my long boring ramblings-.............. without that deke- I never would have had a shot

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Check out my decoys. Poison Arrow Gear. You can leave it on your arrow in your quiver or pop it out and hold it in your hand like a Heads Up. You can also use it like a Montana decoy by tying it on a bush or tree. My decoys only weigh 3.3 oz.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Check out my decoys. Poison Arrow Gear. You can leave it on your arrow in your quiver or pop it out and hold it in your hand like a Heads Up. You can also use it like a Montana decoy by tying it on a bush or tree. My decoys only weigh 3.3 oz.
^ Great decoys ^

I really like mine. Very versatile and light enough for us backcountry hunters.

Never used any other decoy but the quartering to cow from mt decoy. I ditch the leg poles and use small $1 spring clamps to attach it to limbs or pecker poles. That or I just plant it in a bush/fir where it will be verticle and visible. I scuff the clamps up with sand paper and "camo" with flat black and/or olive drab spray paint. Whatever decoy you choose, they are very much worth the pita in my experience.