Elk Camp Delicacy

cnelk

WKR
Preparing food for elk camp so I decided to cure and smoke a wild hog rear ham.

I deboned the ham and made two portions. I then made a brine with Kosher salt, sugar, honey, quick cure and water.

I let it soak in the brine for 36 hours, then I seasoned it and trussed the portions up.

Smoked with hickory for 5 hours at 225

Turned out awesome
C’mon September!

00BB322A-8578-46B2-AA2C-F25435BDDA60.jpeg

4E5BCAEC-DB88-4DB2-8037-F9CC71F53A67.jpeg

Looks good! I smoked a pork butt last weekend and a brisket this weekend. Ate some and froze the rest to take along to elk camp in a few weeks.

let me know where you're setting up I'll swing by, you can hunt safely knowing I'll be watching the food for you ;)

Clarktar

WKR
Probably a neophyte question,but why the quick cure in the brine?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Probably a neophyte question,but why the quick cure in the brine?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The sodium nitrate [quick cure] not only gives the meat a cure, it also gives the internal meat a nice red color

And here all along, I thought I was living good splurging for Peak meals that I get to eat 10 minutes before I crawl into my sleeping bag only to wake up a few hours later and do it all over again. lol

My wife and I seriously need to re-evaluate our priorities while we are on "Vacation"...lol

Looking good.

I did a brisket yesterday that I'm planning to save a big chunk of for a few lunch tacos.

Preparing food for elk camp so I decided to cure and smoke a wild hog rear ham.

I deboned the ham and made two portions. I then made a brine with Kosher salt, sugar, honey, quick cure and water.

I let it soak in the brine for 36 hours, then I seasoned it and trussed the portions up.

Smoked with hickory for 5 hours at 225

Turned out awesome
C’mon September!

View attachment 442845

View attachment 442846
Man that looks really good and you obviously did a great job on it. I'll have to try this, we eat a lot of wild hog down here but I've not ever prepared it in a way I'd call a delicacy.